“Good position, hip clients, will probably need a future update.” 3 of 5 stars

Save Saved
You added The Standard, Hollywood to your Saves list
Prices are for rooms, adults
The Standard, Hollywood
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   8300 Sunset Boulevard, At Sweetzer, West Hollywood, CA 90069   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #13 of 17 hotels in West Hollywood
Milan, Italy
“Good position, hip clients, will probably need a future update.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2012

The first time I stayed at the Standard in 2002 I was greated by a nude male model playing with dollar bills and a telephone receiver inside a crystal frame, fish-bowl sort of like.
I wasn't terribly impressed. I was there for work and had little time to dwell on the light atmosphere. I was amused by the destination writing in the rooms, which though hospital-scant are very comfortable. The location is right below the Hills, smack on sunset, next to places like Marmont and the infamous Viper Room. Great.
I stayed there a couple of times more.
If you are looking for something diverse in L.A. without having to bump into too many celebrities, I do recommend it. Personnel is top notch.

Room Tip: Hollywood, just a notch below. Much better if you want to live the city.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled on business

560 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (86)
  • Turkish first
Glasgow, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2012

Stayed at the Standard WeHo on 2-night a stopover weekend in LA. On first impressions I was not sure what to expect. The hotel vibe seemed like some type of 70/80s decor meets 21st century with a touch of artdeco, all very confusing to me. Especially since I just came from a week at a traditional resort style hotel in Carlsbad.

After brushing it off as a "arty" style hotel I checked into the room (Sunset Room), which I was to be honest quite disappointed with. It seemed quite unimpressive and normal, I wouldn't say there was anything spectacular visually to this type of room. On the flip side the room as a good size, the bed was mega comfy, there was a interesting beanbag thing and the minibar was well stocked with great food and drink.

On a plus note I loved the vibe of the outdoor pool/bar area at night where you could chill/socialise with cocktails and decent priced food with good music and views over the city. The staff were also appealing to the eyes, which was a nice benefit. I was also surprised by the cost of food and drink, it was very reasonable for a hotel! During my stay I also got to check out one of the Large and Suite Rooms that faced the pool, that was the standard I was expecting! Maybe I picked the budget style room...

Would I stay again, I am not sure. This place has totally confused me, but I am still really interested to see more, and would encourage others to try and want something that is not the standard hotel...

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
Boston
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2012

I happen to love the Standard and have been staying there since the mid-'90's when it was converted from a retirement home and was deeply hip and extremely cheap- not many knew about it. Given that background, I may be biased, but the service over the past 15 years has rarely faltered and it's still well-priced. The rooms are clean, simple and consistent- for me this is a lot of nights over a long period. While some see it as " a hipster hangout", I view it as a "no big deal" attitude regardless of who you are, and in West Hollywood, I very much appreciate this democratic approach to service. While other hotels have cropped up, the Standard still has THE best pool in West Hollywood and a casual but sheik vibe. The food is always good and consistent and I love the 24 hour restaurant. I have held 2 business events at the Standard and cannot say enough good things about the event director and the staff attitude-- my guests loved it. If you're looking for peace and quiet, stay somewhere else. But if you want a great West Hollywood experience without "airs", stay at the Standard. I

Room Tip: Rooms on the south side on 3rd floor are quieter.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Stockholm, Sverige
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012

Staying here at these easygoing hotel is very relaxing experience. Service with booking, checking in is working fine. Especially if you have a busy working schedule. Well, all of the Hotels here have Valet parking and so on ..The location is one of the best with walking distance to many of the places that are a LA must, Bar MArmont, Rainbow Bar & Grill, Whisky a gogo, Viper Room and many other. The rooms are big with nice beds, personally I love the amenities from Malin + Götz...The restaurant is open 24 hours a day! That is good! I've stayed in many hotels during my life and this is one I like to return to when in LA.

Room Tip: For the most relaxing feeling pick a room facing downtown if possible.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Newark, New Jersey
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2012

On a recent business trip, a client put me up at The Standard in West Hollywood. My heart sank when I pulled up and saw the sign was upside down. On purpose. The valet, a stubbly dude in gelled hair and mirrored shades, ambled up with a "Hey, there." Other hotel workers were dressed similarly in unbuttoned shirts and belabored hair. The lobby had shag carpeting. On the ceiling. If a model had been posing in the window behind reception as apparently is usual, I would have had to laugh out loud.

None of this will surprise the connoisseur of cool accommodations. The Standard is well known as a hipster hangout, though of late its luster has apparently dimmed among the in crowd. Me, I could care less. All I want when I travel for work is a clean, quiet room with a good bed and excellent service. The Standard has three of the four. The ironic-retro design is nifty, if you like that sort of thing—that sort of thing being beanbags instead of couches and poolside teepees in place of cabanas. My room was spotless, the bed comfy, the workers were polite and the two meals I had tasty.

But oh, the noise.

My room overlooked the pool and outdoor lounge. The view of Los Angeles is stunning. The thumping music starts early in the evening. It was midweek, so the crowds weren't even at their peak. I finally fell asleep with earplugs on, windows shut tight, air and TV on low for white noise. But at 2 a.m., a woman shouted in my ear. Not really—she was in the next room—but the cardboard walls did not muffle her phone conversation.

I'm definitely not the target market for this hotel chain. On the other hand, if you're a white dude in a porkpie hat who values design and a good scene, then The Standard may rock your world.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
StandardManager, Manager at The Standard, Hollywood, responded to this review, November 15, 2012
Hello Soujounalist,

I'm sorry to hear you had trouble sleeping while you were with us recently. Our pool area can be quite active into the evening with people dining but we make sure to turn off the music by 10pm on school nights. If you do come back, request a room facing the park as they tend to be furthest from the pool activity. I'm glad you enjoyed the food and the service during your stay and I will make sure to pass along your kind words to our staff. Thanks for your feedback and we hope to see you again!
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2012

The logo, written in upside-down hipster code, shows what the place is going to do with your expectations. Treat it like a designer's ironic vision of a motel (okay, maybe bordering on student dorm) and you won't be far off. It's not the Chateau Marmont, but it is sexy-cool and casual fun, and, in our room facing Sunset Boulevard, perfectly quiet. We stay in our share of hotels and motels, and the Standard feels like just the right mix of both. It doesn't take itself too seriously, and neither should you.

• Stayed August 2012
Barcelona
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2012

Had a great recent stay at The Standard Hollywood for a business trip. It's noisy, funky and cool, which suits me but isn't for everyone. Great pool area, and highly recommend the restaurant service, which is not much more expensive than the surrounding touristy restaurants, but is all freshly cooked with great ingredients. The rooms are very spacious, with good views, although maybe a little more furniture in each room wouldn't go amiss!

Unfortunately at the end of a six day stay I was presented with a bill that included a mini bar charge on the first day I arrived which was not actually used. I asked for this to be removed, which the helpful staff did at the time. It has subsequently been recharged to my card (about $110) and I'm now presented with substantial expense to try and reclaim it or just ignore it. My advice - check the bill closely at check out and insist that a senior manager approves the removal permanently for any overcharges.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Prices are for rooms, adults

Been to The Standard, Hollywood? Share your experiences!