“Authentic L A Cool - perfect hotel for the right trip” 5 of 5 stars

Palihouse Holloway
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   8465 Holloway Drive, West Hollywood, CA 90069   |
Ranked #13 of 17 Hotels in West Hollywood
Indio, California
“Authentic L A Cool - perfect hotel for the right trip”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2012

This hotel oozes Los Angeles cool plus spacious rooms and excellent staff. This is not the perfect hotel for every trip, but if you are looking for someplace hip and cool while at the same time warm and comfortable this is it. The rooms are fantastic, my room was literally bigger than my first apartment (and with a much nicer kitchen!) plush the decor was spot on.

Some of the reviewers are right - you can hear the music from downstairs - but I was on the second floor and it didn't bother me. This is not a "chain" or business hotel, part of staying here was soaking up the atmosphere. During the day the lobby is an oasis of calm, I felt relaxed as soon as I walked up to the front "desk" - where you can relax on the sofa while being checked in. At night the lobby bar heats up and the night we were there they were drawing quite a crowd, but we were just coming back from a show at the House of Blues and considered it part of the fun. Hotel info says they turn the music down at 11 p.m. on weeknights.

The service was very good. As others have stated, the service is excellent with out being stuffy. Warm and friendly with "in your face" fake cheerfulness. I e-mailed ahead that I might need a roll-away bed for my son. They responded right away and when I arrived the bed was in my room and all set up. I cannot stress enough how large the rooms are! I've been in some older places which have been "renovated" to be hipster cool, but they lacked fit and finish. The Palihouse Holloway didn't skimp on attention to detail. The shades, the glasses in the kitchen, the fittings in the bathroom - they all combine to make you feel right at home. There is even a washer/dryer!

Walking distance to many great restaurants and the clubs on Sunset Blvd. If you don't want to park at the hotel (and parking is expensive at almost all Los Angeles area hotels) you can park in the public garage 1 block away.

No coffee in the room, but there was a tea kettle! They have excellent coffee/espresso to order in the lobby.

I would stay here again - and my teenagers loved it.

Room Tip: If you are concerned about noise - ask for a room farther from the nightclub.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
PalihouseManagement, Manager at Palihouse Holloway, responded to this review, January 4, 2013
Dear Ioric1969,

Thank you for your five-star review of Palihouse! We are thrilled to hear you enjoyed your stay and are happy to hear you also experienced our great customer service.

We look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Thank you again for sharing your positive experience.

Finest regards,
Palihouse Management

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Topeka, Kansas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 21, 2012

I agree with the previous reviewer comments wholeheartedly. When I first arrived, I was impressed by the modern vibe, spacious rooms, cleanliness, and amenities available (in room kitchenette, washer/dryer, etc). However, I was not to pleased that each night I tossed and turned to booming music (until at least 2 am) that reminded me of my college days. My boyfriend and I were puzzled by if they were really a hotel, nightclub, or short term rental business. It seemed as if we were the only other individuals there staying as a hotel guest, and it was quite awkward walking through a private party to make the way to our room. Parking is ridiculously expensive ($26/night) and described as valet (but only for certain hours). I think they should just scrap calling it valet, because most often we had to get our car and it was a process to find someone to let us into the garage to get the car. While the place is gorgeous, the staff is friendly and helpful, it just seems like they don't have focus on what type of business they are trying to run.

Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
San Francisco, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2012

I really wanted to like this hotel. Great location, fresh decor, spacious, comfortable rooms. Nice to have space to spread out and a kitchenette available. However, if you are wanting peace and quiet--or at least a hotel without booming club music infiltrating your space--you will need to look elsewhere. It's a ridiculous business model to try and have a hopping bar scene in a building with an echoing courtyard area that runs up the entire hotel. Impossible to sleep, and the staff is powerless, if well-intentioned, to try and facilitate quiet. Granted, they did move me to a quieter room in the back of the property, but not after tossing and turning for a couple of precious hours without sleep. Perhaps good for night-owls, but pity those who may have an early flight as I did.

Room Tip: Away from the din of the bar, if at all possible.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Park Ridge, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2012

The Palihouse Holloway was like a home away from home.

Josh and Georgia treated me like I was a guest in their home, and the accommodations were SPECTACULAR! It seems to me they bent over backwards to accommodate my every need -- but not in a stuffy formal way, just how you'd treat a friend -- everything was just right.

And when my battery went dead for my iPad, the meeting service staff gladly plugged my iPhone into their personal computers so I'd have power on the way home.

Georgia was quick to give me directions to every place I wanted to visit and Josh offered to call a car service when I mentioned I was going to LAX at the end of my trip.

The room I stayed in was HUGE and beautifully appointed. There was even a really cool kitchen with a dining table right there -- and there are WINDOWS -- and they OPEN. A real treat if you're used to staying in blah chain hotels.

The location can't be beat -- 10 minute walk to Robertson, where all the great cafes and restaurants are located.

Just book it!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
PalihouseManagement, Manager at Palihouse Holloway, responded to this review, December 14, 2012
Hi MRoman24,

Thank you for your wonderful five-star review. We are truly delighted to hear the terrific feedback on Josh and Georgia and that you felt right at home - which is exactly the experience we aim to give our guests at Palihouse.

We hope to see you again soon!

London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2012

The room was nice and all, and we liked it enough to stay two extra nights - big mistake.

Upon checking out we received our invoices and saw we had been charged at double the rate that we had on our booking confirmation (-1). The guy on the desk agreed that they had messed up but said he personally could do nothing to correct it and we would need to email their sales manager Cara Federici to sort out the refund (-2). I emailed her that day but received no reply until I chased her up again a week later (-3). She told me it had 'all been taken care of', but upon checking with my bank we had only been refunded half of what was owed (-4). Emailed Cara again asking what was going on and was told they were only refunding the first two nights as this is all we had proof for, and that the second two nights would stay at their highest rate! (-100)

Really disappointed at being scammed like this, it was not what I was expecting from a seemingly respectable establishment. So watch out!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
PalihouseManagement, Manager at Palihouse Holloway, responded to this review, November 27, 2012
Dear guest,

Thank you for your posting. We apologize for any confusion regarding your booking, and it is by no means our goal to overcharge anyone! We are fair and honest and only oblige to our policies according to the terms of each reservation.

Anytime we are asked to bend the rules, make refunds, or reduce rates regardless of reason, we always do our very best to accommodate when possible yet also ask that our policies as outlined are respected in turn.

That said, it seems there may still be an unclear understanding of what specifically occured during your stay. Would you be so kind as to call Gonzalo Quintero, our Rooms Housemaster, at 323 327 9607 so he can look into the matter for you & we can make sure this is made right for you if an additional resolve is needed?

We thank you for your response.

Warm regards,

Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2012

My mother and I stayed at the Palihouse this November. It is a beautiful hotel with huge spacious rooms. The grounds of the hotel are very clean and well looked after.
The courtyard and dining area of this hotel is gorgeous especially at night. The hotel is very central to main roads, there is easy access to and from their underground parking garage.

The staff are so friendly and very helpful. Our room was cleaned every other day, the cleaning staff was great, they would provide extra items if requested no questions asked.

We really enjoyed our stay with the Palihouse and would suggest it if you are looking for somewhere to stay in West Hollywood whether it is business or leisure.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
PalihouseManagement, Manager at Palihouse Holloway, responded to this review, December 3, 2012
Hi CLS06,

Thank you for your 5 star review of Palihouse. We are truly delighted to hear the terrific feedback on our staff and that you and your mother enjoyed your overall experience!

We hope to see you again soon!

Chicago Ridge, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2012

From the moment you walk in, this place was great. We must have looked a little bewildered because what turned out to be the hotel manager greeted us and walked us to the reception desk. He was excellent throughout the stay, seemingly always available, and always had a smile on his face. The young lady who checked us in was lovely as well.

It does get a little noisy some nights but, you are in Hollywood so it was a somewhat expected. The cleanliness of the room was impeccable and the quality of the sheets were nice. Our TV did not work at first but that was quickly resolved with a phone call. We did not have dinner but the atmosphere looked inviting. Overall, it was a very nice place and we plan to come back soon. Thank you Palihouse!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Hi John,

Thank you for 5 start review of Palihouse. We are delighted to hear you had a great experience and very much look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Thank you again for sharing your positive experience with us!

Palihouse Management

Been to Palihouse Holloway? Share your experiences!