“Like stiletto's- pretty, but not for everyone” 3 of 5 stars

Palihouse Holloway
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   8465 Holloway Drive, West Hollywood, CA 90069   |
Ranked #14 of 17 hotels in West Hollywood
Temecula, CA
“Like stiletto's- pretty, but not for everyone”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2013

This hotel may be nice midweek (in a more secure room), but it is not a good choice for a Friday or Saturday night stay, unless you are going to the club.

On arrival I was told by the valet (an extra $10) that if I self parked I would not be able to use the elevator to access the hotel (turns out guest need a special key fob to make the elevator run). Parking is also difficult as the night goes on, due to the nightclub patrons.

Once in the hotel there is a distinct incense type of odor. It was around 9 pm on Friday night and the nightclub was already noisy. I told the nice man at the desk that I heard it could be quite noisy and that I hoped it wouldn't be too bad. I received a room directly over the club. Ugh. When I entered the room all of the lights were on and the A/C was set to 60. The thermostat was easy to change and the temperature controls worked well. It took a while to find and operate all of the light switches. When I set my water bottle on the night stand I noticed that it wasn't just noisy in the room-the techno beat from the club below was moving the water in the water bottle! (FYI, They don't stop the music here until 2 a.m., and it seems to be a major income source for the hotel. Partying will continue for a while outside for a while, with the late night IHOP across the street.)

The room itself was very pretty, though a bit rough in spots. Dishes were on the shelf of the kitchenette. There is a washer/dryer in the room. Everything seemed clean. Bed was very comfortable. There is no work desk in the room.

There is a 7/11 on the corner, so no need to spend $10 for a bottle of water. The internet access is free and worked easily. The lights in the room sometimes dimmed for no reason.

Safety was a bit of an issue. The area around the hotel seemed quite safe. Inside the hotel was...odd. The windows open fully-great, except that they don’t lock (there is a lock, it just doesn’t work). The bathroom (shower, no tub) has a shutter for privacy from other guest that might walk by-however it wouldn’t protect you from anyone trying to look in. The card they give you for your dashboard shows your room number-odd.

In order to help with noise, management closes and locks the courtyard doors around midnight. This is a problem if your room is one that requires an elevator change (as mine did). You are locked out or have to go through a whole maze situation.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo

91 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2013 via mobile

As something of a seasoned traveller and also having experienced a virtual plethora of more upmarket hotels ie Blakes, Covent Garden, The Hempel, Mondrian and The Chamberlain I decided to hang my hat at the Palihouse.
I certainly wasn't disappointed in my choice, this is a wonderfully eccentric, esoteric but fabulously welcoming and exquisitely tastefully marshalled combination of Classy European panache coupled with a genteel and sheltering decor which immediately sets the wearied traveller at ease.
The service is absolutely flawless, I cannot find a single negative comment or observation to make, everyone from the domicilliary staff to the FOH/concierge, the maitre d' and the housemaster have mastered the subtle art of attentive service whilst simultaneously not being the least bit stuffy.
The rooms are like New York loft style apartments though far less industrial in feel, every attention is paid to the minutiae the little touches and details which set this hotel apart from the competition.
I especially loved the artwork in my room which I gather the owner and rather wonderful arbiter of taste created.

The nuts and bolts as such are this, lovely airy spacious room which was immaculately presented and maintained, very comfortable bed and great use of layout and aesthetics in making the space both practical but with a unique character, a tough gig to pull off and one which other hotels like The Chamberlain aspire to achieve.

As far as some of the negative feedback on here is concerned I would say if you're sound sensitive dont choose to stay in WeHo perhaps go to Connecticut instead... This is an organic, living, breathing dynamic space which houses everyone from the worlds of commerce, captains of industry to ingenues and young families, all are treated the same, unique to this diamond of a hotel.
I found the noise and bustle of an evening both comforting and reassuring, all of life is here and it's vibrant and going about its business with vigour.
Make room for the best on the block as I gather there's to be a further addition to this family, and that's exactly what it feels like to be here, as though you're staying with a marvellously eccentric auntie and uncle who want to take excellent care of you whilst you enjoy and soak up the fabulous ambience.
The pinnacle of hotel service and design.
I'll definitely be back!

• Stayed February 2013
PalihouseManagement, Manager at Palihouse Holloway, responded to this review, March 11, 2013
Dear Vigard66,

Wow. What an amazing review we received from you. Thank you so much! We are thrilled that you completely enjoyed your experience and appreciate all that Palihouse West Hollywood has to offer.

Please contact Gonzalo@pali-group.com next time you are planning to stay with us. We sincerely look forward to having you back sometime soon.

Finest regards,
Palihouse Management

PS: next time someone complains about the noise, we are going to quote your Weho vs. Connecticut comment. That gave us a LOL moment!
New York City, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2013

The Palihouse is so cheap that instead of custom matchboxes they just put a sticker on a generic matchbox. This may be a small detail, but it's the kind of lack of quality and attention to detail that you can expect throughout the property.

My terrible experience started when I arrived after midnight on a Thursday to an event in full swing. I made sure to ask for a room away from the noise and was assured that on the top floor I'd be fine. Not so. Directly over the club, the bass literally rattled the shutters. After multiple calls and being assured twice they would turn it down, I was only able to sleep wearing the earplugs (the only thing provided in the nightstand, i.e. they already know that it's way too loud) AND headphones.

The fact that there was a black streak (looked like makeup or ash) on the sheets when I pulled back the covers didn't help in getting the sleep I needed for an early work day.

The next morning, i discovered the room was also missing a robe and a hairdryer. I could go on and on--from the misinformation from the staff that led me to eating breakfast at a 7-11 to the dirty dishes sitting in the hallway all day. Just start opening the drawers and looking closely at the furnishings to see how much they've scrimped here--I've seen nicer furniture in Ikea.

The courtyard is pleasant and the staff was nice and did try to make amends, but how can they help when they clearly have little to no authority and there simply aren't enough of them to run the place properly? The manager gave me a free breakfast and moved me to a different room, acting like it was a favor that I paid a lower rate when it was also for a smaller room. I paid full rates by the way ($600) when I was much happier and better served at the nearby Standard Hotel and at about 1/3 of the price.

And this is where the heart of the problem lies. I regularly stay in hotels of this calibre, so I know good hospitality when I see it. But, when a property is so cheap that it's glaringly obvious--yet they charge exorbitant rates--something is wrong. This place is a total scam, avoid it at all costs.

Room Tip: if you must stay here, get a room that's not over the club/bar.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
PalihouseManagement, Manager at Palihouse Holloway, responded to this review, February 15, 2013
Dear AK78,

We are sorry that Palihouse was not for you. Let me start by saying the match boxes are unique to Palihouse – but not everyone gets or appreciates our sense of style.

I also recall you asking for a complimentary accommodation for your entire stay – in good faith and as we strive to please all of our guests and due to the amount of complaints we received from you, we gave you one night complimentary stay and a free breakfast. Obviously our effort to make you feel comfortable and looked after did not work. We apologize for this.

In regards to the robe and the hairdryer – as per our conversation, we provide one robe in the room and the hairdryer was in the drawer (which you overlooked).

AK78 - we don't claim to be the right hotel for every guest, nonetheless, we appreciate your feedback.

Finest regards,
Fremont, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2013

First things first, Hotel was very clean. Staying here was beyond my expectations and when I return to L.A., I will be staying here again. The overall service of the hotel from front desk to housekeeping was prompt and personal. They are very courteous to your needs and make sure everything you ask for gets done. In addition, the location is in the center of most LA attractions. Restaurant row is 5 minutes away & Beverly Hills/Hollywood 10 minutes away.

I highly, HIGHLY recommend staying here!!

Room Tip: Stay in the Corner King Suite. Best Value for the money.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
PalihouseManagement, Manager at Palihouse Holloway, responded to this review, February 5, 2013
Dear BrandonPimental,

Thank you for your five-star review!

We are truly thrilled to hear you enjoyed your stay and are happy to know our staff and hotel exceeded your expectations.

We look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Thank you again for sharing your positive experience.

Finest Regards,
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2013 via mobile

I was pleasantly surprised by Palihouse. Although the location doesn't make it convenient to venture too far out without a car, it's in the heart of everything- so many bars, clubs, restaurants nearby to keep you occupied. The staff, especially the front desk, were all very sweet and helpful. My room and overall hotel appearance was cleanly. Its worth the price to be taken care of in a prime location over stating in a dirty, overpriced hollywood motel!!

• Stayed January 2013
Dear Brandywine02,

Thank you for your four star review. We are delighted to hear you were pleasantly surprised and that our staff was able to assist you in having a nice stay.

We look forward to having you with us in the future.

Thank you again for sharing your positive experience with us!

Warm Regards,
New York City
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2013

I prefer unique hotels and I chose the Palihouse via Hotel tonight for the first night, which was nice. Then, I decided to extend my stay not only once but twice due to a red eye flight back to NYC. On my second night, the front desk made an error after giving me a wonderful upgrade by not actually placing us in the upgraded room via their computer system, therefore losing the keys to our vehicle due to the room change. That was a minor error in my opinion. However, after paying the full price $450 for the second night and "partial" third night, I was disappointed to return to a suite with a dirty tabletop, floors, and none of the towels were replaced, even though I placed them on the floor as requested for replenishment. They also failed to replenish the bottled water and wine. I was disappointed that the attention to such details were overlooked. What really pissed me off was that they did not replace the bed linens as requested. I even left a $20 tip at the desk for the room attendant, because I left the room for lunch later than usual. I was steaming to find my room in its condition after leaving a generous tip. Go figure! There was a wonderful night auditor who helped us on the first night. The check-in clerk and the night auditor were the stars of my visit to the hotel. My only other complaint was that there were no ipod docking stations or audio cables to connect your iPhone the stereo. The people in charge of this place should know that their guests are iphone users. Duh! What's more, room service was not available when I needed it most. On Monday, I asked for a late checkout and for it, they declined, so I had to extend another night. The bar is great if you want to be part of the scene. Just make sure you select a room on the third floor to avoid the noise if you want to call it quits before the rest of the patrons. The rooms are styled well. Just don't expect to have new soap and shampoo delivered each day. I guess for $450 they expect you to bring your own. I only received one set, which we used and we did not receive more. And YES managers, I called the damn desk and asked for more. I am an experienced traveler. Thank you very much!!!! You run a better bar than you do lodging establishment.

Room Tip: Select a third floor room.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
PalihouseManagement, Manager at Palihouse Holloway, responded to this review, January 28, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write your review on Trip Advisor. I am truly sorry to hear your stay wasn't more enjoyable. At Palihouse, we always strive to deliver the utmost in service and convenience to our guests and your review has been taken seriously and addressed with the front desk agents.

I would certainly like to address some of your concerns below and we do hope you give us another chance. If you contact me directly, I will personally make sure your stay and experience is one to remember. My email address is gonzalo@palihouse.com.

To begin, I would like to apologize for the mix up with your keys. After speaking with our staff I am glad to hear your keys were returned to you promptly.

In regards to housekeeping services and as Palihouse is designed as an extended stay hotel, we do not offer daily housekeeping unless specifically requested by guests. We apologize this was not clearly communicated upon your arrival by our staff, although this information is stated on both a pre arrival email and in a welcome letter given to all guest at check in. For your convenience, our hotel staff is always on hand to replenish any of the amenities you may require at a moment’s notice. I am sorry to hear there was some miscommunication in getting your bed linens replaced but I am glad to hear there were some 'stars' on staff.

As for our sound system, we do offer hi-end Bose stereo with AUX cables for iPhones and other similar devices. I am sorry you were not able to locate them in the room. This information and much more is also in our in-room guest directory for future reference. You can also dial 100 to reach a Palihouse agent 24 hours a day for any similar questions or request.

Finally, I would like to extend an apology for the noise you experienced. The Courtyard Brasserie restaurant closes and 11pm on weeknights and 12pm on weekends. We also close all doors leading to the open courtyard at these times which typically alleviates any noise leading to our guest rooms.

We do hope our response was helpful in explaining some of your experience and we hope to see you again in the near future.

Gonzalo Quintero
Director of Palihouse Operations
Brisbane
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2013

Who would think a night club just below a hotel room in an open space, would bring a warm fuzzy feeling to its patrons. We were silly enough to stay here from Saturday through to Tuesday which included New Year's Eve. So we should be thankful that we had one good nights sleep, but that was only because the nightclub/restaurant doesn't open on Sundays. New Year's Eve, we had girls screaming past our room, drinking outside our bedroom till at least 2am in the morning. Apparently Hollywood standards this is an acceptable hour to go to bed. Did I mention that we had a 5 year old staying with us. Needless to say he didn't go to bed before midnight. BUT they do provide you with ear plugs. Not sure what there suppose to do? The receptionist at check-in commented on what a good rate we got through Expedia. By the time we checked out, I am so pleased we hadn't Paid the normal $450.00 a night. Having had 2hours sleep, I believe they owe us money. This must be a constant common complaint from patrons. Unless your one of the party goers till 2am or later. This is definitely not the place for you. Very, very un satisfied customer. Can't say how happy I was to fly out of L.A.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
PalihouseManagement, Manager at Palihouse Holloway, responded to this review, January 4, 2013
Hi Jo,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your recent stay with us at Palihouse - we also contacted you directly on Facebook following your post.

We apologize you did not enjoy your stay with us during the New Year’s holiday, and we are also sorry that other hotel guests on New Years Eve were being loud – we would urge you to contact the front desk in situations like this and they could have handled the disruption for you quickly.

I can assure you that our hotel guests are always the top priority for us, and many of our guests choose to stay at Palihouse for the complete experience which includes a bustling bar in the lobby lounge. We strive to provide a home away from home as well as a unique place where people come together.

I do hope you re-consider about staying with us in the future. We would love the opportunity to host you and your family again.

Best,
Palihouse Management

Been to Palihouse Holloway? Share your experiences!