“An ok hotel in a good location” 3 of 5 stars
Review of The Standard, Hollywood

You added The Standard, Hollywood to your Saves list
The Standard, Hollywood
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   8300 Sunset Boulevard, At Sweetzer, West Hollywood, CA 90069 (West Hollywood)   |
Hotel deals
Special Price
10% off room rate
Ranked #14 of 17 Hotels in West Hollywood
London, United Kingdom
“An ok hotel in a good location”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2013

The Standard is ok but nothing special and some things will annoy you. Decent-sized rooms, but no coffee/tea making facilities so prepare to pay $8 for room service tea (Starbucks across the road is handy). No safe in the room either, but you get a minibar. Very noisy in the evenings from the strip. No fitness/spa. Ok restaurant on site serving diner-style food. Ridiculously overpriced valet parking: $33 per night! Staff are all very helpful though and there usually is something going on in the lounge. All in all, I'll probably stay somewhere else next time I'm in town.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
StandardManager, Front Office Manager at The Standard, Hollywood, responded to this review, February 11, 2013
Dear Monika P,

Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback. I am sorry you find the traffic noise on Sunset Blvd. unbearable. We offer rooms on the south side of the building which has a great view of Downtown Los Angeles and are located away from noise disturbance of Sunset Blvd. As you might be aware, parking space in West Hollywood, as well as any major cities, is very limited and we are glad to be able to offer parking on-site to our guests. This eliminates the wait time when your car is retrieved from the lot. In efforts of offer fair pricing on our parking, we survey parking rates of the hotels in our neighborhood on a regular basis. We most appreciate your compliment on the service of our staff. We work very hard to provide our guest with great and personalized service.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (110)
  • Turkish first
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2013

I stayed at The Standard on a business trip. The hotel location was good and fair priced for West Hollywood. The place has a lively vibe and great to sit outside by the pool for a drink on a hot L.A. day. The mini bar is very well stocked. The rooms were pretty good but a little worn and the staff were a bit too pretentious but overall they were helpful. The restaurant does a great breakfast with very friendly staff.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Paris, France
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2013

Am I that old fashioned to think that I am staying in a hotel to sleep? The Standard Hollywood has a nice restaurant and is a nice spot to have a drink next to the pool but it is one of the most terrible hotels I ever stayed. The worst is the noise, as there is no phonic insulation, nowhere.
I first stayed on first floor, in a room facing Sunset Blvd. When I mentioned the noise to the desk after check-in in the late afternoon, I've been told "it is rush hour". The problem is that the "rush hour" is 24hrs, and facing such a large boulevard you could expect some double glazing... but not at the Standard! Adding the noise of the music coming from the bar made the experience more than terrible and I asked for another room after have declined the ear plugs which were offered to me (so they no that their hotel is terribly noisy!!).
That second room on second floor was quieter indeed, with much less traffic noise. But there was not even a desk in it, so it made it very "easy" to work and do my emails. And then... the noise again. Probably the walls in the all hotel are in cardboard, as I was able to hear the conversations of my neighbors. The worst has been the last night, with the sound of a very loud TV coming from the room above, like if it was in mine. At 2am, it took more than 30 min to the staff to turn that off.
So if you wanna sleep... never go to the Standard.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
StandardManager, Front Office Manager at The Standard, Hollywood, responded to this review, February 4, 2013
Dear Monolakke,

I am sorry that you did not enjoy your experience with us. We aim to exceed our guests’ expectation and regret we did not meet yours. We realize that some of our rooms post acoustical challenges but we are continually working to resolve the issue. Rooms facing south boast the great view of Los Angeles skyline and are located away from noise sources. Most of our rooms come with free-flowing work space to accommodate our business travelers. Should your travel brings you back to West Hollywood, please contact us directly and we would be able to accommodate your specific needs. Thank you for taking the time to give us your valuable feedback.
Toronto, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2013

We stayed at the Standard West Hollywood with our 7 year old daughter in November. The hotel is in a convenient location and the hotel has a pretty cool vibe. Because we were with a child we were stuck in a room on the first floor at the end of the hallway facing the street. Apparently kids are frowned upon.

The hotel has a good pool, bar and great 24 hour restaurant. I would recommend it to single people who are looking for a good time. Definitely not for a family.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Dear Edward F.

Thank you for your input regarding your experience with us. I am sorry that we did not live up to your expectation. The locale of the hotel, Sunset Strip, lends itself naturally to leisure crowd which leads many to think we aren’t family friendly; however, our hotel welcomes and accommodates guests of all ages. The location of the room you described indicates that you were in one of our DOUBLES with 2 full-size beds. This room category boasts the view of the city (Downtown LA) or the William Hart Park: none of this room is on Sunset Blvd. side of the building. We are glad that you found our Restaurant and Pool Deck satisfactory. We have created a fun and interesting ambient for our guests to enjoy, hence the fun pool floats and ping pong table & tipis on the grassy knolls. Our menu reflects the same atmosphere by offer simple, healthy and interesting dishes. Please do not hesitate to contact us directly when planning your next visit. The Standard team would be happy to assist and ensure your next stay is comfortable.
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2013

I am staying at the Standard for the first (and last) time and although I reside in Europe (supposedly hedonistic and decadent Europe) I could not believe what I saw behind the reception desk. A woman in the glass cage? In the hotel lobby? OK, female in her twenties in a terrarium. Her expressionless face made me feel guilty the moment I have stepped in. But how could I have known?! This place was recommended to me by some film people mainly because of its price. To be absolutely clear, I do not recommend it at all. The corridors are repulsive, mental hospital chic I would call it. The rooms even worse... but actually it is quite funny. When was the last time you have seen walls painted half-hight with an oil-based paint so they do not get dirty? Your school dental hygienist would love it but this is your bedroom now...Somebody told me this was an old people's home before. To me, the overall atmosphere, apart from the forced 'funkiness' of the lobby, is very similar to the orphan asylum. The bad-bad one. Creepy place but to be fair, I have to mention nice people working in the restaurant. So pop in for a drink, do not stay overnight.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
StandardManager, Front Office Manager at The Standard, Hollywood, responded to this review, January 29, 2013
JustinaAnna

Thank you for taking the time to give us feedback. We are continually looking for ways to improve our products and your honest opinion is valuable to us; we use all guest comments as a road map to our success. The "girl in the box" behind the front desk has become an expected feature by our guests and is an extension of our rotating art installations we have in our lobby. We are truly sorry that you find our design aesthetic unsuitable to your preferences. Most our guests enjoy the artsy details in our guest rooms such as our custom made silver bean bag chairs and Andy Warhol Poppy-print drapes. Our lobby is dotted with rotating art installation, bellybutton room dividers by a well known ceramicist Eva Zeisel. Most importantly, we are glad that you enjoy our service; our primary product.
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

I hosted my birthday in the ultra hip Cactus Lounge. The lounge was great, I had a dedicated server and bartender plus the room open out to a great view of the pool. I stayed the night as well adn the their rooms are also ultra hip and modern.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Seattle, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

The Standard is a three-story hotel on Sunset Blvd. in West Hollywood just west of Laurel Canyon and the Chateau Marmont. The look is midcentury-modern-converted-motel with a hip, minimalist design vibe. Most rooms have great views of LA. Even the north side rooms have somewhat cool views of Sunset with its billboards, the vegetarian restaurant featured in Annie Hall, and Carney's, the hot dog place that looks like a train car. The design and the location give the Standard a sense of place, a sense of the LA tradition in design from the 60s to today, the music venues on the Strip, the nearby modern art galleries -- it feels all of a piece.

The Standard is fun and lively, with lots of people dining outside by the pool on warm evenings. A lot of the guests seem to be youngish Europeans with some involvement in the entertainment industry so the vibe is kind of like a modernist, cheaper Chateau Marmont. There is stuff going on -- there is a ping pong table by the pool which is frequently used, there is a DJ in the lobby most nights, there is a model lounging in the aquarium, and there are live musical performances on Wednesday nights. It kind of feels like a nightclub that grew up to be a hotel. If you're determined to be early-to-bed-early-to-rise this may all be irrelevant and distracting, but it's not boring.

The rooms have well stocked minibars and the dinerish restaurant 24/7 is really quite serviceable (and is in fact open 24/7). They also have prompt, good room service. If needed, they do actually have a meeting room that you can rent if you want to have meetings in the hotel bot not at the pool.

It is reasonably easy to get to Beverly HiIls, Hollywood or the Valley -- so it's perfect for most entertainment business itineraries.

Room Tip: Rooms on the west edge (facing west) are not the best if you wan to sleep late because there is a do...