“The Anti-Scene” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #7 of 17 Hotels in West Hollywood
Ashland, Oregon
“The Anti-Scene”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2012

I loved it! Petit Ermitage is new, hot and hip without being modern, crowded or trendy. I guess the secret is that you either have to book a room or be a member of the private club to access the stunning rooftop bar/restaurant/pool/fire-deck area. I for one do not know the owner, Stefan Ashkenazy (who was on the rooftop both days I was there) so I had to book a jr. suite room for my anniversary. Glad I did (I chose PE largely via tripadvisor)!
All the other rave reviews (and the hotel website) accurately depict the eclectic-bohemian-mediterranean decor and vibe so I'll just try to add any important impressions (from most to least trivial):
1. The smell. I think I narrowed it down to sandalwood because I went home and smelled all these cologne testers I got from a department store. Anyway. Awesome. Just the right amount, in my opinion, piped throughout the entire indoors of the property. Maybe they change it depending on the season? Maybe a celebrity requested that smell before his/her arrival? Maybe it's Stefan's cologne and he walks just out-of-sight in front of you everywhere? I don't know but I was down with it.
2. The hotel is situated in a mature, high-end, palm-and-shrub-lined residential neighborhood. Although steps away from food/bars/trader-joes/cbtl on Santa Monica Blvd, it is quiet at night. This makes the rooftop experience serene. I partially chose PE because I want to walk to the party, not sleep in it. I read many reviews of the trendy hotels on nearby Sunset complaining of noise. All. Night. Long. Like I said, Lionel Richie's fun. Until I want to sleep.
3. Okay, it's difficult to generalize customer service for a hotel because each interaction and the people involved are so varied. But, I think I put my finger on it...PE was created for and caters to a jet-set, if not celebrity, clientele. Therefore, some clientele require a certain amount of discretion (hence the no photo/video clause) and some are looking for a place where they won't be bothered. IMO, the entire staff from the front-desk to the rooftop seem to kind of "read you" before warming up (as in our case) to that hospitable, regional tone (I'm thinking it might be a training method because we experienced it universally). And I didn't mind it. They were pleasant but concise at first and then seemed to adjust to my personality (smile, joke, kiss on the mouths?) as the days went on. Anyway, I could have just said that the staff appears to be sensitive to each client's needs and even their personality. Top notch.
Lastly, thank you for the complimentary bottle of Prosecco to celebrate our anniversary!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (92)
London, England, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2012

We had a great week at the Petit Ermitage. Very friendly service, fabulous pool / roof deck, and central location but in a neighborhood so away from the Weho craziness. Our butler/concierge Joshua was extremely helpful in organizing a casual cocktail party for some friends. Service at the pool was noteworthy - attentive without being overbearing, and always easy to find someone to help.

One negative - despite a reasonable rate (including breakfast and wifi), there are a lot of additional charges ($30 for parking per night) and food & drink are pretty expensive for what you get.

Also, the decor is funky and cool but the amenities (soaps, mattress, bedding, etc) are only ok.

Room Tip: Spend a little extra to get a "masters quarters" room on the 4th floor. You'll want t...
San Francisco, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2012

My daughter (grown) and I were going to a show at the Troubadour and stayed here for one night. We did not eat at the restaurant, but we did hang out on the roof a bit. This is a special place. The art collection alone makes it somewhere to go, with each floor having a large number of original prints by famous and less well known artists, that are all just great Ithere is a theme of sorts on each floor). I guess the original Miro aquatint in the lobby should give a hint of things to come, but the works by Dali, Rauchenburg, etc. surprised me. The room was really big, and very comfortable. And it was quiet. A short walk to Santa Monica Blvd. gets one to public transport, great restaurants and bars, and music. And then, a few blocks up to PE and you are in a quiet neighborhood (if West Hollywood has such a thing). I stay at chain hotels often, and it is always fun to discover places like PE exist. A romanitc getaway would be that much better here. I cannot say a bad thing about the place.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Foothill Ranch, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2012

I came up for a midweek getaway.

I stayed in a Demi Suite. It was about the size of a Motel 6 room. Remodeled within an inch of its life, but it was basically the standard size rectangle room. The decor was attractive. The room had a weak gas fireplace that is on an adjustable timer. The AC was suitable for the size room and was plenty cold. The restaurant only had a cramped table and two chairs that we had to move ourselves in order to sit together. On to bed and I realize that I have just laid in THE HARDEST BED I'VE EVER LAID IN (this is coming from someone who has stayed at your $20 a night small-town fleabags as well as many great hotels- quite a variety). The pool is more like a 8' x 12' spa, heated and about 3.5' deep the entire thing. Each chaise was soft and dressed with towels.

We got a bottle of Merlot, I called and asked for something different and that was done rather quickly. The restaurant food was good, but just average when you consider the price and what else is out there at said prices. The "espresso wake up" was french press coffee, delivered fairly quickly...It was pretty good. The petit dejeuner was in line with your standard fare continental breakfasts, except they had some nice cheese that was pretty tasty (it was the same kind offered on the Cheese Board off the menu the night before).

On the morning we left, it was getting a little close to checkout so I asked the waitress by the pool if it was flexible - she said yes, check-in isn't until 4 hours later they would be fine to give us an hour extra time so we didn't have to hurry. I called the front desk from my room to confirm (this was about 30 minutes before check-out) and this time, they said it was totally rigid. So I had to hurry, which is fine, good thing I called to make sure. Except- when I turned on the bathtub/shower and realized that the shower fixtures weren't working! I ended up having to kneel in front of the bathtub. I got it done, packed up, and checked out. I told the front desk the shower wasn't working and they were kind of "whatever" about it ("oh ok, we'll send someone up"). Other than the butler/liason, who was very nice and responsive, the rest of the staff was just average.

Bottom line- It was average, had its ups and downs. It certainly didn't feel like a suite. For $400+ on weeknights, I was expecting more. There are better options out there.

Antwerp, Belgium
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2012

This hotel is targeted towards an audience that can appreciate privacy. Up to the point where the pool area closes for kids at noon to make room for a 'European style' and the rooms focus on 'romance'. Haven't seen too many topless women at the pool, but it's clear this place offers everything you need for a (secret) romantic getaway. Did I mention the rooms are very dark and that a 'romance kit' is offered on the minibar?
So if this is the mood you're in, fine. But with kids, you may want to look elsewhere.
BTW: if they offer rooms 109 or 110, decline right away. These rooms are around the corner form reception and across a kitchen that operates all hours. You won't get any sleep.
We stayed in 110 for 1 night and moved to 105 the next. All the difference in the world. The front desk staff were very helpful to solve our room problem, but should never have given us the room in the first place.

Room Tip: if they offer rooms 109 or 110, decline right away. These rooms are around the corner form receptio...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2012

Thank you for an absolutely fabulous stay in West Hollywood - everything about this hotel exceeded my expectations. The room is beautiful, the restaurant is beautiful, the pool area is beautiful, and the staff are beautiful too!

We only stayed for four days and I spent at least two solely in the rooftop club. Next time (I hope there is a next time!) I'll spend more time there. The sunlougers/sofa are so comfy and it's so relaxing surrounded by flowers and hummingbirds whilst sipping on an amazing cocktail.

It's also in a fabulous location - me and my sister went with our parents and went out in the evenins and it was a quick stroll to some great bars and restaurants.

Finally- if you go - you must have some of their flavoured water. It's the best drink I have EVER tried! I reckon I mention it every day slash every time I have a glass of water. I was at a wedding last week and drunkenly talked about it for 10 mins to a friend. Embarrassing but deserved!

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
Zurich, Switzerland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2012

From the minute we arrived there to our check-out, the staying at Le Petit was the absolute best I've ever had the chance to experience. The decor and art is amazing, the staff is very helpful, friendly and they care of everything for you. The rooftop pool is amazing, WeHo is just around the corner and the atmosphere in the hotel is unique. It's true, if you're a gypsy or a poet, come to the Petit Hermitage in LA.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Petit Ermitage? Share your experiences!