“Not bad, but not great” 3 of 5 stars
Review of The Standard, Hollywood

You added The Standard, Hollywood to your Saves list
The Standard, Hollywood
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   8300 Sunset Boulevard, At Sweetzer, West Hollywood, CA 90069 (West Hollywood)   |
Hotel deals
Special Price
10% off room rate
Ranked #14 of 17 Hotels in West Hollywood
Santiago, Chile
“Not bad, but not great”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2013 via mobile

This hotel is Hollywood (or what I expect from Hollywood). Trying too hard and a little fake.

The service at the desk and restaurant was great. The girl in the bar a little moody.

The rooms smell of cleaning liquid and the carpets feel old under your feet.. Keep you socks on.

You can hear every footstep in the room above, and the toilet flushing in the room next door.

The room itself is not bad. It just is let down by the smell and the carpet.

The corridors are dark and depressing. They need a serious repaint.

Back to the bar... Serving wine in plastic glasses.. Really?

Its not a horrible hotel, but next time I'll Spend the extra cash and stay at the andez over the road.

• Stayed May 2013
StandardManager, Guest Relations Manager at The Standard, Hollywood, responded to this review, May 7, 2013
Bambi851,

I am glad you gave us a try. We realize that some of our rooms face acoustical challenges but we are continually working to improve our facilities to offer better products and services to our guests; therefore your input is valued. Our hallway is demurely lit to create a sense of arrival and comfort, we use plastic ware by the pool for safety reasons; common practice in the industry when the outlet is near a swimming pool. Summer is right around the corner, come join in on our pool festivities on your next trip to West Hollywood.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (110)
  • Turkish first
West Palm Beach, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2013

The Standard Hollywood . . . Its 84 degrees, and there off the reception desk is the pool . . . with the people you would expect to see lying around . . . too many speedos . . .

Had a nice quiet room, away from the noise of Sunset and the pool . . . strange thing is there is no bar to just hang out at, at the pool, they need to fix that.

Was there on a Wednesday, and they have live acoustic acts playing, so it was nice . . . had drinks with a customer, then took the 5 minute stroll to Bar Marmont . . . it is what it is . . . plastic folks, players, phonies . . . oh, wait, this is Hollywood!

My room 312, was HUGE! Bathroom/shower not so much!

Great front desk staff! If you can get a rate, stay here, but avoid the Sunset view rooms . . . NOISY!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2013

I had to stay in the hotel for a business trip and had to print and fedex a number of forms for a visa purpose that had a time limit and were very important. The concierge and front office staff was extremely helpful and kind. I know that I can stay at this hotel and count on the support of the staff for whatever I may need.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
StandardManager, Public Relations Manager at The Standard, Hollywood, responded to this review, April 29, 2013
Goncalo,

We are glad you enjoyed your stay and our service. It was a pleasure sharing The Standard, Hollywood with you. Our team looks forward to your next visit.
London, England, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2013

Building:
My Room: it was ok, comfortable bed, spacious, no view as on ground floor
Restaurant/Bar: Food was ok, some nice mixed cocktails depending on who was on the bar
Outdoor Pool Area: Fun, plenty of space for shade or sun, dining available there too

Noise:
Annoying, especially if trying to catch up on sleep due to jet lag, I used my ear plugs and was relatively ok, if I had not been nana napping I am sure the noise would have been less of a deal. Suggest if you want a quieter room then ask.

Staff:
Without exaggeration, possibly the nicest staff of any hotel I have stayed at. Not sure if I am just very likeable :) but all the staff were so nice. Great when you are new to a city and want some advice about venues etc or just simply a chat as you drink beer for lunch...the staff are the reason as to why I would return...they were incredible...recommendations for restaurants, bars and arranging a little site seeing were all done without fuss. To be honest, it felt like I was visiting friends, when I left I felt obliged to say goodbye to staff throughout the hotel (I was only there for 5 days) because they were so friendly and more importantly competent when required.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Angaston, South Australia, Australia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

We stayed here because we have a relative that is in "the movie business" and he recommended this hotel. He told us it was "a cool little boutique hotel", that Hollywood types hung out at.
I still have nightmares about this place. I Would even describe it as traumatic. The dingy corridors with the purple UV lighting, the girl in the glass case, is VILE, VILE, as a woman I am ashamed that you want to call being leered at an "art piece". The staff we encountered on the front desk were rude, and impersonal.
The room was large, we just had a bed and a rectangle for a couch, no desk or anywhere to put anything on. There was a washed out pale grey blanket, with a white cross on it. Which smacked of hospital/lunatic asylum. The bed was really low to the ground, my partner was struggling to get in and out of it. The room was also dark and it felt depressing and gloomy. I felt like crying quite a bit and found that I was not my normal stable temperament and I put that all down to the grim environment of the room.
I am not saying I am important, but I think as a traveller, you shouldn't be made to feel like you walked in to somebody else's freak show. The pounding music was relentless, by day two my partner and I started getting cranky at each other because we were so tired, from the noisy road, the unofficial night club that was in the room next door.

The pool area is ok, probably would be great if you wanted to pose in your bikini. I think that this Hotel is utter insanity.
I truly feel the positive comments are made by young wanna be's, or those that consider themselves to be quite liberal, artsy, on the edge, trendsetters. I know that a Hotel should be welcoming to every guest that walks in the foyer, it should not polarise guests at the front desk, (woman in glass case) the guest should be able to sleep uninterrupted, have helpful staff that cater to your every whim, and most importantly does not present an image that does not exist. The club is called Smoke and Mirrors, maybe the The Standard needs to adopt the club name. That would be far more an appropriate and honest representation.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
KJWMTG,

I am sorry you did not enjoy your stay it us. All feedback from our guest is invaluable to us therefore, I would like to address you comment point by point. First, our corridor is not dingy by any mean. The hotel has a full staff of painters and maintenance engineers to maintain the look of our property both in guest rooms and public spaces. Our guest room corridors are painted lavender and the carpet is in color blocks of navy and grey. Our hallways are demurely lit to create a warm and cozy feel throughout the guest floors. Secondly, our bed is made with a wool blanket designed by Geoff McFetridge; blue on black, with a white duvet presented at the foot of the bed atop the wool blanket. Sure, some of the rooms face acoustical challenges as with any other hotel on Sunset Strip but that is to be expected from any hotel in the same area. As far as the model in the glass vitrine behind the reception desk, she has become an expected part of our hotel. Actually, the models are selected from a large pool of candidates. Lastly but most importantly, our staff is known for being friendly, accommodating and inclusive; hence our high rate of return guests whose homes traverses the globe.
Cleveland, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

A good place to experience the West Side LA vibe. Almost across the street from Chateau Marmont, but at less than half the cost. Obliging service by attractive young people. Rooms are large, comfortable, and well decorated in a contemporary chic style. Good bathroom. Rooms on the back side have balconies, overlook the pool area, and have a view toward LA in the south -- a good value. Rather ordinary food at the restaurant. Like many refurbished older properties, The Standard has a few rough edges, but I had a pleasant experience and would return.

Room Tip: Rooms in the back overlook the pool and are quieter than those on Sunset.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
StandardManager, Public Relations Manager at The Standard, Hollywood, responded to this review, April 15, 2013
Thanks brasilerio2010!
Glad you enjoyed your stay with us. Come see us again soon in the summer. The pool festivities and our summer cocktail program should keep everyone well hydrated and in a festive mood.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2013 via mobile

We stayed for 2 nights on a weekend and really enjoyed the hotel. Great vintage rooms with comfy bed, very trendy looking reception area. We loved the pool and enjoyed the music. At night we went to the club downstairs and had a great time! We'd definitely come back.

• Stayed June 2012
StandardManager, Guest Relations Manager at The Standard, Hollywood, responded to this review, April 8, 2013
I am glad you enjoyed your stay with us! We hope to see you again soon. Summer is right around the corner and we our pool deck is THE place to be…

Been to The Standard, Hollywood? Share your experiences!