“A Real Jewel” 5 of 5 stars

4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   8822 Cynthia St, West Hollywood, CA 90069   |
Ranked #7 of 17 Hotels in West Hollywood
“A Real Jewel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2012

What a great find! A truly unique boutique hotel with a great roof terrace for evening drinks and dinner, and even better in the morning for breakfast watching humming birds feed 4 feet from your table.

Great food, great service and even the mini bar had a twist of it's own. Half litre bottles of premium brands!

We stayed on the Labor Day weekend whilst visiting family in the area. We didn't get to explore the area too much but it's well placed for plenty of night life. Far enough away to be quiet and relaxing. Our stay was part of our honeymoon and we were well looked after.

I found that this hotel was far better than staying in the high end big name chain hotels. Although it is pricey but aren't all LA hotels? If we return to LA, we'll be returning here.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (94)
Apollo Beach, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2012

Well this was my fourth or fifth stay here, so obviously I like this hotel, let me tell you why. First off I have stayed in most of the better westside hotels: W, Hyatt Cent Plaza, Bev Hilton, London, etc. Petit Hermitage gets my business for a great location just down from the strip, its QUIET, yes its in a neighborhood but its actually quiet, open the doors at night and you will sleep wonderfully.

Rooftop is all you've seen from the pictures and more, you will want to move in here-but i am not sure if you can actually live in the hotel.

Had lunch on the roof Friday, great lunch, view, service

Prices are reasonable, people are friendly and helpful. And thats why they are my first choice, in fact its time to book them for my next trip

Room Tip: north facing rooms are on a quiet street, if you go south facing get a room on floors 3 or 4 so you...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
Spartanburg, South Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2012

I would stay here every time I came to LA if I could. I have not one complaint about service, atmosphere, location ~ it all exceeded my expectations. My only regret is that we didn't have more time here.

We stayed in one of the Demi Suites on the 4th floor August 2012. This was the top floor of the hotel ~ same level as the roof top pool and dining. We lucked into this and would request the 4th floor every time. It was nice having the roof top retreat just steps away.

The entire hotel had a very intimate feel. You never saw a lot of people just your self and a hand full of others may be in the same place at once. The hotel has just one elevator (*guarded by a gypsy on the main level) and during our entire stay we never shared it once.
(*actually they have an elevator attendant in costume on the main level ~ if you stay here it will make since)

All parking is valet, attendants are very friendly and helpful. Bit of advice ~ allow the attendants to assist with luggage upon arrival ~ nothing but steps to the front desk.

Check in is at 4pm but we arrived around 3pm, regretfully our room wasn't ready but we were invited to wait in the roof top lounge, I'm so glad we did. We had a few drinks and sat at one of the roof top tables overlooking LA.

Our room, it actually looked better than the photos if you can believe it, I was so excited that it was more beautiful than I had imagined. To top it off when we opened our door they had music playing softly in the background. They have an i-pod docked playing that ethereal music that plays on their website. Just made a great impression.

All lights in the bedroom area had dimmer switches, the fireplace has functioning gas logs on a timer, bed was so comfortable, great room for romance - great hotel for romance. I would say this is more of a couples hotel than a family hotel. The atmosphere is very romantic.

Bath room was extremely nice, plenty of counter space, great water pressure, heat lamp, complimentary robes and slippers, good quality toiletries.

Overall a remarkably wonderful experience, I will stay here again and would recommend this boutique hotel to any and everyone who was going to LA.

Room Tip: The entire hotel was quite, very quite, it actually made you want to whisper in the halls. Honestly...
Fort Worth, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2012

I've stayed in a number of West Hollywood boutique hotels, and Petit Ermitage raises the bar for the rest of them. Quaint without being cliche; luxurious without being ostentatious; quiet, peaceful and comfortable. The rates tend to be (significantly) higher than it's West Hollywood boutique brethren, but likely worth the expense if you want the unique experience and attentive customer service available at this establishment. And who knows - maybe you'll snare a great deal when booking!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Ashland, Oregon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2012

I loved it! Petit Ermitage is new, hot and hip without being modern, crowded or trendy. I guess the secret is that you either have to book a room or be a member of the private club to access the stunning rooftop bar/restaurant/pool/fire-deck area. I for one do not know the owner, Stefan Ashkenazy (who was on the rooftop both days I was there) so I had to book a jr. suite room for my anniversary. Glad I did (I chose PE largely via tripadvisor)!
All the other rave reviews (and the hotel website) accurately depict the eclectic-bohemian-mediterranean decor and vibe so I'll just try to add any important impressions (from most to least trivial):
1. The smell. I think I narrowed it down to sandalwood because I went home and smelled all these cologne testers I got from a department store. Anyway. Awesome. Just the right amount, in my opinion, piped throughout the entire indoors of the property. Maybe they change it depending on the season? Maybe a celebrity requested that smell before his/her arrival? Maybe it's Stefan's cologne and he walks just out-of-sight in front of you everywhere? I don't know but I was down with it.
2. The hotel is situated in a mature, high-end, palm-and-shrub-lined residential neighborhood. Although steps away from food/bars/trader-joes/cbtl on Santa Monica Blvd, it is quiet at night. This makes the rooftop experience serene. I partially chose PE because I want to walk to the party, not sleep in it. I read many reviews of the trendy hotels on nearby Sunset complaining of noise. All. Night. Long. Like I said, Lionel Richie's fun. Until I want to sleep.
3. Okay, it's difficult to generalize customer service for a hotel because each interaction and the people involved are so varied. But, I think I put my finger on it...PE was created for and caters to a jet-set, if not celebrity, clientele. Therefore, some clientele require a certain amount of discretion (hence the no photo/video clause) and some are looking for a place where they won't be bothered. IMO, the entire staff from the front-desk to the rooftop seem to kind of "read you" before warming up (as in our case) to that hospitable, regional tone (I'm thinking it might be a training method because we experienced it universally). And I didn't mind it. They were pleasant but concise at first and then seemed to adjust to my personality (smile, joke, kiss on the mouths?) as the days went on. Anyway, I could have just said that the staff appears to be sensitive to each client's needs and even their personality. Top notch.
Lastly, thank you for the complimentary bottle of Prosecco to celebrate our anniversary!

London, England, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2012

We had a great week at the Petit Ermitage. Very friendly service, fabulous pool / roof deck, and central location but in a neighborhood so away from the Weho craziness. Our butler/concierge Joshua was extremely helpful in organizing a casual cocktail party for some friends. Service at the pool was noteworthy - attentive without being overbearing, and always easy to find someone to help.

One negative - despite a reasonable rate (including breakfast and wifi), there are a lot of additional charges ($30 for parking per night) and food & drink are pretty expensive for what you get.

Also, the decor is funky and cool but the amenities (soaps, mattress, bedding, etc) are only ok.

Room Tip: Spend a little extra to get a "masters quarters" room on the 4th floor. You'll want t...
San Francisco, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2012

My daughter (grown) and I were going to a show at the Troubadour and stayed here for one night. We did not eat at the restaurant, but we did hang out on the roof a bit. This is a special place. The art collection alone makes it somewhere to go, with each floor having a large number of original prints by famous and less well known artists, that are all just great Ithere is a theme of sorts on each floor). I guess the original Miro aquatint in the lobby should give a hint of things to come, but the works by Dali, Rauchenburg, etc. surprised me. The room was really big, and very comfortable. And it was quiet. A short walk to Santa Monica Blvd. gets one to public transport, great restaurants and bars, and music. And then, a few blocks up to PE and you are in a quiet neighborhood (if West Hollywood has such a thing). I stay at chain hotels often, and it is always fun to discover places like PE exist. A romanitc getaway would be that much better here. I cannot say a bad thing about the place.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family

Been to Petit Ermitage? Share your experiences!