“Affordable buuut…..” 3 of 5 stars
Review of San Vicente Bungalows

You added San Vicente Bungalows to your Saves list
San Vicente Bungalows
2.0 of 5 Small Hotel   |   845 N. San Vicente Blvd., West Hollywood, CA 90069 (Formerly San Vicente Inn) (West Hollywood)   |
Colorado Springs, Colorado
“Affordable buuut…..”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2014

This place is a good option to crash after a night of heavy drinking as long as you don't mind running into other hotel guests performing lewd acts on themselves. Having backpacked all over Europe, the San Vicente reminds me of a hostel with their rooms that have a "Shared Bath". I know this place is under new management and are going for a more "resort" feel, but they really have to get all this "cruisy" atmosphere under control. My last stay, the shower in my room didn't work and had to use the "shared" bath. I was never offered any sort of compensation for that inconvenience. That night I got a creepy note under my door. I guess I was being hit on by some hotel guest staying in another room. Later, as I was approaching the door to my room, I saw another hotel guest at the end of the hall. He was sitting on a chair right in the middle of his doorway….as soon as my eyes adjusted to the extremely dim hallway, I noticed he wasn't wearing any clothes aaand….let's just say he wasn't keeping his hands to himself. My friend in the room joked with me and said it was probably my "secret admirer" who had slipped the note under the door. I understand this place has a "clothing-optional" pool, but common now…. I didn't report it because I'm whatever about it, but I can see someone else not taking it too easily. Also, some rooms seem to be more updated than others. One major improvement they need are the bathrooms. They are simply dated and deteriorating. The front desk is always nice. I really don't like how they charge $10 for a "resort fee." They say its for the steam room and wifi but I've never used either one. Another hidden charge is the $15 for overnight parking which used to be free. Compared to prices at other parking locations, I guess $15 is a steal. Overall, I would stay here again. Its the CLOSEST thing to all the main WeHo bars. Ramada which is the next closest, is waaay down on the other end of the strip and when I am tired, drunk and sleepy, I like to know that my hotel is just a few steps from all the bars.

Room Tip: Their cheapest rooms don't have a bathroom. You have to share with other guests. Reminds me of...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
San Francisco, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2014 via mobile

I have been staying here the last couple of years and in the past it was pretty sketchy, but a new owner has it now and vastly improved. Where else in Weho can you have this atmosphere. It is still Gay and mostly men, if gay men don't support the new owner it will become more mixed. Yes the rooms still need a bit of sprucing up but the price is right and it will happen. The pool is clothing optional and hope it stays that way

Stayed January 2014, traveled solo
Lake Forest, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2014

Its been a while since our last trip here, quite frankly we were a little nervous to stay here after some of the inflated reviews. Our trip in Dec was unplanned but needed a place to stay at the last minute, we called on a whim to see if they had rooms and were simply giddy to hear there were a couple rooms left... and what were the odds of us getting our fav room!!?? We did notice some renovations and changes going on and can't wait to see what the finished product will look like. Like any place there's bound to be issues some minor some not so much but we've never stayed at a perfect hotel not even the 5 diamond resorts are perfect but we like the intimacy this location has to offer. We checked in late afternoon so it was quite busy at that time, we were amazed at Martin the front desk mgr who seemed to handle all the nonsense and not even break into a sweat over it, he was the one who gave us our room and then remembered who we were over the phone, I told my partner he's been in the biz for a while so he most likely knows how to handle the crazy folks that stay there. :) All in all was a great stay would have loved to have stayed longer and enjoyed the warm weather but we shall be back soon.

We truly love this place! Keep it up guys and don't let some of the bad reviews deter your spirits, sometimes you can roll out the red carpet, but some people will never be satisfied!

Happy Holidays!

Room Tip: Try to book a Bungalow, if price is NOT an issue then consider a Studio Suite, great room lots of sp...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
San Diego, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2013

Good points: the inn is in a fantastic location, and the greenery and outdoor furniture are nice, and the staff is friendly. But the new ownership has a lot more work to do to make this a classy place to stay.

Here are a few of the problems:

1. The rooms are barely adequate. Mine smelled musty and mildewy. There was a small hole in the wall, almost nothing in the way of decor and no alarm clock or telephone. The bed was comfy, but be careful if you sit on the edge of the mattress because you may fall off.

2. The bathroom in my room was sad and poorly maintained. The shower was a challenge to operate, the towels were thin and skimpy (although you can ask for extras at the desk), and there was more of that musty smell, possibly because of poor ventilation.

There was no place to store bathroom stuff because the sink was tiny.

3. The pool is uniquely designed and warm-ish at night, although it could use some pool toys to float on. (There's none that I could see.) It closes at midnight for some reason, although they didn't kick people out at that time.

I read somewhere that the pool is natural, possibly full of salt water. It didn't seem like it, but there wasn't a smell of chlorine either, making me wonder how they clean it.

4. Jacuzzi: I heard there used to be one, and maybe there still is. If so, it's not working.

5. The steam room is a disaster: It smells heavily of mildew, and made me think I'd go home with some lovely fungal condition.

6. It was a bit of a bathhouse on one weekend night, with various escapades going on in various rooms. And the smell of pot was prevalent. If you're not bothered by these things, you shouldn't have a problem. Nobody was out of line.

7. The place is indeed clothing-optional. But like most such places, you're not likely to see much nudity outside of sun-bathers during the day. It's more of a nighttime thing.

8. Women: Yes, they're around. That's very unusual for a clothing-optional gay place.

Room Tip: Supposedly there are remodeled rooms. Make sure to ask for one.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
Tucson, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2013

We had enjoyed staying here a couple of times about 10 years ago, so we were a little disappointed to read some of the reviews before we went, but we took the chance and were very glad we did. The location, of course, is ideal, and the setting of bungalows around the pool is a retreat from the city, as well as a good way to meet other guests. The staff were very knowledgeable about the area and eager to help. One of us uses a wheelchair and they were exceptionally accommodating to make sure things went smoothly for us in terms of accessibility. We will certainly stay here again--and again.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Fredericton, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2013

Stayed at the resort and was very disappointed, i took pictures to show the state of the place.. They gave me a room with view of the pool.. I dont mind if the room is not a 5 stars but I expect a room to be clean... Not the case.

I send pictures to the managment and express my disappointement and 3 months later, I have heard back from them, so that is a sign that they dont care.

My recommandation is to stay away, it is unfortunate as the location is great.

Room Tip: bad experience!
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
Matina L, General Manager at San Vicente Bungalows, responded to this review, November 14, 2013
Dear YvonLo
Thank you for your review and appreciate your comments. Since your last stay in May 2013, the property was acquired by new ownership. I cannot comment on previous management however we have spent time and money to ensure the rooms and property are cleaned and maintained. We do hope you will consider returning to see the changes we have made. Please feel free to reach out to the manager Jacinto at any time.
Regards,
Nundah
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2013

Let me firstly say I love the way this place is laid out, the rooms are huge which in West Hollywood is rare thing and location is second to none. The staff were fine. However that's where anything really positive stops.

The furniture in the room is old worn out and cheap, considering the price you pay to stay here a quick trip to Ikea to replace everything in the room would be an easy option. The beds weren't all that comfortable.

The place was only sort of clean.

The bathrooms had rust in them as the sink was on a cheap metal frame. The towels were old and small.

It's not gay exclusive which is a shame as that would make it so much better, well if they sorted out the rooms and cleaned the place up a bit.

Parking is tight there with up to 3 cars parked nose to tail in their carpark, they do have another building across the road with much easier parking, the sort where you don't have to ask the staff to move other peoples cars so you can get yours out.

For how much you pay to stay here and find somewhere else the Ramada down the road is a much better option.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo

Been to San Vicente Bungalows? Share your experiences!