“A very pleasant stay” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #5 of 17 Hotels in West Hollywood
Carlingford NSW
“A very pleasant stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2010

We stayed here while renovations were taking place at the hotel. Despite this the staff (front office and valet parking in particular) were very friendly and helpful. This is a great location to stay in with great restaurants and bars close by. About a 5 min walk to The Sunset Trip. For our family of 5 we had 2 rooms including one with a kitchenette. The kitchenette room had very little crockery and cutlery provided. We requested more and this was delivered promptly but seemed to disappear with the maid service everyday.
There was lots of space for all of us. The rooms, on the ground floor, were pretty dark but as we were out everyday exploring LA's attractions this did not bother us.
Overall a great stay for our family.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with family
David_Lang1000, Director of Operations at Chamberlain West Hollywood, responded to this review, July 29, 2010
Dear MargoCarlingfordNSW,

Thank you for choosing the Chamberlain while in West Hollywood! I was pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay with us despite housekeeping removing the crockery and cutlery from the kitchenette in your suite. This has been reviewed with the housekeeping department to ensure that practice does not continue. Again, I am glad that you enjoyed your stay, and we look forward to welcoming you back to the Chamberlain West Hollywood next time you are in the area.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (138)
Sydney
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2010

Location is great (shopping/restaurants/siteseeing), rooftop pool is great (albeit heated a little too warm for mid Summer LA), but there were just too many things wrong, so much so we checked out early and went elsewhere. We booked a kitchenette suite for a full two weeks as we have a 2 year old so need kids food etc: checked in -> no kitchenette. Called downstairs and told 'no record of this on your booking, none available for four days' (notwithstanding my printout of the booking seemed to have the word "kitchenette"....). Then when we were moved two days later, had to confirm twice and them wait over an hour for the bag guys to arrive to help with move. We pre-booked a cot for the 2 year old - no cot. One was then delivered, looked like a WW2 surplus cot. The rooms were "OK"; credit is due for being tastefully done design wise. The rooms were generally pretty dark (both the non-kitchenette one and the kitchenette one was similarly bereft of natural light). They have recently refurbished, but it isn't a high quality refurb - too much style and not enough substance. The photos on the website made is look so stylishly luxurious, unfortunately a result of LA-style airbrushing it would seem... The bistro was disappointing - staff seemed more interested in their haircuts, so was not frequented again.... As said, checked out 2/3 of the way through our stay and moved to a larger LHW hotel. The front desk service was - um - serviceable, but certainly not memorable.
I don't want to sound too harsh, but in school report format "has potential, must do better". Sorry.
I should however make special mention of the valet parking guys - absolutely great. Always friendly and remembered my name and car evertime. Although $30/night valet is a bit steep.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family
Dear LazySeagull,

I was saddened to read about your experiences with us. Please accept your apologies for not providing the level of service you expected and deserved; this is certainly not typical at the Chamberlain. It was also disappointed to know that you did not care for our rooms as they have generally been very well received. We will certainly use your feed back as a tool to improve the service we offer to future guests. Kind regards.
Phoenix
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2010

I just got back from the hotel yesterday and I wanted to spread the word on what me and my wife thought. First off, this is a nice hotel. Not exceptional but in my opinion very few hotels ever are in LA. The employees were all great. The parking guys were awesome and the front desk staff were very inviting. Every review mentions the elevators and I will too. Slow very very slow.The rooms were well appointed and decorated very nicely the bathrooms are very modern looking but a bit small and space is limited, again very common in LA. The atmosphere is hip and young but not uncomfortably so and I would stay here again.

London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2010

This was our first visit to Los Angeles and the chamberlain provided an excellent base for our exploration of west hollywood and beyond.

All of the previous reviewers on this site have p[inpointed the pluses and minuses of a stay here and I simply reiterate the main themes.

The location could not be better and the quiet neighborhood is a real bonus. Coming back to the hotel after a day's sightseeing is is really relaxing experience.

The executive suite is superb - although on the first evening there was no hot water and the staff team were a bit lethargic in letting us know what remedy they had in mind. Ok, I might have been a bit tetchy after a 12 hour flight from London but a cold shower was neither attractive nor expected and it was resolved within the hour.

The swimming pool area is a real bonus but it is tiny and not helped by the fact that it was reserved for a private party on our first night and the gazebo for drinks parties was also reserved throughout Sunday - strictly limiting the amount of space available for guests.

The main point of concern for this hotel are the elevators - or lifts - which are from a bygone age and it is ludicrous to read of elevator rennovation! They need to be upgraded and re programmed so that a trip to the swiming pool infrequently avoids a detour to the car park on the lower ground floor.

But - and let's be positive - the staff team are motivated to assist your stay and there is a quiet determination to deal with any problem.

Of course I would come again - and would hope that the most obvious tweaks to an excellent venue would be in train by then.

Special thanks to Chelsea - a superb reeceptionist.

Dear robmarshall33,

Thank for choosing the Chamberlain West Hollywood! Please accept our sincere apologies for the lack of hot water the evening you arrived. Thankfully, it was an issue that our engineering team was able to resolve quickly.

I certainly appreciate your concerns about the elevators, and please understand that the elevator renovation that is in progress will accomplish exactly what you want it to. The first of the two elevators is completed and the second is currently out of order having the new control panel, etc being installed and perfected. Rest assured that the “quiet determination to deal with any problem” that you spoke of is being vigorously applied to perfecting our elevators.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the Chamberlain and whisking you from floor to floor on our wonderful “new” elevators.
toronto
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2010

Just returned from a four day stay at this hotel and I even begin to tell you how wonderful our stay was ...
Chic, friendly, great location, amazing staff, quiet, spot on guest suites -- five star all the way.
I expected a good stay, but this hotel is great! We travelled with two teens and they also had a wonderful time -- the little restaurant doubles as a bar at night and the food is great -- it has a small patio outside that is very pretty and for a light meal after arriving from our five hour flight, it was a good choice.
We had a rental car and drove around LA, but within walking distance there are a number of shops and restaurants and the location is very central.
The rooftop pool was beautiful and my only regret was that the weather wasn't very warm or we would have relaxed up there on the Saturday. Go. Stay. Enjoy!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
David_Lang1000, Director of Hotel Operations at Chamberlain West Hollywood, responded to this review, July 17, 2010
Everyone at the Chamberlain was thrilled to see that we exceed your expectations of a good stay! We were glad to know that you enjoyed both our Bistro and our neighborhood, which admittedly is one of the best in town. It is unfortunate that you did not get to enjoy the rooftop pool due to LA’s unseasonably cool weather during your visit, but the weather is perfect now. We think you should come back and work on your tan. Hope to see you soon.
Phoenix, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2010

My fiance and I decided to stay there because they had a special promotion for the 4th of July. We were just going to stay for 4 nights, but ended up staying for an extra night because we loved it so much. The rooms were nice and clean. The closet was a bit small, but it wasn't a big deal for us. We slept well. It wasn't noisy at all. Pool area is beautiful. Staff was extremely helpful and friendly. The location is perfect. We were able to walk to the sunset strip to dinner and do some shopping. Overall we had a pleasant and relaxing time at the Chamberlain.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
David_Lang1000, Director of Operations at Chamberlain West Hollywood, responded to this review, July 17, 2010
Your kind words about our hotel and the colleagues who strive to make it “Perfect” are much appreciated. We love to here stories like yours because we recognize that leisure time is one of the most valuable commodities in our busy lives, and we truly are truly grateful when someone chooses to spend more of that time with us.
PS: Congratulations on your engagement!
Phoenix, Arizona
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2010

I booked the Chamberlain in West Hollywood over the 4th of July weekend holiday. The location was perfect for my visit, as I was planning on going out to the clubs on Santa Monica Blvd with friends.
Upon first site, you can't tell this is a hotel. It looks like an apartment building. The lobby is your typical apartment entrance with over decorated walls. They really want you to be impressed. Check-in was fast as it was all prepaid. I asked for a room that has some sort of a view. What I got was a balcony overlooking a wall. Definitely no views of any sort.
The room is large and very nice. It's your typical 400 sq Hollywood apartment that was opened up and converted into a hotel bedroom. The beds, although a little soft for my taste were comfortable. My favorite part of the room was the bathroom. It was large, with modern amenities. We did get a newly refurbished room, with nice decor and modern amenities. A fireplace was an added bonus and so was the nice flat screen TV.
My favorite part of the entire hotel was the Pool. Very tastefully appointed with nice pool furniture. It was at the rooftop of the hotel, and you can see most of LA. Although small, the pool was heated nicely and served it's purpose as a fun, splash in the water type of a pool.
One warning though. The elevator needs getting used to. I don't think it was designed to be a hotel elevator. It was very slow, and you waited a long time to go up or down. It creaked and several uncomfortable noises. I'm sure it's a very safe elevator, but not the most sleek or new.
Location is this hotel's primary attraction. You can't beat it. It's very close to all the gay bars in West Hollywood, yet you don't feel like you are staying on the main drag with all the noise. A short walk to most everything that you will need.
Although I had a great weekend, Something about the hotel just wasn't satisfying. I'm not sure if it's the obvious fact it was an apartment building or just the little things like the elevator that added up to a less than a decent stay.
But because of it's location, I will be staying there again, if the price is right. ( I got a great deal through Hotwire for the 4th of July weekend)
I will post another review after my next stay at the Chamberlain.

Mike

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with friends
David_Lang1000, Director of Hotel Operations at Chamberlain West Hollywood, responded to this review, July 14, 2010
I’d like to begin by thanking you for taking the time to author this thoughtful review of the Chamberlain because I think we’ve all, unfortunately, experienced that feeling of something not being quiet perfect for some unknown reason. And you are correct, the building was originally constructed as apartments, but that is actually what ensures that all of our generously sized suites offer a private balcony, fireplace, and that perfect “in the mix, but not the noise” location that we’re famous for. I’m also glad that you enjoyed the renovated suite, bathroom, and pool deck. Just to let you know the final phase of the renovation is a modernization project on our elevators that is already 50% complete, so in just a few short weeks, we’ll have two elevators that have been completed refurbished! We look forward to your next visit, so you can leave feeling beyond satisfied because everything was done right again.

Been to Chamberlain West Hollywood? Share your experiences!