“Hmmm!” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #14 of 17 Hotels in West Hollywood
London, United Kingdom
“Hmmm!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

It's cute, quaint and the staff are lovely. But in my opinion this is not a hotel to stay in if you are on business.

For starters, the restaurant is closed Sunday and Monday - so no food. I am working long days, get back to the hotel and all I want is dinner and bed. They offer to go out for me but that's not the point.

There was an event one night during which the bass pumped into my bedroom - I called to complain and to their credit they turned the bass down. But they couldn't move me to a quieter room, I was given drinks vouchers and a free bottle of water by way of compensation.

There's also quite a lot of noise from the street as it's off Santa Monica Boulevard - definitely recommend ear plugs.

The Wifi is ropey. Better during the week, but at the weekend was horrendously weak.

Also, there is no business centre. Reception are more than happy to print out whatever you email to them, but that's not possible with confidential documents.

There is a bar open even when the restaurant is closed so that's something, but I won't ever stay here on business again. I'm not going to stay don't stay here, but for all it's PR, it falls well short of what I would consider a professional hotel.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
PalihouseManagement, Manager at Palihouse Holloway, responded to this review, November 15, 2012
Dear guest,

Thank you for your feedback. We appreciate your honesty, and are pleased to hear our staff offered remedies to all your concerns whilst on premise.

We understand Palihouse might not be the right fit for travelers who are accustomed to a big box style property like Marriott or Hyatt. We pride ourselves on individuality, comfortability of our oversized suites, and personalized service.

For guests who seek out this type of experience, we deliver a product & value proposition that is always well received.

We wish you all the very best in your travels, and thank you again for your posting.

Warm regards,

Palihouse Management

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2012

Wonderful accommodations, clean, well maintained, attentive staff. Our stay was a true pleasure. I don't agree with some of the other reviews I have read on this property, I work in the travel industry, I travel extensively throughout the US and abroad, The staff, especially Jessica and Georgia were outstanding! This hotel is most like a residence property, the room we had was larger than my own home! Lush finishes, warm and inviting.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
PalihouseManagement, Manager at Palihouse Holloway, responded to this review, November 9, 2012
Dear Jeff,

Thank you for your wonderful review. We are delighted to hear the terrific feedback on our staff and that you enjoyed your overall experience!

We look forward to having you stay with us in the future!

Finest regards,
Palihouse Management
Bothell, Washington
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2012

The hotel is right off of Santa Monica Blvd right in between West Hollywood and Beverly Hills, so perfect Location.
Since this was originally a condo complex the rooms are very large and have kitchens. The beds are very comfortable and there is free Internet.
There are a few negatives to consider however.
The elevator often didn't work
Parking is $26
The hotel rents out its bar downstairs for huge parties (all 3 nights that we were there) so in addition to it being very noisy, guests cant even get a drink or sit in the bar. Guests seem to be sort of an afterthought. They put earplugs in your room along with a preprinted card apologizing in advance for the noise!
There is no pool or a gym, not a deal breaker but it would have been nice.

I would probably stay elsewhere next time because for the money we paid, I expected a more full service hotel.

If you are just looking for a large room and you don't care about anything else then you wont be disappointed.

Room Tip: Get one farthest away from the bar.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
PalihouseManagement, Manager at Palihouse Holloway, responded to this review, October 19, 2012
Dear guest,

Thank you for sharing your experience, and feedback.

We agree our location in West Hollywood is ideal, centrally located yet situated on a private residential side street. It offers guests privacy yet with the ability to walk to local shops, restaurants, and sites - thank you for complimenting this aspect of your stay.

We are delighted you feel the suites are large, and the beds are comfortable. It is our goal to ensure our product exceeds expectation, and we are also pleased you noticed our efforts.

We are sorry to hear you felt your room was noisy, and because of it the value of the rate was minimized. Part of the allure of Palihouse is not only the location, size or décor - but also the ambiance and vibe created by our culture. While we understand this value might not be important to everyone, our priority is fully committed to providing a restful, and peaceful nights sleep for every guest.

We do not have record of a noise complaint during your stay. We encourage all guests to advise the front desk immediately of any concern so it can be remedied at that time, and do whatever needed to ensure you enjoy your time with us.

We hope to have another opportunity of serving you in the future.

Sincere regards,

Los Angeles, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2012

Expensive for the services.

I went with my family for a week the last month and I reserved 4 rooms, one of the rooms had to be cancelled for major reasons and we sent the evidence of this and they never replied .
On my arrival they pretended that they didn´t know anything about the cancellation and we show the evidence again, they said that they would take care of it, but they didn´t do anything and charge the room anyway and It was an elevated charge.

This place dosen´t have house keeping every day and dosen´t respect the conditions, no parking for guest and if you have a car you need to pay separetely and there was no concierge at all, the have one pricipal entrance and always its chaotic for the events in which you are not welcome. Anyway, I don´t recomend this place.

Room Tip: You can check a rooms in a diferents hotels. I don´t recomend this. Always is better any corner a...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
PalihouseManagement, Manager at Palihouse Holloway, responded to this review, October 11, 2012
Dear guest,

Thank you for your posting. We are sorry to hear you did not enjoy your stay. We strive for the utmost in customer care at all times, so we are dissapointed to hear we may have fallen short.

We are always open minded to feedback that helps us grow, so we appreciate your remarks about parking and check in. We will make sure to address them with our team going forward.

We checked our records, and show your cancellation was within the penalty period. We also show our Rooms Housemaster contacted you multiple times with an explanation of the policy, a sincere apology for the situation, and an re-booking incentive to return on another trip, with complimentary upgrade and value added amenities. We understand you declined the offer.

We would be delighted to welcome you back again, and hold to the commitment we previously given. To confirm a stay or discuss your concerns further, please feel free to call our Rooms Housemaster, Gonzalo Quintero, at anytime via the hotel front desk: 323 327 9607.

We wish you all the very best in your travels.

Warm regards,

New York City, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2012

Prelude - My boyfriend and I normally stay at The London in West Hollywood which we have never been disappointed with; if anything we have always been shocked by how polite and helpful the staff is and how well maintained the hotel is.

We came across a deal on JetSetter for the Palihouse and decided to give it a go. From the website it look like a luxury boutique hotel and seemed to have all the amenities we look for in a hotel. I now regret not having read the reviews before making the booking for the Palihouse!!

This is what we experienced:
- we checked in around 10pm Thursday Oct 4th; the valet guy had already left for the night.
- we parked our own car in the hotel garage and had to drag our bags up the stairs since the elevator only works if you have a room key (we weren't even able to enter the lobby without a room key therefore parking the car first was our only option).
- we walked into a room that was like pictured on the site but felt and looked cheap in person.
- there were only two bath towels and no extra ones anywhere in the room.
- there was one dressing gown - we checked in as a couple therefore they should have at least provided two from the beginning - and when we requested a second one they said that that was a problem since they didn't have any extra dressing gowns.
- the shower drain was covered in hair from a previous guest and looked as if it had not been cleaned in weeks.
- the fire alarm in the room started beeping one evening because the battery was low.
- the iron was not working and we had to call housekeeping 4 times within a 45 minute period to get a new one.
- one evening when we were calling house keeping for clean bath towels our call kept going to voicemail.
- we were charged $26 for valet parking even though not once did the valet guy park our car or get our car for us. We parked it every time ourselves and we were never offered valet parking service.
- some evenings especially over the weekend when there seemed to some kind of event at the hotel we were not able to find parking in the garage and had to park along the side wall of the ramps.
- there is no minibar, complimentary drinking water or anything of that sort but there is a huge kitchen that is somewhat useless to most guests.

These were all somewhat small encounters that we had to deal with and even if we were already annoyed by the quality of the hotel, cleanness of the room and the quality of the service offered by the staff; what really topped it off for us was what happened the day of the check out...

The last night at the hotel we asked at the front desk for late check out for the next morning and we were told that it would not be a problem but we had to check again the morning of the check out.
As instructed, we called the morning of the check out at around 9am and they told us that late check out was not possible because they were fully booked and we had to be out by 11am and if we chose to check out later than 11am then we would be charged another full night in the room. We asked how this even made sense to them since they had just told us that they were fully booked. The guy at the front desk had no reply to that and told me I had to speak to the sales manager, I asked to be passed to the sales manager and I was told that he would not be in until around 10am so i told him to have the manager call me.
I was contacted by the manager and he changed the story saying that there were only two rooms left available for that night and this is why i had to tell them immediately if i wanted a late check out so that he could reserve the room for me and charge us the extra night.
After a long talk with the manager about how disappointed we were with the whole Palihouse experience the best that he could do for us was to extend our check out to 12 (noon)...an additional hour...wow.

My boyfriend and I have both traveled the world, we have stayed at some of the best international and national hotels. We know what to expect from a 5 star hotel and from a 4 star hotel.

Palihouse for us is on the level of a motel run by young amateurs.

We wanted to try something new and after 4 nights at the Palihouse and over a $1000 later we regret having not simply chosen to stay at the London as we normally do.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
PalihouseManagement, Manager at Palihouse Holloway, responded to this review, October 12, 2012
Dear guest,

Thank you for your posting. We are sorry to hear you were dissatisfied with your stay. As you can imagine our goal is the very best in customer service, so we are dissapointed we did not exceed your expectations.

We would like to take this opportunity to clarify our services:

1. Parking on property is $26 per night to have a reserved space in our garage. This is self parking with in and out service anytime. The benefit of this is a safe and convenient parking space on premise without the hassle of waiting for a valet escort. It is also private, and unlike most Sunset Hotels that charge upwards of $40 for parking, it represents a small savings to the guest.

2. We pride ourselves on cleanliness of each and every suite. Our housekeepers are well trained and all rooms are triple inspected before a guest checks in. We are committed to making sure we uphold these expectations and will absolutely address the housekeeping department regarding your complaint. Moreover, we encourage guests to advise us at the time of instance instead of afterward, so we are able to offer a room move or service recovery rather than keeping a guest in the hotel who is not pleased.

3. We stock each and every room with ample towels, robes, and any other needed item as part of our standard protocol. We also check to be sure all electronic items are in full working order. We typically get compliments in this area of our service delivery, and especially as it relates to the quality of our terry, linen, and equipment in our rooms. We are sad to hear it was not up to par during your stay - and will again detail our protocol with our Chief Engineer and Director of Housekeeping.

4. Check out time is 11 am PST. We are always happy to deliver a complimentary late check out when we can, however, it is not guaranteed unless you reserve the shoulder night. This is the standard practice at all hotels. We are glad to hear you received an extra hour complimentary, and we hope you understand our need to ensure rooms are ready for arrivals by 3pm the same day.

We would truly like to apologize for any inconvenience you experienced, and would love an opportunity to prove our commitment to service excellence. We are happy to offer you a 1 night complimentary stay to use on a return visit, and promise to exceed your expectations. To make your reservations, please call Gonzalo Quintero – Rooms Housemaster, at 323 327 9607.

We wish you all the best.

lisbon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2012

I stayed at palihouse last week for 2 weeks. The first time I walked into my room, i realized it was an apartment and not just a hotel room. I was so happy. I ended up staying way longer than planned. The staff is super helpful, the location is perfect, the food is great. You really feel like you can be private but have all you need when you ask for it. The beds are so comfortable and there is always something going on in the lobby area.5 stars for sure

Room Tip: avoid the 4th floor under the roof because they have Yoga classes and can get noisy.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
PalihouseManagement, Manager at Palihouse Holloway, responded to this review, October 16, 2012
Hi Miguel Stanley,

Thank you for your kind review, and we hope to see you again when you're back in Los Angeles.

Best,
Palihouse
San Francisco, California, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2012

I just stayed at the Palihouse for the first time. A very cool eclectic environment from the moment you walk in the door. It takes a bit of figuring out to get a feel for how this open space lobby and cafe works, but once you get the hang it is fun to be around others in the communal lobby area where people are working, eating and drinking in the neat little seating areas. My room was facing the street on the second floor but was very quiet and private. Nice linens, comfortable bed and next time I will stock the fridge and spend more time just hanging out. No noise from adjoining rooms either and when they have events in the open center atrium they end at 11pm. This is a very adult, hip hideaway in the center of the best parts of LA. I am returning next week and I know I will feel right at home.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Hi Pclaypool,

Thank you for your kind review, and we hope to see you again when you're back in LA.

Best,
Palihouse

Been to Palihouse Holloway? Share your experiences!