“Best Kept Secret in Los Angeles!!” 5 of 5 stars

Petit Ermitage
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   8822 Cynthia St, West Hollywood, CA 90069   |
Ranked #7 of 17 hotels in West Hollywood
new york
“Best Kept Secret in Los Angeles!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2013

Petit Ermitage met our expectations and then some! My wife and I were visiting LA for pleasure and wanted a boutique hotel experience. We were drawn to the private roof-top pool and the intimate, detail-oriented atmosphere. We were not disappointed. From the moment we arrived, we were given the royal treatment. The valet service is excellent as is the front door staff. We were upgraded from a demi to junior suite with a balcony-a beautifully appointed, spacious room with all the comforts including a working fireplace! Loved that! The hallways smelled of luscious aromas and the pool top club was as private and gorgeous as expected with phenomenal service! Our first night at dinner we felt we as if we were in our own private restaurant with our own waitress. The food was delicious and fresh with a definite California flair. The specialty cocktails were amazing--a must try.
We appreciated the room service and ordered in for breakfast every day. Prices were high, but the food was excellent and well worth it. Try the smoothies and the yogurt with granola--fantastic!

The only complaint we had was a housekeeping issue on the day of the big rooftop party. Seems that the staff was too busy preparing for the party to clean our room. We were also irritated because the hotel did not inform us that the pool area would be closed for party prep in the afternoon. We had planned to sit poolside so this put a damper on our afternoon.

Other than these small issues, the hotel was incredible and we would definitely return. A real oasis in the midst of LA.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple

514 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (84)
Hilton Head, South Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2013

This is a place to retreat and hideaway. If you are seeking a ritz carlton style bar, 800 count sheets and a spa , this is not the place for you. On the other hand, if you are looking for an absolutely "Bohemian" (for lack of a better term) then this is right up your alley. If you like the foundation room at House of Blues, then you'll love staying here

Rooms are minimalistic yet comfortable with big screen etc. But the real value is the roof top pool, bar and seating areas. to the other reviewer that didn't like the tattered look, your crazy, thats what makes it comfortable. It is deprivation chic at its best.

Food was simple yet creative and well presented. I had the Salmon Pita twice during our stay , again simple yet delicious. Service during the day was very good, not excellent, but very good.

My only critic was my early morning experience. The rooftop opens at 7am for breakfast, which to me means they should be ready at 6:45am waiting for their first guest. Rather , I arrived at 6:54am and found nothing set up, mopping going on, staff out of uniform and frankly "morning surly". At 6:58am I asked for tea as was told "we open at 7". For an establishment of this caliber I would expect more consistency and hospitality regardless of the time of day or night.

To end on a good note, artwork throughout all of the hallways on each floor or worth a gander and the location is in the middle of some of the best dining venues in Los Angeles.

Steve H.

Room Tip: Ask for the City side.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2013

This was my second stay (11/10-11/12) at the petit ermitage in West Hollywood and as always they exceeded my expectations. This hip bohemian styled hotel is in the perfect location between Sunset and Santa Monica blvd right in the middle of all the action West Hollywood has to offer. The rooftop salt water pool was gorgeous at night time and the artwork that lined the hallways gave this hotel a really cool feel. The hotel staff was more than accommodating and the girls working the front desk were a lot of fun! Definitely one of the best boutique hotels in West Hollywood and I will definately be staying here next time I'm in LA. Thanks guys! -William Henkle

Room Tip: The suites on the first floor are pet friendly!
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
Los Angeles, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2013

We were invited to brunch by hotel guests at the roof top restaurant. . .beautiful large table under the canopy in the middle of the roof top garden. The view was expansive, the garden, table and setting could not have been better. What a great atmosphere. . . and if that is all you care about you will be VERY happy. Otherwise, do not eat here. The food was uninspired and strange. . .and took FOREVER to come out of the kitchen. At a table of 12, no one wanted to complain (people didn't know each other very well) but no one looked happy. My meal. . . the mediterranean plate, was a disaster. . . do not ever order this. A quarter of a piece of pita bread diced into micro-triangles, hummus that was . . . awful. . .some strange I don't know what combo of tomatoes watermelon onions and spices. . .and flat squares of what presumably was falafal. . . tasteless, tough, cold, rectangular shaped and texture of leather. . . not the tasty spicey chick pea balls expected. Service was SLOW and delivered by a space cadet who managed to spill a canister of olive oil on me. Not a drop, the cannister. . . on my jacket. Thank heavens it wasn't an expensive jacket. . . anyway, I sense this was not out of the ordinary. . . the entire "restaurant" seemed very laissez faire, slow, clueless and tasteless in terms of food. So. . . make sure to check out this rooftop atmosphere. . . but be careful what you order. Some of the other entrees that no one looked happy with included various eggs benedict, eggs, salads and hamburger. Ah well. . . there are a million places to eat within a short walk

Room Tip: We went to our friends room. . . it was dark/dank and on the first floor near the bathroom available...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Montclair, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2013

I stayed here while visiting my daughter at a nearby college. The rooms are large and quiet, the bed was very comfortable and my room had a sitting area with a small balcony. The fabrics and furniture are very bohemian. We loved the rooftop pool area. Although we did not swim, we enjoyed lounging on the large beds and looking out over LA as it is on the roof. Dinner in the butterfly sanctuary was fantastic and brunch was delicious. I will definitely be back.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
Leiden, The Netherlands
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2013

Finishing up a roadtrip through California, we stayed at the Petit Ermitage in West Hollywood for two nights. It is an absolutely wonderful hotel, very well situated between Sunset Blvd and Santa Monica Blvd, in a nice quiet neighbourhood. On the outside, one might describe it as unassuming. However, looks are deceiving; on the inside this hotel has a tastefully styled, designed and decorated atmosphere. Especially the artwork along the hallways is impressive and shows the excellent taste of the owners.

While our car was parked by the valet, we were impeccably assisted by the valet and by the hotel desk clerk. We had booked a junior suite, and this turned out to be a very nice and pretty large room looking out over the quiet street in front of the hotel. Again, styling was very much to our tastes, and both the bedroom and bathroom were absolutely, spotlessly clean. The bed was excellent, and without even the slightest noise from either the street or from inside the hotel, we slept like a baby.

When staying at the Petit Ermitage, a special mention has to be given to the wonderful private rooftop club. It is an absolute joy to visit. My wife and I settled on the cabana with a great view of the hills, and enjoyed some perfectly made cocktails served by very professional servers, before also enjoying a perfect diner in the rooftop restaurant area. In fact, diner was so enjoyable that we had diner there for both nights we stayed. Breakfast too was excellent: great coffee and delicious fresh food.

Staying at the Petit Ermitage was an absolute joy, and my wife and I would have no hesitations in staying here again. Even in the wonderful and huge city of Los Angeles with plenty of places to stay, a hotel like the petit Ermitage is an absolute gem. Highly recommended!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Columbus, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2013

This is a terrific hotel if you're looking for a boutique hotel that will give you an experience you will always remember. It is pricey, and was a splurge for me. I crossed my fingers that it would not disappoint, and it did not! The hotel is so unique. It has a totally bohemian style. It is like a Tim Burton circus. This hotel is not for you if you are uptight or very conservative in your views. It has a great, dark sense of humor. European (topless) pool, intimacy kits in the bedrooms, abstract drawings in the stairwell of mouths popping pills. It is very tastefully executed, but not for those whose idea of a perfect hotel experience is the Ritz Carleton. Absolutely DO NOT leave this hotel without having dinner in the rooftop restaurant. The atmosphere is georgeous, and the food and drink were literally the best I have ever had...anywhere. It was so unique, and perfectly prepared. The staff is so friendly and accomodating. The only disappointment for me is that photography is prohibited anywhere in the hotel....I would have loved to get pictures of all the details. Not sure if they do this because of celebs or the European pool, but they say it's because of all the antique pieces of art (yeah right). You won't regret staying here!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Petit Ermitage? Share your experiences!