“Charming hotel in quiet streets of West Hollywood.” 4 of 5 stars

Petit Ermitage
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   8822 Cynthia St, West Hollywood, CA 90069   |
Ranked #7 of 17 Hotels in West Hollywood
Melbourne, Australia
“Charming hotel in quiet streets of West Hollywood.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2013

I booked a total of three separate stays with this hotel over the course of my 8 week vacation and each time the hotel lived up to my expectations. Firstly the hotel is not your typical 'modern' hotel, which alarmed me at first but it actually has a unique charm to it that I found oddly appealing.

The rooftop pool area is just lovely, it's the perfect mix of sun, water and calming and relaxing! The hotel is located one street back from WeHo's main strip, so you're close to the action but far enough away to enjoy some peace and quiet.

The rooms are equipped with modern applicances, including flat screen TV, fireplace, split-system air conditioning and some rooms with coffee machines. I'll also point out that the added benefit of free wifi is another plus, combined with the friendly staff, they all contribute to a fabulous experience with this hotel.

I will however note that some minor issues with the hotel should be taken into consideration. Firstly, the elevator (one only) is extremely slow and old, so I tended to use the stairs to access my room. The hotel is old, and it uses this in it's eclectic charm, but I feel that possibly they may be an excuse to mask a run down hotel. The bath in one of the rooms was extremely dirty, clearly stained and needed to be resprayed or at the least a decent clean!

Also, you feel a bit dirty sitting on the couch or bare feet on the carpet, they too could use some thorough cleaning or replacing! I think that if it wasn't for the location, and the staff I would probably rate this hotel around 2-3 because it doesn't meet the 'hospitality' standards of what one would consider 4 star. However, this hotel is a boutique hotel and well priced so you need to consider this!

I'd likely stay with this hotel again, I'm impressed that they managed to maintain consistent service during 3 separate visits and that alone encourages me to return again!

Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (94)
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2013

The hotel was in a perfect location for me in West Hollywood, well enough in the mix but not the craziness of Sunset. The room was beautiful as is the decor of the hotel in general. The roofdeck is a perfect place for meeting or to relax. Overall I look forward to returning the next time in LA.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2013

True, from the outside, the hotel appears to be a revamp of an older apartment building. Once you enter, you realize the building has been through a major renovation to rival any 4 star. The original artwork throughout makes you realize the amount of thought and effort that has gone into this hotel. The rooftop pooldeck and lounge has got to be one of the best places to catch some rays on the continent. In fact, I am sure I read an article saying exactly that. I did ignore the servers who although were only doing their job, so I can't blame them, hovered when it wasn't busy; A bit counter-productive to a lazy day reading, breathing, resting. -- again, not complaining. I have to say I enjoyed every track of the lounge music being played. Nice touch.

Now, the possible negatives: Ready? the furnishings were designed to be old world, I know, but this becomes confused with just " old and tired" furniture in the Executive suite itself. Next, pricing for valet was exceptionally high for guests. It is a necessary evil to park here since WeHo is fameous for ticket and tow in this permit only area, and each time I valet the car, I am reminded of this CASH GRAB management has decided to deliver to it's guests. Enough with overcharging guests at an above average room rate hotel ....really!

I am ending with a positive: the cookies at reception are delicious. mmmm

Room Tip: if you plan on rooftop lounging, get the top floor.
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013

The hotel looks dodgy from outside. The rooms are just ok. Rooftop is amazing. Movie night great idea.
Unfortunately we had a very bad experience. After all afternoon in the swimming pool, when we got back to the room my boyfriend realized that he had left his iphone in the swimming pool. We call my boyfriend's number but it was already disconnected. We went back upstairs and after looking for it everywhere and asked all the waiters we could not find it. The hotel staff told us that they would look for it and would call us once they had news. We went out for dinner and when we came back still no phone. I got really upset and asked how come they did not review the cctv tapes... And said I would call the police. After this we went back to the room. And guess what, after a while the hotel manager knocked on our door with my boyfriend's iphone who had magically appeared!! It was hard to sleep that night... Now you take your own conclusions.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Nico H, General Manager at Petit Ermitage, responded to this review, August 3, 2013
Dear M M,

First and foremost I would like to thank you very much for staying with us and for taking the time to submit a review on Trip Advisor. Furthermore I would like to extend my sincere apologies regarding the fact that you were not able to enjoy your stay at the Petit Ermitage the way you had anticipated and that our concierge has not dealt with your concerns in a professional and timely manner. Rest assured that I have addressed the the issue personally.

However, I am obviously deeply peturbed by your comment about the alleged missing item and would love the opportunity to get to the bottom of the incident, since I am the Hotel Manager/General Manager at the Petit Ermitage, but I did not have the pleasure of meeting you during your stay.

As mentioned before, I would love to have the opportunity to resolve the above mentioned issue and hope that we will be able to welcome you back to the Petit Ermitage in the near future.

Nico
Roswell, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2013 via mobile

The hotel is in a good location. We had a quick in and out weekend and needed a fun place in this area. The room was big, spacious and comfortable. Reception was prompt and attentive. The rooftop bar and restaurant appears to be a draw for the eclectic. Food is very good but be aware that drinks are expensive and lack the expected amount of alcohol for what you pay. Service is friendly but can be slow. Great people watching

• Stayed July 2013
Helsinki, Finland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2013

We (husband and I) booked this hotel because of good deal location and good reviews. We knew what to expect, that there might be little hick up's etc, but when many little things went wrong causing our holiday having a sourish end, feel sorry to write a average review.

We knew that check in is late, 4pm. Arrived to the hotel at noon, so very early. Front desk people were very friendly and nice, we got informed that we had an upgrade, which was very lovely surprise. Left the bags on holding, under my name and spent some time in WeHo.
Came back to the hotel around 3 pm, room wasn't ready yet, which was expected. This allowed us to spend some time at the rooftop bar, which is a really lovely area.

Room was available around 4pm when we went back to the check-in area, waited another 15 mins before the key was ready, got my credit card swiped again (should have been so much more alert here!), which is normal even when your rooms are prepaid. Got the keys and the card with the room number, luggage was supposed to follow us in short time.
First hick up happened next and caused ripples for the rest of the holiday: we couldn't get in to the room, keys didn't work. Lovely worker who we saw on the floor, offered to help us out and let us in to the room + went down to get the keys activated. He was very helpful and polite, kudos for that!
Next we ended up waiting for over an hour for our luggage to arrive... it didn't turn up and we had to call the desk, only to be told to come downstairs to identify the bags and to be told the credit card was expired. This obviously got us bit wary, since the card should be fine etc. The credit card error we got told on phone turned out to be just that they needed to write the expiration date down, surprised why wasn't it written down in the first place when we checked in. Guess that could be one of those little things to be ironed out..

Long story short - turned out when we went to reception, our bags were held under my maiden name, so they couldn't find them (I use a combination name and someone had dropped the end part away when cards were written on our bags). This had caused the confusion with the bags...
Next came information that we had been put into a wrong room, our room keys were allocated to a different room than what the cardholder and what we got told when keys were handed over - this was due to the system they have were the keys are physically held in the little locker system. My credit card was swiped to a wrong room...meaning that the money they were holding was a LOT more than it should have been...causing my card to be maxed out (still waiting it to be cleared of from my card after 10 days, not sure if this is because of the bank or the hotel). I couldn't use my card because of this for the rest of the holiday because of the pending request... Not the biggest disaster in the world, but a bit of a hindrance on your holiday funds. This was obviously just a human error, but never the less, unsatisfactory service in that point of view.
Have to say that people at the desk were nice, but damage was done and so be it.

All in all - while we stayed there rooms were lovely and everything in there worked. Didn't use any of room service etc. but the beds were lovely to sleep in, rooms were tidy and hotel was quiet. :) Had some good sleeps there! Location is wonderful if you are into Sunset Strip or Santa Monica Blvd's activities - everything is so close by!

Plusses:
- Location
- Rooms
- Cleanlines
- Rooftop area

Minuses:
- Too much hassle for the money you are paying for a night in a four star hotel
- Make sure, double check that you get a right room key
- Make sure that they swipe your card for a right room

Just because those unfortunate mistakes that made our stay start and end with more somber mood than happy, means we're choose to stay somewhere else. With four stars you do expect the service to work - I don't expect anything over the top from hotels: clean, everything works and it is good to have a rest.
Still want to thank the staff over at Petit, we have no complains over their attitude, everyone was nice. Maybe it is the background processes that need tuning up and communication?

Claremont, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013

This hotel turned out to be everything most say about it. Close to bars and restaurants, but very much a few blocks away in a quiet neighborhood. It really is a relaxing oasis in the heart of the West Side - a hybrid approach carried off well, far better in my opinion than most boutique hotels. The service, though not always perfect, clearly shows a sense of intent by all that they want to give you a perfect experience. Personally witnessed the Bar Manager leave the premises and return with liquor that a customer requested, but he didn't have. This effort was given for what turned out to be what most would consider 'low-brow' booze, not the other way around. I place this act under the heading of 'outstanding service above and beyond the call of duty'. Quiet neighborhood living makes this hotel extra comfortable The rooftop bar, poolside seating, along with a few other rooftop environs make one feel like they have landed in a very exclusive, private club. Beautiful surroundings, and views at sunset, and beyond. Highly recommend.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Petit Ermitage? Share your experiences!