The Standard is a three-story hotel on Sunset Blvd. in West Hollywood just west of Laurel Canyon and the Chateau Marmont. The look is midcentury-modern-converted-motel with a hip, minimalist design vibe. Most rooms have great views of LA. Even the north side rooms have somewhat cool views of Sunset with its billboards, the vegetarian restaurant featured in Annie Hall, and Carney's, the hot dog place that looks like a train car. The design and the location give the Standard a sense of place, a sense of the LA tradition in design from the 60s to today, the music venues on the Strip, the nearby modern art galleries -- it feels all of a piece.
The Standard is fun and lively, with lots of people dining outside by the pool on warm evenings. A lot of the guests seem to be youngish Europeans with some involvement in the entertainment industry so the vibe is kind of like a modernist, cheaper Chateau Marmont. There is stuff going on -- there is a ping pong table by the pool which is frequently used, there is a DJ in the lobby most nights, there is a model lounging in the aquarium, and there are live musical performances on Wednesday nights. It kind of feels like a nightclub that grew up to be a hotel. If you're determined to be early-to-bed-early-to-rise this may all be irrelevant and distracting, but it's not boring.
The rooms have well stocked minibars and the dinerish restaurant 24/7 is really quite serviceable (and is in fact open 24/7). They also have prompt, good room service. If needed, they do actually have a meeting room that you can rent if you want to have meetings in the hotel bot not at the pool.
It is reasonably easy to get to Beverly HiIls, Hollywood or the Valley -- so it's perfect for most entertainment business itineraries.
- Also Known As:
- The Standard, Hollywood Hotel
- The Standard, Hollywood Hotel West Hollywood
- Standard Hotel
- Standard Hotel Hollywood
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Standard, located in the heart of the Sunset Strip, is a true original catering to a young-spirited clientele who appreciate the hotel's "timeless modern" design and offbeat sensibility. The hotel features a floor to ceiling shag carpeted lobby lounge, a live DJ at the front desk, an outdoor pool with a sundeck covered in cobalt blue Astroturf, an ongoing exhibition devoted to fine art video, and live performance art. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Orbitz, Travelocity, Booking.com, Cheap Tickets, Tablet Hotels and Tingo so you can book your The Standard, Hollywood reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.