“Moroccan Inspired Luxury” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #7 of 17 Hotels in West Hollywood
Las Vegas, Nevada
“Moroccan Inspired Luxury”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

I once worked with a Moroccan gentleman and he was most distasteful, boorish, and unpleasant. It’s a good thing I didn’t let this gentleman influence my choice in hotels. I recently stayed with the Moroccan inspired Petit Ermitage in West Hollywood and must say I was taken aback when I arrived – and pleased.

The hotel, nestled in a residential neighborhood (the property was an apartment building in a former life) sneaks up on you and can easily be missed. The valet dressed in ivy and the entryway is flanked with gas burning lanterns, which made me feel very at home arriving at 2am; a flickering glowing beacon. My suite, if one might call this a suite, I suspect was larger than many residences in the busy surrounding neighborhood and provided all the comforts of home. A step down living room, fireplace, kitchen, well-appointed bath (who doesn’t like C.O. Bigelow?), and large screens and technology throughout. The Moroccan theme and colors magenta, mustards and browns make one feel very at home. Moreover, I spent more than five hours at the rooftop private club, pool, and restaurant and bar and report they are all top notch and not a single complaint. If I were to identify any detractions I might mention the very, very small elevator and, albeit well appointed, the very small bath (even in my suite); not to mention

Bellmen in Moroccan attire including headdress, yet wearing Nike athletic shoes – a mild oversight. Such small things will never get in the way of my next visit.

Would I recommend Petit Ermitage you ask? But of course. I not only recommend a stay with the Petit Ermitage, I am already planning my return. Next time with targets set on a romantic weekend. Petit Ermitage fits the bill.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (94)
Montefollonico, Italy
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2013

A charming hotel with antique furniture and paintings gallery with valet parking where Santa Monica Boulevard as well as Sunset Boulevards are easily accessible. The rooms are really cosy with all you can ask for. The hotel is not noisy as it is situated on a side street. But there are eateries very near to the hotel. The staff is courteous and the walks at night are inviting.

Room Tip: Our room has a door to the garden so air conditioning was not necessary
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2013

I have read a few of the reviews on here and must say I am quite surprised. My stay at Petit Ermitage was wonderful. The customer service was top notch. The Rooftop Pool area was so relaxing and I had invited friends who live in West Hollywood to come over and check it out. They had no idea the hotel existed and felt like they were 'on vacation' as we had lunch with the hummingbirds. Everyone who worked at the hotel was kind and helpful....( except for one bartender on the roof who apparently hates his job and wishes to be on film ). The room service was very fast, the staff at the front desk were very cheery and the dudes who hang by the elevator make me feel like I was in a Wes Anderson movie ! The location is also a bonus... right below Sunset Blvd - and right above Santa Monica blvd. Restaurants, Sunset Plaza, Liquor Stores, great restaurants... I mean, I don't know what else you could want. Thank you Petit Ermitage. My stay was a memorable one.

Room Tip: I was on the third floor in room 318 facing Cynthia Street. It had a balcony where I would sit and...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2013

Okay, so I got sucked in by the "boutique hotel / we really value our customers" sort of thing and thought Petit Ermitage looked to be a wonderful place to stay on my wedding night.

The French theme in the rooms and the artwork all over the place were very lovely, as was the rooftop pool. The magic really started to fade, though. Some friends had sent some delicious chocolate covered strawberries to our room before we even checked in, which was an awesome touch. When trying to order another batch of them later on, the answer we got was "uhhh, those were a special order....I'll have to call you back."

"I'll have to call you back?" Petit Ermitage finds it fun to insinuate no wish is too great... to quote their website: "Should you wish your Honor Bar to be filled solely with Chocolate Meringues, or have Sunset Boulevard closed so you might walk your Giraffe - your wish is the Liaison's command..." My Liaison (which you get with the Masters Quarters rooms) seemed nice enough but, when his phone rang and rang and went to voicemail, I just started calling the front desk with any questions or requests I had because I knew someone would pick up.

Also, their billing seems to be absolutely horrendous. If you choose to stay at Petit Ermitage, watch for extra charges that might pop up on your credit card. In my case, these were the problems:

1. They put a hold on my credit card for the room AND parking bundled together. When I then ended up paying for parking in cash at checkout time, they billed the credit card as a separate charge for the room itself. The combo of the hold AND the adjusted, room-only charge nearly maxed out my credit card.

2. There is now a separate, $32 charge on my card that popped up - that amount happens to be the cost of parking which, as mentioned, was paid in cash.

3. There is also a $40 charge that popped up. I can't even begin to imagine what that one is for. I called the hotel (on a Saturday night) to see what the charges are attributed to, and they transferred me to accounting. As most accountants probably don't work Saturday night shifts, I couldn't get an update for a couple days.

Bottom line, don't stay here. They have a slick website, but take particular notice that their "manifesto" is all about "you can do this," rather than "we can do this for you."

UPDATE: As a follow-up, two of the managers called me. They both acknowledged mistakes made and sounded sincere. The $40 charge was for a bottle of WINE that I picked (from a choice of red, white, or champagne) that was included with the Masters Quarter room. A bottle of CHAMPAGNE was in the room on ice when I arrived, however, so I moved that to the mini-fridge and took the bottle of red by the snack bar in the room. I called the hotel when I got home (20 min. after checking out) to let them know I took the red and that the champagne was in the fridge, to make sure they wouldn't bill me in case they overlooked it. I was told it would be no problem and was billed for it regardless.

Judging by some of the other reviews, the hotel can, at times, provide decent service... but let this serve as a notice of the headaches they are also capable of.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Los Angeles, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2013

I was referred to this hotel by a friend of mine whose opinion I trust. I was highly disappointed (and so was my friend) in the customer service, cleanliness and responsiveness.

I am planning my birthday party, and I called twice on 2/27 to request to speak to the reservations department. I called 310-854-1114 at 9:56A, and the first time was transferred by a gentleman to the reservations voicemail. I called a second time at 11:45A, spoke to a gentleman (not sure if it was the same one) who said that the reservations department was unavailable and that if I had previously left a message, it would be returned shortly. I never got a call back.

I happened to be the in area the next day and stopped by and asked for the manager. I met the Revenue and Reservations Manager, Mesut Erkoc. I explained to him that I had a party in a few weeks and would like to book 1-3 rooms and maybe the pool side for a party. He all but rolled his eyes as he showed me several rooms. I mentioned to him that I might want to book the pool area for different parties in the future, but that didn't seem to make a dent in his frosty demeanor.

The final straw was when I mentioned that my two calls the day before were not returned. Mesut really didn't have an explanation or apology. Do they NOT need the business that badly that they can't return voicemails on their reservations line promptly?

As a side note, the decor was not my taste but I am really complaining about the service. There was a eaten watermelon rind on the stand in front of the front desk - I mentioned it to Mario at the front desk, and he was nice about it - maybe he should be promoted to Mesut's place.

I am sorry to write a negative review, but I feel that a boutique hotel such as this, charging these rates for tiny rooms with expensive parking ($15 for events, $35 for the night) should have superior service and cater to the customer.

It's too bad that the Special Events Manager, Laryssa Stevens, wrote me an email promptly with information about booking events - because of my experience, I will be booking my birthday celebration somewhere else...too much attitude - not worth it!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2013

Stayed here for a week while on business. The room was unfortunately very shabby and in my opinion not worth what I was charged to stay in it. The rooftop bar was lovely and staff very helpful, but I was also the only one up there. They could do with a good remodeling as the hotel is in a good location and this could bring them happier guests.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
Ann K, General Manager at Petit Ermitage, responded to this review, April 1, 2013
Dear Spurs 1985,

thank you for taking the time to review our property. We are happy you enjoyed our Private Rooftop Club with our Garden, heated salt water pool and firedeck, as well as our staff and service. The overall feel and decor of Petit Ermitage, including its suites is based around an antique, bohemian theme and certainly not for everyone, but I assure you, each item in the suite, from the Moroccan mirrors, handwoven Turkish carpets or 618 thread count Egyptian cotton linens is a high-end luxury item and has been picked with the utmost care. I would be happy to give you a tour of some of our suites when you return, so that you can select one you prefer most, as each suite is slightly different from the next. Thank you again for leaving us this note, it is truly appreciated and valued so we can contstantly grow, expand and exceed guest's expectations on future stays.
Seattle
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2013

My husband and I were looking for our new "LA" place to stay and came across this hotel on another website. And by the photos, we were very excited to stay here. Upon arrival, the valet were very welcoming as well as the front desk staff. Josh, the butler greeted us in tour room and asked if he could be of further assistance. He was quite pleasant. When we retired that night, we could still hear the band playing and smell the smoke coming in from where they have an ashtray on every table outside on the rooftop but placing a towel at the bottom of the door and using earplugs solved both of these challenges.

We tried twice the next morning to go to the pool but were bombarded in the small area by smokers so we decided to leave and get ready for our day. That evening when we returned late the same challenges of the night before occurred but with a few people getting loud and arrogant upon leaving the bar so as to wake up all the guests in the hotel (even with ear plugs!)

But this was just the start to our nightmare!

On our third day, I became distraught when I could not find my diamond earrings (which were gifted to me by my husband on our first wedding anniversary). My friend had arrived and we searched the room from top to bottom and looked through our suitcases, around the carpet, in the safe, bathroom, etc... They were nowhere to be found. We alerted the office manager who casually said he would look into it. I kept thinking the staff would update me but we heard nothing back from him. No one came to the room, we were never contacted by the General manager. I got very nervous and phoned our insurance agent. She told me not to wait for the hotel and to call the police immediately which I did.

The police showed and we again went through the room and even took out all the contents of the safe including the small piece of carpet which laid on the bottom, shook it , felt around the bottom of the safe and placed the carpet back in once we all noticed nothing. At this time, the office manager also met with the police who informed them that this was a serious matter, that we would prosecute. It was very strange to us that after three hours the hotel security had not even been to our room. It just didn't seem that a charge of grand theft happen to be an urgent matter.

After filing a report and feeling extremely violated, I was shaking for the rest of the day and never was able to get to work. My husband had left town on business so i reluctantly left to attend a friends birthday dinner. When I returned back to the hotel that night, I was concerned for my valuables and wanted to make certain they were safe and securely locked away when to my SHOCK and SURPRISE there were my diamod earrings laying on the carpet of the safe layed out perfectly for me to see!!!! Since I knew they were not there when I had left the room, I realized someone had returned them.

I was both elated and scared at the same time! I was so pleased to have my earrings but also scared at the fact that someone was able to get into where my other valuables were located!!! Needless to say, I didn't sleep more than an hour or two that night!

The next morning I asked the front desk manager to come to the room and explained what happened, even showing him where I had found the earrings. I was again shocked and dismayed by his reaction. He acted as if I had misplaced or "found" my earrings after all and conveniently asked to cancel the police report with the police!!! I did call the police and spoke with one of the officers who told me put the fear of God into the staff and wasn't surprised to see that they were returned but that they would keep an eye on the hotel and their staff.

Clearly something VERY WRONG is going on in this hotel. I decided immediately to depart since I did not feel that my valuables were safe. I spend the morning speaking to the police, our insurance agent and trying to find another hotel in the city where award season is strong and hotel rooms are at a minimum. I NEVER did hear from the General Manager that morning as she told me she would call!!!! Amazing!!!

But the last kicker was when I went to checkout, I was again so distraught and when the front desk manager asked if I was ready to leave, he handed me the bill with NOT a single discount for the inconveniences we had experienced!!!!!!! I was in SHOCK!!!!!! We will NEVER stay here again nor will we EVER recommend this place to our friends or family. It has taken me a few days to simply recover from this ordeal in order to write about it. We are truly disheartened by this experience and in disbelief in how they decided to handle the situation.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for placing your post in a public forum so we might also reply in one.

In order to lock a safe, one must key in a code. You and you alone know your code. In the very rare instance that a member of the Security staff has to open a locked safe, the code is automatically wiped clean, in compliance with the manufactures standards. It would be statistically impossible for Security to open your safe (which would wipe any code clean) guess your code and recode your safe to the same code you personally keyed. Since you and you alone opened your safe on three separate occasions: initially to look for your earrings, for the police after you called them and when you discovered your earrings in the same place you left them, it is apparent the only person who touched your safe was you.

Please also allow us to note that immediately following your initial phone call, our staff attempted to address and remedy the situation in the most expedient way possible. Security, our Front Office Manager and our Housekeeping Manager immediately came to your suite and knocked on the door. You were inside it, but refused to open the door. In addition, our head Butler and myself called you a total of 6 times. Some of the times you did not piack up the phone, but both Joshua and I actually did speak to you.

Everyone gets confused, or flustered, or disoriented at one moment in time or another. We are truly glad you found your earrings exactly where you left them. We would be equally grateful if you graciously acknowledged your misperception of the events that transpired in relation to them.

Been to Petit Ermitage? Share your experiences!