“A Slice of Magic in West Hollywood” 5 of 5 stars

Petit Ermitage
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   8822 Cynthia St, West Hollywood, CA 90069   |
Ranked #7 of 17 Hotels in West Hollywood
New York
“A Slice of Magic in West Hollywood”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2012

This hotel is special. It's not for everyone, but if you want an upscale property in a gorgeous setting this is the place for you. The most impressive aspect of the hotel is the absolutely stunning rooftop with its lush garden restaurant, pool, and lounge area. I travel frequently for business and I have to say that the way this rooftop is designed is among the most beautiful settings of any hotel I have ever stayed at. Dining alfresco in the garden with the Hollywood Hills in the background feels like being in Provence. Just magical. It's so breathtakingly beautiful you won't ever want to ever leave. The pool is warm and the lounge has comfortable cabanas with a modern fireplace. I can't say enough. You have to see this for yourself.
The rest of hotel is great as well. The rooms are appointed nicely with all the luxury items you would want as well as a fully stocked minibar, fluffy robes, a sunken in living area, a balcony, and a very comfortable bed. The service is very good; the reservation team went over backwards to get me an early check in and the type of room I wanted the day of check in. The location is perfect, especially for a gay or lesbian traveler that wants to be near all the best bars, restaurants, and clubs.
I would say the only two negatives is I wouldn't recommend this hotel for kids as it has a more sophisticated, hip, L.A. feel and I would think kids would be pretty bored here. It's also very expensive. The rooms are pretty reasonable for what you get, but once you get here expect to pay Ritz Carlton prices for dinner at the restaurant, room service, and cocktails by the pool.

I have stayed here twice now and I can't imagine staying anywhere else when I am in L.A.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
Ann K, General Manager at Petit Ermitage, responded to this review, May 14, 2012
Dear Chelseaguy,

We are so happy you enjoyed Petit Ermitage, the close location to Sunset Blvd. and Santa Monica Blvd. and everything else we have to offer. The private rooftop club including the garden for dining, the cabana beds and our firedeck truly do make one feel like they are somewhere in the Provence, don't they? My favourite time is late at night on the firedeck, as it is as you said, truly magical. I am glad our reservations and front desk team took such great care of you and arranged the requested early check-in and suite for you so you got to fully take advantage of our fluffy robes, comfortable bed and fully stocked minibar. As for our dining and room service pricing, we will make sure to address and reevaluate them to be competitive with our neighbors and other hotel properties. Dear Chelseaguy, thank you again for your lovely review. We are looking forward to welcome you back to Petit Ermitage the next time you are in West Hollywood and if there is anything we can do for you ahead of time, please do not hesitate to contact me or any of my staff. See you soon!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (91)
Cornwall, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2012

I have found that there are many great hotels in West Hollywood, both large and small. That being said, Petit Ermitage is my new favorite! Anyone who is looking for the same old marble/white on white decor may find this hotel a bit quirky- but that is what gives it its charm. The decor has a bit of a Spanish vibe, mixed with some wonderful original artwork. The rooms are charming, with gas fireplaces, mini kitchens with Keurig coffee machines ( I especially liked the steamer in place of your normal iron :-)
The rooftop pool/dining/bar area is wonderful with several different intimate seating areas so you never felt crowded and the lower level outdoor dining area is once again, yep, you know it, charming! With wildflowers and fountains, it felt like a cafe in Provence ( France, Spain- definitely a European feel) In the breakfast, the pressed coffee was the perfect start to the day...
However, all of this takes a back seat to the service- warm, welcoming, knowledgeable, always there without being smothered...Did I mention charming?
I will be back soon.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
Dear Robinsonsummerfield,

thank you so much for taking the time to review our property and for all the lovely feedback on our hotel. I am glad you enjoyed our quirky-charming European vibe and truly seemed to have taken full advantage of every part and detail that our Private Rooftop club has to offer, from the private cabana beds by the heated salt water pool, the firedeck to the Garden with its intimate seating areas for a nice romantic dinner. Thank you also for noting and appreciating all our in suite amenities such as the fireplace, steamers, kitchenettes and coffee machines, we do try and provide guests with everything that they might possibly need during their vacation and stay. And last but definitely not least, thank you for complimenting our staff, we all take great pride in providing excellent...and charming customer service that is just as you noted, warm, welcoming and knowledgeable without being smothering. Again, thank you so much for leaving such a detailed description and feedback on Petit Ermitage. We are looking forward to welcome you back next time you are in West Hollywood and if there is anything my staff and I can do ahead of time, please do not hesitate to contact me directly as well.
Tucson, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2012

A little bit of heaven on earth. The saltwater pool was divine. The staff friendly, helpful and attentive. Drinks & food - perfection. Joshua, our Liaison to Happiness was wonderful. A bottle of Prosecco was waiting for us when we arrived and he was able to reserve the perfect spot for us to lounge about on the last day.

Finally - the smell of Jasmine at night was delightfully intoxicating. Jasmine grows languorously around the wooden fencing - which attracts the most beautiful butterflies and humming birds.

Thank you Petit Ermitage for the most delightful weekend.

Dear Marlo,

thank you so much for taking the time to review our property. I am so delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and I think from here on out I'm going to use your review to describe our hotel. I'm happy to hear that our Liaison to Happiness, Josh, and the rest of the staff took such great care of you and that you got to truly experience our private roof top club by enjoying the food, the drinks, the sun, butterflies, and hummingbirds around the pool and also the romantic transformation of the space upstairs at night. Thank you again for such praise and we will make sure your own private bit of heaven on earth will be waiting for you upon your return to Los Angeles.
Pretoria, South Africa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2012

A very special little hotel in the heart of a stunning area of West Hollywood. The comfort of the bed will be long remembered! The hotel is charming with beautiful artwork, attention to detail and helpful staff. The upstairs terrace is amazing and serves a good selection of food. It is special spot for sun downers, late breakfasts or romantic dinners. Highly recommended!

Dear Debbie,

thank you for taking the time to review our property and speaking so highly of our hotel. We are very happy to hear you enjoyed your stay with us, especially our custommade mattresses, the Private Rooftop Club and staff. More so, it seems like you truly took a mini-vacation from the daily hustle and found some time to relax and appreciate all the artwork and the little details of Petit Ermitage. I still wander around the hallways some times and see a new piece of art that I missed on the previous walks through the property, it's like my own little art gallery by now and it makes me smile to hear other people, like you enjoy it as much as I do.

Dear Debbie, we hope to be able to welcome you back to Petit Ermitage in the future and will make sure to always have a table for you for late breakfast or a romantic dinner in our Garden.

Warmest regards,

Ann Kleinhenz
Seattle, Washington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2012

Thoroughly enjoyed staying here. The rooftop is very comfortable at all hours of the day and night, and the views are great. Staff was very courteous and helpful...everyone, especially Bianca. Location is just right for WeHo, a half block to Santa Monica Blvd and all the gaiety. The breakfast I had one morning was less than stellar, and the check in was delayed significantly, but all in all a great experience.

Room Tip: Rooms to the west have a great view of the sunsets. Fourth floor puts you at the same level as the...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
Ann K, General Manager at Petit Ermitage, responded to this review, April 19, 2012
Dear Pigeonherder,

thank you kindly for such a nice review of our property. We're glad you enjoyed your stay with us, our staff, the beautiful view and ambiance of our Private Rooftop Club and the rest of what West Hollywood has to offer. I'd also personally like to thank you for notifying us of the delay during check-in and your breakfast experience. We take great pride in our service levels and feedback like yours is oh so very valuable in helping us raise not only the services, but the overall experience a guest/you will have at our hotel. Rest assured we will address both of your experiences and make sure it will be flawless the next time around. Thank you again and we hope to be able to welcome you back to our family in the future.
Ann
Washington, DC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2012

I've stayed at the Petit Ermitage about 4 times now and it's great every time. I do have one complaint, which is that they have discontinued their lemon ricotta pancakes, which i had started to dream about before every trip. I am so disappointed and hope they reconsider. Aside from that one problem, this is one of my fave places to stay in LA. The rooms are very spacious (w/ a pullout couch in the sitting area if you need to share a room) and the beds are super comfy. the rooftop is the star of the hotel tho. a french garden with private areas and flowers planted to attract butterflies on one side, a small saltwater pool on the other and a fire deck for drinks in the evening. I've stayed here for work and with my husband and both were great. Because the rooftop is a private club, there is good LA people watching up there. Rumor has it Johnny Depp has been seen there. They also occasionally have a sign at the front desk asking people not to take pics of celebs visiting the hotel. It's just a fun place with a casual, french country vibe. The staff is also really friendly and super helpful.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
Dear Csfbrooks,

before I even start with a proper response to your gracious and lovely review let me tell you that I miss those lemon ricotta pancakes as much as you do and shall let our executive chef know how much you've enjoyed his food and maybe we will find a way to put it back on the menu with the next recreation. I hope however that you were able to try some of our newly created menu, as it is just, if not even tastier than the previous one. Now to the fun part, I am glad you enjoyed our spacious suites and custom made mattresses, and you seem to have fully experienced every beautiful and detailed section of our Private Rooftop Club, from the butterflies and hummingbirds in the french Garden, to lounging on our cabana beds by the saltwater pool and cozying up on the firedeck in the evenings. We take great pride in maintaining the privacy of our Private Rooftop Club so we cannot confirm or deny any Johnny Depp sightings but are very happy that you liked the casual atmosphere and our friendly staff. ;) Thank you for taking the time to write such a lovely note about our property and staff, it is truly appreciated and we're looking forward to welcome you back into our family the next time you're in West Hollywood. And now I will go day-dream about those lemon ricotta pancakes and think of a way to bribe our executive chef to put them back on the menu.
Ann
London
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2012

This was a well appointed,well located hotel but we didn't feel comfortable. Great pool on roof but we were only people over 40 there. Service seemed condescending
Clear mismatch between us and boutique West Hollywood Hotel.

Dear Mr. Robert L.,

first of all, thank you for taking the time to leave us feedback, as this is truly the most valuable gift we can receive from one of our guests. I am deeply sorry you did not feel comfortable at our hotel. We usually have a great mix of people of all age groups as guests and even our private membership club has a well diversed age range. As far as service goes, our staff takes great pride in making every guest a part of our Petit family and are always striving for the best possible service experience, so your encounter is definitely not the standard of our hotel and I will personally address this with all of our staff. Dear Mr. Robert L, we hope we will get the chance to welcome you back again and show you the true Petit Ermitage experience and make you part of our family. Please contact me directly, should you ever come back to the Los Angeles area and I will personally make sure you are well taken care of.

Been to Petit Ermitage? Share your experiences!