“Nice stay in cozy neighborhood” 4 of 5 stars

Chamberlain West Hollywood
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1000 Westmount Drive, West Hollywood, CA 90069   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
$20.00 per night savings!
Ranked #5 of 17 Hotels in West Hollywood
Los Angeles, California
“Nice stay in cozy neighborhood”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2013

Got a great deal on a 1 bedroom suite for a weekend stay. The suite is EXTREMELY SPACIOUS. While there were no true views of the neighborhood, you are in the HEART of West Hollywood (I would suggest you do your research of Weho before booking a hotel in the area) and it's wonderful! Close to Beverly Hills, there are plenty of shopping and dining options within a couple of miles and even walking distance.

The pool (while on the rooftop) is quaint and there is no elaborate bar or restaurant BUT the food and service are GREAT. The bathrooms are very modern and spacious. Kitchenette is super convenient and the only thing that might throw you off is the carpeting throughout the entire suite. The fireplace sets the mood and give the suite a cozy feel and almost makes you forget all the action you can get in right outside the hotel doors!

In other words, Chamberlain West Hollywood is the epidemy of a fantastic boutique hotel.

Room Tip: If you want true heat and not ambient comfort, use the air condition/heater and do not rely on the f...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (146)
Pittsburgh
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2013

As others have said, I really wanted to like the Chamberlain. I truly did. I have attended several events on the rooftop patio deck and loved the experience. The view, the service, the food and drink all have been exceptional. The patio on the roof is an EXCELLENT place to host a celebration. There's no better place in LA.

As a place to stay??? I'm not so sure, especially given the costs and minor frustrations. Overall, the hotel is okay, probably good, but there are little annoyances around the edge that keep the experience from being what I believe the Chamberlain actually wants it to be.

The rooms are very nice. Plenty of storage space (at least in the suite I occupied). The fireplace is a wonderful amenity (had I stayed in the winter). The bed was extremely comfortable; it was the best sleep I've ever had in a hotel. The AC units in the walls are a bit old-tech, but they kept the suite very comfortable, and the white noise helped me to sleep. There was NO street noise, however; the hotel is in a quite residential neighborhood.

My concerns about the room? First, there was NOTHING in the room -- no book, folder or binder -- that provided hotel details. I had no idea about hotel benefits, services, when the restaurant was open, etc. There were, however, plenty of little signs that informed me of the cost of various hospitality items, the water bottle, the bath amenities (should I want to take them with me), etc. This seemed a bit over-the-top. I wondered if I had missed a sign about the coffee maker. (No charge. But, it's 2013: couldn't the hotel provide little cups of half-and-half as opposed to fake powdered "creamer"?) For me, the killer was the desk chair. It was quite stylish but COMPLETELY impossible to sit in comfortably and get any work done. I had a half-day's work to do in the hotel and I was forced to sit on the couch with my computer in my lap. Not good! I asked the front desk if another chair could be provided, but all I got was a shrug and a "sorry." Also, the wireless service was extremely slow at times and absolutely non-existent in the bedroom. (I had hoped to listen to Pandora in bed but it was not to be.)

The front desk is the slowest, most ineffective team at the hotel, and completely without personality. No eye-contact. No "welcome to the Chamberlain." When I checked in, my room wasn't ready. That was not a problem, however, as we were a bit early arriving. The front desk associate took my phone number and said she'd call when my room would be ready. We were told it would be about 30 minutes. More than an hour later, we had heard nothing. We went back to the front desk and checked in. No apology for not calling. Nothing. Don't offer to call if you're not going to follow-up.

Later that evening asked for change for a $10 bill (so I'd have cash for a tip for the maid). The front desk had NO change. In a hotel? No cash?

When we checked out on Saturday, there was one poor soul working the front desk, trying to check out three or four of us while the phone was ringing constantly in the background.

The Bistro? Good food, well-served though at slightly higher prices than I expected. ($70 for lunch: burger, salads, an appetizer and soft drinks! I guess that explains why the place was empty most of the time.) The service staff are wonderful. Helpful and attendant without being obnoxious. I felt quite well served. My only complaint? Another case of no change in the till. How can you not have an adequate supply of cash in a hotel?

So the lack of information, the uncomfortable desk furniture, the slow wireless, the front-desk farce and a relatively cash-less operation kept me from departing the Chamberlain thinking "Wow, I can't wait to stay here again." I'm just not sure.

Oh, and it's $36/night for parking. $36?!?!?!!!! That seems just a bit excessive.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Holly L, General Manager at Chamberlain West Hollywood, responded to this review, May 17, 2013
Dear ontheroadtoomuch,

Thank you for choosing the Chamberlain West Hollywood for your recent stay! I’d like to thank you for your great review of our Rooftop event space!

Standard procedure when a guest checks in is to let them know about the amenities the hotel has to offer along with the hours of operation for the different areas of the hotel. I do apologize if this was not the case when you checked in and will be sure to speak with our Front Desk to ensure they are properly informing our guests.

We do have signs around the room which are to inform our guests of the various items that are offered and to be sure they are aware of the cost of these. I will look into your suggestion of offering half and half in the rooms. We do also offer coffee service in our lobby every morning that has fresh milk and cream.

I do apologize that you did not find the desk chair comfortable enough to work at the desk and our staff should have provided alternative seating for you so I will check into as to why that did not take place.

I will also speak with the Front Desk staff as the service you received was not what we pride ourselves in offering and it is unacceptable.

Parking in the area is by permit only and is very limited in West Hollywood. Our parking charge of $36 is in line with the other hotels in the area.

Again, I apologize that you were not 100% satisfied with your stay. Please feel free to contact me directly if you would like to discuss items in your review in greater detail.

San Diego, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2013

Not worth the money they are asking. First the bell hop was rude and unorganized. Room was not ready with reservation. Waited 15min...They're computers "were down" even though two other people checked in before us at another counter. We were called down from the room and told card wasnt working (something wrong wtih their computers and my bank) comped with drink tickets? not enough. We were called down to get our own bags (which is not a problem, but what is the bell hop for?) Told at front desk that because I paid with cash the mini bar would be cleared. They decide to wait til we leave , enter our room with privacy/Do Not Disturb placard on the door and cleared it. NO CALL OR WARNING. We had a large amount of $, electronics, and photo equipment mind you. So we packed up and decided to leave even if we couldn't get a refund only being there 2 hrs. Manager on duty even said it was unacceptable that housekeeping came in with the tag on the door. Talked to a few other guests that were asking if we were happy with our stay. We all looked a little uncomfortable in this old apartment complex made up with fresh paint and designer linens for the $ we were paying. Felt violated, No service, Decent Location but not great. Employees were like zombies and had no clue when asked a simple question. Go ELSEWHERE! There are literally 4 or 5 other hotels within walking distance right on main strip for same price and better service.

Room Tip: Read other reviews, not just mine and choose for yourself...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear 5kate88,

Thank you for choosing the Chamberlain West Hollywood! I am sorry to hear that you did not have a great experience with us. I apologize that you did not receive the service we pride ourselves in offering to our guests.

I do understand your frustration with having to wait a short time for your room. Check in is at 3PM so if a guest arrives prior to that we are unable to guarantee that a room will be available for them. Technology is not perfect and sometimes it does not cooperate the way we’d ultimately like it to.

As for the mini bar items being removed from your room, this is the standard policy for all cash customers and was not intended to make you feel like your business wasn't appreciated by the hotel nor was it aimed at making you feel like your privacy had been violated. As you mentioned you were made aware that the mini bar items would be removed from your room but I do apologize if felt you were not adequately notified. I will speak with both my Front Desk and Housekeeping Departments to ensure that correct operating procedures are followed when it comes to mini bars and do not disturb signs.

Again, I am truly sorry you weren't 100% satisfied and I would like the opportunity to speak to you so if you could be so kind to contact me directly I would be more than happy to discuss the other items mentioned in your review.

Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2013

The website presents this hotel in a higher standard than it probably is. Photos can be deceiving.

Attention to details is low. Additional wifi cost is substandard ($11 per 24 hrs), when wifi is a base feature of most hotels.

Staff could not provide much detail on public transport. There is no concierge desk and there is low staff levels, meaning a wait to speak to anyone for directions or help. However, the staff were very polite and helpful.

The room was too hot, with air con that came and went. The room lighting is too dim to see what you were doing. The ipod speakers did not work. A large fabulous TV for the few moments of downtime we had to use it.

The room is massive, a big plus.

The room cleaning failed to empty an overflowing bin and dirty plates.

You sink delightfully into the pillows, however these proved to be too soft and low throughout the night.

The room was noisy with a pump like thumping intermittent.

The pool is much smaller than appearance. A basic pool that presents well. Maybe only 20 lounges or less.

No big issues on the whole, a string of small things that added up to a good but standard experience. I guess we just expected a really swish hotel based on the pictures, but did not quite get that experience.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Dear alalryan,

Thank you for choosing the Chamberlain West Hollywood. I’d like to personally apologize to you since you feel our photos do not adequately represent our property. I can assure you that they are an accurate representation of what the Chamberlain has to offer but do understand if you feel differently. We do charge additionally for wireless internet but do have several packages that include that and parking that we offer as well.

Public transportation in Los Angeles in not as highly used as in other cities but that is changing so I will be sure that our Front Desk staff brushes up on this for the future.

We do feel that we have an adequate number of Front Desk staff members to be able to assist our guests in a timely fashion but I do apologize if you had to wait longer than you felt was appropriate in order to get assistance from one of them.

Our rooftop pool typically has sufficient seating for our hotel guests and we do always have our large Grand Cabana and smaller Demi Cabanas available for a small rental/minimum as well.

In regards to the other issues you faced – I wish that they would have been brought to our attention while you were here as we would have been able to assist then. I’m happy to discuss items further if you would like to contact me directly at the hotel, however.

I look forward to hearing from you!

New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

Great quite location off of Sunset Blvd. Walkable distance to good restaurants and clubs. From the outside, it looks like a residential condo complex.
The rooms are large and modern. Rooms have a fireplace.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

Location wise, this is pretty bang on for getting around to anywhere quickly. We stayed here for our first trip to Hollywood as the location was ideally suited to our needs. While we was happy to travel around in the day to the sights, we wanted to go out and explore the local restaurants and bars of Weho at night. Lovely quiet location but only a stones throw away from Sunset Blvd and surrounding eateries. I would really have to recommend 24 Kitchen on Santa Monica Blvd as I have never been able to get such great tasting food from any restaurant at 1am!!
The Hotel itself has potential to be great and the staff do try their best to help you with whatever you need - the valet guys where especially helpful and always had time for a chat and to recommend and local places of interest.
Parts of the hotel do feel a bit dated and there is the odd smell which although not expected, did not continue into the bedroom and in no way had a bearing on the enjoyment of our stay.
The bar was annoying at times as you would hand over $20 for a couple of drinks and they would never have any change. One evening there was not change in the whole hotel and ended up charging it to the room which we was trying to avoid. This happened 3 times during our weeks stay so decided to venture out instead.
The rooftop pool was a lovely viewing platform to see the city and was a wonderful place to go and get some peace and quiet.
Overall we had a nice stay at the Chamberlain and was a great experience for our first visit. Highly recommend for anyone wishing to stay purposely in weho. A very nice hotel that has little improvements needed to reach the standards it is aiming for but is still full of character, charm and a location to die for,

Room Tip: Our room faced inwards so there was no view but we was only in it to sleep. If you are concerned ab...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Reykjavik
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2013

Great room, loved the kitchenette and living room. Was indeed very comfortable. The staff was excellent and accommodating. The pool at the roof was a great haven. Everything is close by. Will definitely stay there again.

Room Tip: My room was perfect for my needs - full kitchenette and balcony.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business

Been to Chamberlain West Hollywood? Share your experiences!