“Disgrace” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Drumadoon

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Cloughmills
Drumadoon
You added Drumadoon to your Saves list
236 Frosses Road, Cloughmills BT44 9PX, Northern Ireland   |
Ranked #1 of 1 Cloughmills B&B and Inns
“Disgrace”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2013 via mobile

I was at drumadoon today for my birthday meal..I really liked this restaurant and have visited here regularly before and never had a complaint. However today was a completely different story. Went in to find nobody at reception and then eventually got seated, to find a spider and cobwebs and some form of bug on the wall behind us. Then waited half an hour for food when there was only 3 other tables in at the time. When seated a drinks order was not taken and working in a restaurant myself I know that should be the first thing you do. Staff were not unpleasant however they seemed quick to get away..very disappointing and the food was very pricey for all the size of the portion. Unless something changes I will be back!

• Stayed April 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2013 via mobile

Such a pity that the room we stayed in (room 2) smelled mouldy and the ensuite really backed that up. The bed was comfy enough and it was obviously once a nice room. At £70 a night, we were not impressed by the lack of mini toiletries or biscuit for tea/coffee. For a hotel, breakfast was quite late, we had to arrange specially for 8am, not particularly early I thought. Fortunately the breakfast was very good. As we had an early start this morning we had asked for something to be set out in the morning, only cornflakes or Rice Krispies with a banana, apple or orange. I had expected maybe a croissant or something a bit more substantial considering we had paid quite a lot. I was very disappointed and felt let down by the accommodation and do not feel that it was worth the £70. Definitely lacking in attention to detail felt that no one cared about the hotel side of the business.

Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Ballymoney, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2013

We celebrated our daughters wedding at the Drumadoon Hall in August 2012 and everything was a complete success and has left us with amazing memories. From the setting up of the rooms to the closing tracks of the evening entertainment everything fell into place with absolute precision. Nigel, Claire and all the staff involved were so committed to making the wedding day a complete celebration and joyous occasion. The wedding meal served was Roast Beef which proved to be absolutely delicious with ample portions in fact a few guests complained that there was too much food, not a bad complaint! The sun shone and the grounds played an amazing part in producing some lovely photographs. Drumadoon Hall has bags of character and the staff do all that they can to make every visit special.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
N. Ireland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2013 via mobile

Dropped by for a quick lunch, we had soup, sandwiches and a baked potatoes.

Really good soup, warm and wholesome, and the sandwiches were very fresh and crunchy salad. The baked spud was, well, a baked spud.

Judging by what I saw around the other tables, I might recommend the all day fry.. Looked great!!

Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Dublin, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2012

Celebrated my mum's birthday party at Drumadoon and cannot speak highly enough about the place. All I can say is that everything was perfect from start to finish.
We were a relatively big party (around 20) and everything had to be pre-booked by the middle of the previous week. When we arrived we were shown to a lovely living room with a big roaring fire and well worn armchairs, sofas and seats. I think that's part of the charm of the place - it is "oldy worldy" and very quaint. In short order we were shown to our private room which was nicely laid out. All the kids were at one end and the adults at the other. Service was fine with three or four different people waiting on our table at different times. The food was really beautiful. I think since this is off the beaten track (i.e. not in a major city or town) my expectations were low. I was really impressed. The highlight for me was the steak. It really was melt in your mouth stuff with really nice peppercorn sauce. There was quite a variety of different starters, main courses and desserts for our party and there were no complaints from anyone. It seemed everyone was happy with their meal. We brought some left over steak home for our dog so she got a chance to eat well too. The kids had usual fare - burgers, chips, chicken goujons etc. Absolutely no complaints and plates relatively clean at the end. Having a private room was a master stroke as it meant the kids could make a little noise without upsetting other diners. I'd strongly encourage large groups to consider this - just plan ahead. I didn't check the wine list as I was driving but i did have a few sneaky sips of my wife's white wine and it tasted fine. Also two of our kids have egg allergies. Often in restaurants when you question the ingredients the staff can be surly or not know. In both cases were given reassurances from the chef that there were no eggs in the meals we queried. This was very helpful.
There were delays between courses but this actually worked well as it allowed us to relax and talk. There was no pressure on us to leave even though we ate at around 6.30-7 pm on a Saturday evening.
As a final comment, I really thought the food was pretty good value. The set kids meal was 4.95 which was very reasonable. The set menu was 21 (24 for steak) which I thought was fair. My dad picked up the drinks bill so I don't know how much wine was. But I expect it was in keeping with the rest of the price list.
So all in all a brilliant party in a beautiful place making for a most enjoyable evening. I am very grateful to Drumadoon for making it such a memorable night. And I will definitely be back. I want to make this an annual event.
Also I plan to go with my wife and kids next time we're back in County Antrim. I'll post a review of my experience as a smaller group.
In the meantime if you are traveling up the main Ballymena-Ballymoney-Coleraine Road you should call in. It is literally opposite Logan's Fashions at the Cloughmills junction. It is a big store and hard to miss. I don't think you'll be disappointed.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
N Ireland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2012

Called in about 3.30pm ordered baked potato and a soup which was the soup of the day. Over half an hour later it arrived. Soup nothing special not home cooked. Other food looked ok but everyone was sitting for ages waiting. I wouldn't rush back.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
carrickfergus
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2012

Having just had the most enjoyable/tasty/generous/well prepared/well served food for a lomg time all I can say about the previous contributer is "It's lonely out in space in such a timeless flight" I think this reviewer was there at the same time I was and I think I saw him out on the lawn eating the grass.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Drumadoon? Share your experiences!