“why i did not want to leave” 5 of 5 stars

Palihouse Holloway
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   8465 Holloway Drive, West Hollywood, CA 90069   |
Ranked #13 of 17 Hotels in West Hollywood
lisbon
“why i did not want to leave”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2012

I stayed at palihouse last week for 2 weeks. The first time I walked into my room, i realized it was an apartment and not just a hotel room. I was so happy. I ended up staying way longer than planned. The staff is super helpful, the location is perfect, the food is great. You really feel like you can be private but have all you need when you ask for it. The beds are so comfortable and there is always something going on in the lobby area.5 stars for sure

Room Tip: avoid the 4th floor under the roof because they have Yoga classes and can get noisy.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
PalihouseManagement, Manager at Palihouse Holloway, responded to this review, October 16, 2012
Hi Miguel Stanley,

Thank you for your kind review, and we hope to see you again when you're back in Los Angeles.

Best,
Palihouse

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
San Francisco, California, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2012

I just stayed at the Palihouse for the first time. A very cool eclectic environment from the moment you walk in the door. It takes a bit of figuring out to get a feel for how this open space lobby and cafe works, but once you get the hang it is fun to be around others in the communal lobby area where people are working, eating and drinking in the neat little seating areas. My room was facing the street on the second floor but was very quiet and private. Nice linens, comfortable bed and next time I will stock the fridge and spend more time just hanging out. No noise from adjoining rooms either and when they have events in the open center atrium they end at 11pm. This is a very adult, hip hideaway in the center of the best parts of LA. I am returning next week and I know I will feel right at home.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Hi Pclaypool,

Thank you for your kind review, and we hope to see you again when you're back in LA.

Best,
Palihouse
San Diego
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2012

This hotel was on our short list for an impromptu visit to West
Hollywood to catch a reunion act @ The Viper Room which is just blocks
away. There are mixed reviews on this Hotel but between the pictures
and information on the hotels website, and being able to secure a
decent 3 night rate, I did decide to book here because the location in
relation to other planned activities were all within walking distance.
This hotel is very near The Abbey, French Quarter, Fubar, Whiskey a Go
Go, etc, and just a short cab ride to the Bar Marmont side of Sunset
Strip. Parking was secured and a bit cheaper than other hotels in the
area and had 24/7 in out privileges. The neighborhood is safe and
relatively quiet, close to everything, ideal. We did not eat at the
hotels restaurant due to plans with others, but it seemed very popular
and it always smelled good. I liked that if we needed to we could
order room service or keep / prepare snacks, cook meals, or make coffee
in our room which was great for entertaining guests. Spacious room,
terrific, it was clean and comfortable. Rain / Steam shower with
wonderful waterfall pressure. No service problems, everyone friendly
and helpful, we did have to reset our cable box 3 times (unplug it,
wait for set up to finish), which was annoying. The tile in the lobby
elevator desperately needs to be redone. The rooftop was cool and
private, nice views, but kinda sparsely equipped with only picnic
tables, wish there had been tables and chairs, loungers, and a shaded
area. Other than that it was a great stay and would return without
hesitation.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
PalihouseManagement, Manager at Palihouse Holloway, responded to this review, November 9, 2012
Dear Jimmy,

We are delighted to hear you had a great stay at Palihouse.

We are however sorry to hear you had to reset your cable box three times and are looking into this issue.

We look forward to having you with us in the future.

Thank you again for sharing your experience with us!

Finest regards,
Palihouse Management
Dallas, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2012

Great room, also got a free upgrade because of a mix up with my booking via 3rd party site. They are a bit pricey for what you get but it's very luxurious! Only downside is I did not like being interrogated every time I had a guest come over. Manager actually asked me how many people I have in the room. After spending that amount of money that it would be any of his concern that I had some friends over. Also, I always felt harassed entering in the front door. A worker there asked me if I was staying at the hotel and I said yes, he then asked to see my key/fob and said this does not look like one of their key fobs...I told him to touch it to the door and unlock it to see for himself (Trying to prove to a random worker I was actually staying there) Then after it worked he looked at my black friend and said "is this guy really with you?" I was appalled. Place is great but feels like your going through TSA everytime you go to your room. Also, when you walk in the desk is hard to find. The manager/desk person area looks like someone is just sitting there on their laptop playing on the internet...did not look like a normal check in area. GREAT HOTEL HORRIBLE STAFF AND MANAGEMENT!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
PalihouseManagement, Manager at Palihouse Holloway, responded to this review, September 22, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your posting. We are delighted to hear you think the hotel accommodations are wonderful, and that you received a beautiful free upgrade.

We are sorry to hear our service did not exceed your expectations. It is our goal to ensure all guests feel welcomed, at all times – and that every overnight guest has a restful, relaxing experience.

We truly apologize if our communication surrounding events in suite came across harshly, or unwelcoming. That is absolutely not our intention and we will re-train our staff to ensure they do better in this area.

That said, we are passionate about making sure one guest's happiness does not create a negative experience for another. We suggest that guests planning events in suite (or having more than a couple guests to their suite) please be sure to communicate ahead of time with our events department & front desk so we may avoid any confusion, and provid the best service at all times.

We look forward to having you with us in the future, so we can prove our commitment to service excellence and training. We promise results.

Until then, we wish you all the best in your travels.

New London, Connecticut
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2012

It is clearly stated on Paligroup what type of rentals these are. If you have no experience with residential hotels / rental units I suggest not slamming them for providing exactly what many often look for. These units are well maintained, comfortable, and beautiful. This upscale 4 star property is private and secure, the location is perfect, and any service or arrangement is available with a phone call. We, and particularly our Guests, were not disturbed as promised. We had no instance of rudeness or inconvenience and am over-rating Palihouse Holloway because I believe that some reviewers did not appreciate the value of the rate for this sensible WeHo choice. Palihouse Holloway is a popular venue in the thick of the scene. Do your homework, or trust someone who knows well, if you aren't familiar with an area. For those who complain about noise, why were you staying in the heart of it ?, doy, you're in LA by the Strip. We thought P Holloway was surprisingly quiet. Once our units door closed we didn't notice / mind / care about noise. We heard nothing from adjoining rooms at any time, and yes we knew they were occupied by weekend partiers. Thursday night and most of Friday was pleasantly business casual throughout the common area's / lunch’s, dinner’s cocktails with discerning clientele. Friday, and especially Saturday night, the Restaurant / atrium and large Lobby / Club, were completely jacked up, with a line down the street waiting to get in. All we had to do was show our key at the rope, or to security to fob in at other entrances, very basic / simple. Experienced traveler, really ? How is safe and secure ever a hassle ? There are so many fine choices for staying in West Hollywood / Beverly Hills. This place was a great alternative to somewhere much more expensive.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Dear Ledgelight,

Thank you for your wonderful review and for ‘getting us’! We sincerely look forward to having you back again soon.

Finest regards,
Palihouse Management
Redondo Beach, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2012

My boyfriend and I checked in on Sunday night of Labor day weekend. The room was spacious and clean. The following morning we were informed by a not-so courteous front-desk attendant, that our room was subsequently booked and therefore we could not have a later checkout than 12:30 pm. In our haste to check out on time, we inadvertently left behind our iPad. The following day, we noticed our iPad was missing and called the hotel to claim our item. Yet another rude front-desk attendant informed us that housekeeping had not turned in any lost items and our room had not been occupied since we left (contrary to what we were told the day before). Luckily my boyfriend had a tracking application on our iPad and we were able to identify that our iPad was located at a residence in East LA. We subsequently called the hotel and provided them the adress and asked them to cross-reference it with the employee who clean our room upon checkout. We did not hear from the hotel for a few more hours. In the meanwhile, we pleaded with the East LA Sheriff's department to attempt to retrieve our iPad. As the Sheriffs escorted my boyfriend to the East LA residence, they sucessfully recovered our iPad from a man who stated that his wife works at a hotel and found the iPad! When we called to notify the hotel of the outcome, they just apologized and said we will take the necessary steps. I was furious and called back and asked that they make a donation to the East LA sheriffs department - at the very least for all our trouble, and they obliged. This is definitely not a first-class establishment......beware!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
PalihouseManagement, Manager at Palihouse Holloway, responded to this review, September 8, 2012
Dear guest,

Thank you for submitting your review. We appreciate your positive remarks regarding the room size and cleanliness. We will thank your staff for a job well done!

We apologize for any misunderstanding regarding check out time. Palihouse check out time is 11 am, which is standard at most all suite hotels. We do clearly note this on all confirmation letters & review it again upon arrival.

That said, we are glad to hear our team afforded you an additional hour and a half complimentary. In order to guarantee a later departure, it is typically best to reserve the night following.

Rest assured our staff are fully trained on customer service excellence. We apologize if you felt it was not at it's best. We are committed to constant training, and will hold our team accountable to ensure we exceed expectations going forward.

We are deeply sorry to hear you left behind your iPad. We know our team was in constant communication with you regarding the steps taken to find it. We take the subject of personal property extremely seriously, so we are happy it all worked out.

Should there be anything further we can do in this situation, please do not hesitate to contact our Rooms Housemaster directly - Gonzalo Quintero, at 323 656 4100.

We wish you all the very best.

Warm regards,

Los Angeles, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2012

I booked the Palihouse holloway for 1 night in August, August 15 to be exact. I went at 11am and requested an early check in but it was not available. Having traveled all the way from Singapore for 28 hours, I was tired and just wanted a bed. They told me it will be available by 130. I said fine, and left. At 12pm, they called me and told me that my room "Would not be available before 3pm". I was really upset because of the jet lag and was falling asleep in my car, parked outside. Anyhow, the room would not be available until 4pm. I was very very unhappy about this.

The front desk guy told me there was only 3 house keepers working that day. Seriously? It's a 4 star place, you really need to get more help. Having extra housekeepers would be a small cost to pay to keep your guests happy. I went up to my room and noticed that the housekeepers were dripping in sweat. For some reason, their uniforms showed armpit stains even.. shows how over worked they were.

Not only was the late check in bad, but they also sneakily put me into another room. I had booked the corner king suite and the room they gave me was nothing like the one in the picture. I heard the front desk man tell the cleaning staff another room number, but when they gave me the keys, it was a totally different room number.

If it were the corner king suite that they put me in, it does NOT come with a huge living space with the brick wall, as pictured on their website. There was a kitchen, with a living room and a crappy gray couch, and a big flatscreen TV that didn't work no matter how I tried to turn it on.

In the bedroom, there is a loud air conditioning vent that blows really LOUD, like an old washing machine as you try to sleep at night. On top of the noises you can hear from the street (police cars zooming by etc), this was just the cherry on top of my cake. They really need to fix this horrible AC. Please look into it.

Last but not least, their bath tub was not designed functionally. There is no way of turning on the water without getting wet. You will have to climb into the tub to turn it on, there's no other way of turning on the water from the side without stepping in, because it is sealed with glass. That way, you could get a shocking splash of cold water whenever you would like to shower. If the management doesn't understand what I mean, please go to the room to find out.

If I were a person debating whether to buy their penthouse unit, I will not after this experience.

On the positive side, the hotel was really spacious and clean. The room service food was excellent. I liked their fried broccoli.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
PalihouseManagement, Manager at Palihouse Holloway, responded to this review, September 4, 2012
Dear guest,

Thank you for your feedback. We are so happy to hear your positive feedback about our food, and the size and cleanliness of the hotel. We work hard to deliver product & service excellence, so it feels great when the hard work is noticed. Thank you again.

We apologize for the experiences that did not exceed your expectation. We pride ourselves on delivering a 3pm check in time regularly. While we do our best to honor all early check in requests, check in time of 3pm is noted on all confirmation letters. If ever there is a rare circumstance that a suite is not ready by 3pm, our staff is fully trained to provide another room that is ready, or compensation is provided. If this was not the case during your arrival, we sincerely apologize. We will be certain to re-train all our staff on this process, and apologize for any inconvenience it caused.

We also understand you reserved a corner king guest suite. We actually delivered a free upgrade to you, which was also a corner king however it was 1,200 square feet instead of only 900 square feet. The unit we provided also had a large private terrace, separated bedroom, and much more fully expansive kitchen. We are sorry to hear you did not like the upgrade, however, we did not hear from you during your stay to offer a room move or to address your concern about the air conditioning unit/bathtub; all of these items have been addressed since your departure. Please note, to avoid this going forward, we encourage all guests to notify our front desk during their stay, so we can ensure we make it the most enjoyable at all times.

We would love another opportunity to have you back at Palihouse. To prove our commitment, we would be willing to offer you a 1 night complimentary stay in a classic guest suite. To make your reservation, please email rooms@palihouse.com or call 323 327 9702.

Sincere regards,

Management

Been to Palihouse Holloway? Share your experiences!