“Short stay at Rodeway Inn” 3 of 5 stars

Rodeway Inn Near Fairplex
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   3223 East Garvey North, West Covina, CA 91791   |
Ranked #6 of 7 Hotels in West Covina
Bronx, N.Y.
“Short stay at Rodeway Inn”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2013

This hotel used to be a Holiday Inn but was taken over by Choice Hotels. It's pleasant enough but could use a touch up. Restaurant is used only for breakfast, which is free for guests but could offer a better variety, especially if you are staying there several days or more. Pool area looked nice but didn't get a chance to use it.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family

Couples
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Mission Viejo, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2012

I checked in here at 11:30 pm. There were only about 10 cars in the parking lot and this should have been my tip off. However, I had made the reservation after the time to cancel so I was stuck with the place. The room was nice and roomy and clean, although the bathroom needed some help. However, considering that there were just not that many guests, why did they give me a room next to the ice machine with the freeway on the other side? The big trucks rumbled and howled down Kellogg Hill all night long. I couldn't get back to sleep when I woke up at 4:00 and had to turn on the TV to drown out the noise. They did have a good free breakfast with eggs, bacon and home fried potatoes.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
West Covina, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2012

Too bad this hotel does not meet quality standards, because in all fairness, it does have some good qualities. The location is very good, the cooked to order breakfast is excellent. The staff, though not supervised, do their very best. There was never a manager on-site so the staff managed as best as they could with this lack of leadership. Our room was deplorable. My children got sick and we couldn't figure out what went wrong during the night. Our 4 yr old developed respiratory distress, our 18 month old developed stuffy nose - neither child slept well. My wife, 7 months pregnant felt nauseaus and tight chested, and I got asthma-like symptoms. When I went outside I felt better. After a while of being back in the room, I felt the tightness in my chest again. After noticing black mold around the air vent, I followed the line of black and it went behind the drapes - the wallpaper was hanging from the amount of dampness behind the paper - as I pulled the wallpaper off, the entire wall behind the drape was covered with black mold and mildew. I immediately removed my family from the room and waited in the parking lot while we phoned our doctor to get advice. We never re-entered the room and explained the extreme health hazard to the desk clerk - she did her best but with a lack of leadership - she really didn't know what to do other than say she would put in a credit for the cost of the room. I explained to her that no guests should be put in that room, I told her to red-flag that room because it is a definite health hazard. Several days later we called the hotel to inquire about the room and told them that this hotel needs to be upgraded for health reasons - not esthetics. I hope guests check out rooms extensively before sleeping in them. Check air ducts, behind drapes and especially in bathrooms where moisture builds. This looked as though the entire wall and dry wall were extremely molded and the mold spores were being circulated by the air vents - thereby getting my family sick. Thankfully we discovered it quickly and we vacated the room and my family, especially my pregnant wife is okay. It really affected our four year old - so please parents be alert.

Steve and Family

Room Tip: Make sure when you enter the room to check for hidden health hazards (air vents, behind drapes, bath...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Los Angeles, California, USA
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2011

This place is dim, grungy, mega-dank, and just ewww! The fact that it was recently demoted to a Rodeway Inn says everything. The demotion is also quite sad for the surrounding area and its businesses, which have taken collective efforts to improve Covina and attempt a status quo that could buoy the thuggish ruggish town's reputation. But the Clarion is a like a crab in a barrel, dragging down all attempts at civilization.

As you pull up, the splotches of mismatched salmon paint are a dead giveaway that class is far from the interests of the hotel's owner(s). The lobby may not be the end of the universe, but the elevator is definitely where the universe ends and hell begins.

As torn back as a Tenderloin street-walker, the elevator jolts and quakes as it creaks up to its called floor. I stepped out onto a set of towels, placed over a wet spot that had long defeated dryness. The inland's arid wind kicked up the scents of a mangy carpet and Marlboros past.

If you've been to Watts' Jordan Downs or New Orleans' Magnolia Projects, you've been to the Clarion/Rodeway Inn in West Covina. (Ok, fine. So I've personally never been to either of those projects of Google-worthy comparison, but neither have you, so just take in my point and let my feet away from the fire already.)

Once in the room, the egg-colored paint on the walls further deepens mistrust. The crumbling ceilings and tatted up furniture don't help either. Buuuuuuut--the beds are actually cozy, perhaps from being broken-in by repeated use. The fact that the sheets didn't make me itch is not just a bonus; it's a miracle.

And I was well-deserving of a blessing at that moment; only a few hours after oral surgery, I was bereft of the energy it would've taken to book and zombie-walk elsewhere. Barring desperation, I would have definitely escaped to cleaner quarters, whether or not it would have meant forfeiting the Choice Hotels free night award I had used to book the room.

The off-brand television was new, at least. And it was excellent for color streaked TV-viewing.

I was given a voucher for free breakfast, but there was no way I was eating ANYthing at this mo-mo of ill repute. The thought alone gives me the heebie-geebies. Ugh!

Room Tip: Choose a room at a different hotel!
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled solo
Mohave Valley, Arizona
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2011

my two sons and i arrived at the hotel around 4 pm on friday sept. 9. i asked if there was a jacuzzi and was told no,and then i was informed that we couldnt use the pool because it was being chlorinated. i asked the desk attendant why they would do that on a friday afternoon , isnt that thier busy day and she didnt have an answer for me. when we got to the room it looked nothing like the picture on the internet and when my son opened the referidgerator there was a container with pizza in it that looked to be at least a week old!! thought i was getting a value but it wasnt . the free breakfast wasnt so free and the full menu they claim wasnt so full ! i will never stay ther again and suggest to evryone else to pay 10 , 20 dollars more for a real hotel!!!

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
clarionvanessa, Director of Sales at Rodeway Inn Near Fairplex, responded to this review, September 12, 2011
Thank you for staying at our Hotel property in the month of September. I apologize for the pooling not being available on Friday. Pool maintenance is normally done during the week but unfortunately the pool required additional chemicals on Friday and had to be closed for safety reasons. Finding the pizza box in the refrigerator in not acceptable and has been reported to our housekeeping manager. Please allow for us to make your next stay with us a pleasant one.
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2011 via mobile

This is actually a Rodeway Inn now. The hotel is old and needs upgrades. They made small upgrades like a flatscreen and newer linens but it doesn't mask up the fact that this place needs work. Plumbing was messed up and toilet barely flushed. Service desk states all rooms are experiencing the plumbing issues. Pool area was nice but old as well. No hot tub. The breakfast was decent as it was a made to order hot breakfast. Staff was excellent so it cushioned the flaws of the hotel. The location is also great. Right off the freeway and close to shopping and restaurants.

• Stayed August 2011
clarionvanessa, Director of Sales at Rodeway Inn Near Fairplex, responded to this review, August 17, 2011
Your feed back is greatly appreciated. I apologize for the inconvenience you expressed regarding our plumbing. Our Maintenance Dept., was informed of the issues and will work towards improving the problem. The hotel is under new management and plans on making major remolding upgrades. Please allow us to make up for the plumbing situation on your next stay.

Been to Rodeway Inn Near Fairplex? Share your experiences!