“Overall average” 3 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersBronze level
Las Vegas, Nevada
“Overall average”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2013

Stayed here for a night in a King Size room.

Pros
-------
-Clean room
-Friendly staff
-Free wifi with good speed - tested at ~7mbps down and 10mbps up

Cons
-------
-Loud! Road noise + people walking in the room above. Very noisy overall.
-Flat screen TV, but no HD channels, and ALL local channels were just a black screen...so I had 10 or so channels, and 4 of them are variants of ESPN.
-Not too much within close walking distance.

Room Tip: Get one on the 2nd floor so you don't have to listen to people walking around above you!
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Steve D, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Walnut Creek, responded to this review, March 25, 2013
Matt D,

Thank you for taking the time to post a response. We always want to hear form our guests.
I am sorry that you experienced noise and television issues. Let me offer my apologies. We did have a National Outage with our service provider Lodgenet, regarding the local channels, that has been resolved and we are in the process of upgrading to HD channels and increasing our overall channel selection.
Thank you for staying with us and providing your valuable feedback.

I hope to see you in the near future.

Steven Dodaro

339 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (90)
Clovis, California, United States
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2013

The hotel looks spacious and nice from the street, and has a great lobby, but once you get to the room floors, you begin feeling the hallway creak under foot, outdated wall coverings and that smell, God knows what that damp and musky smell is.

I did not have an opportunity to notify the front desk about the smell, so the hotel had absolutly no opportunity to explain itself, but it was strong enough of an odor, that anyone would have been able to pick up on it.

The rooms were ok, but the lingering smell just made the stay harsh.

Room Tip: Most parking is down under the hotel and outside. All under hotel parking are compact spaces, so if...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Steve D, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Walnut Creek, responded to this review, March 22, 2013
Dear Holiday Inn Express Walnut Creek Guest;
We are sorry about your recent experience at our hotel. We will share your comments with the staff for resolution. We thank you for your feedback.
Fallbrook, CA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2013

I was here on business. The hotel is in a good location, beds are comfortable, internet is adequate, and there is plenty of underground parking. The rooms are typical HIE rooms, however with four significant drawbacks. As is the case with almost all HIE rooms in the country, the desk chair at the work desk does not rise to a level high enough that anyone under 6' 5" can sit comfortably with elbows even with the desk. Also, I was in a room with adjoining doors and I could hear every word spoken in the room next door to me. The walls are thin. Thirdly, this HIE has done like many others and placed really nice 40 inch plus HD TVs in each room, but without any HD or digital channels, not even HBO. All are in analog and the picture quality, as well as the channel selection, is poor. Third, the windows are old, thin, and let lots of noise inside the room. My only solution as far as being able to work and sleep without being disturbed was to turn on and keep on the fan in the AC unit at all times when I was in the room. The people at the front desk are nice, but if I ever have to travel on business to Walnut Creek again I doubt if I will stay here.

Dear Holiday Inn Express Walnut Creek Guest;
I am sorry we did not meet your expectations, thank you for taking the time to provide us with an honest review. We will share the comments with the proper departments for resolution.
Los Angeles
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013

I've stayed at this property many times, but the last visit was a big disappointment. We checked in and were given a room facing the freeway with lots of traffic noise. When I called the front desk to ask them to change it, I was told that quiet rooms on the other side of the hotel required an upgrade fee. Yep, you have to pay more for a quiet room. That's unacceptable.

The good: Check in is quick and easy - they even offered chocolate squares and bottled water. Beds are comfortable, rooms are clean, shower is good, breakfast is hot and has variety. Internet is free and so is parking. The location is easy to find with easy freeway access.

The bad: Throughout the night we heard the steady hum of traffic, then around 6am, the trash trucks dumping trash and beeping as they backed up, then around 7am the gardener's blower started and continued. They need to do something about sound proofing the rooms.

Room Tip: Expect to pay more for a quiet room away from the traffic noise.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Walnut Creek, responded to this review, July 17, 2013
Dear meritagesue,

Thank you for your feedback. We take our guest comments very seriously and always strive to provide comfortable and friendly accommodations. We appreciate your wonderful comment regarding cleanliness and breakfast.

However, We’re sorry about the noise during your stay., I understand the discomfort this caused you. I do apologize and regret that this impacted your experience at our hotel. We will look into this point. We hope you give us a chance in the future to show you how great our hotel is.

Orlando A.
Case Manager
IHGCare
Reno, Nevada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013 via mobile

I have to admit, I do have to price shop, being recently relegated to the unemployment line for the first time since the late 70's, so when I see great rates at the HI Express in WC, I jump on them! Not flashy, not your typical 5-star place, just clean, comfortable, classy, great people, beautiful garden area with pool, nice indoor lounge area and they don't try and charge for parking or Internet like the Hilton! I'm formally from the area but had spent the last 3.5 years in Albuquerque so when I'd make my semi annual trips back, I'd try to stay here as I have a daughter in WC, my girlfriend works right up the street and my son and family live in Pittsburg. I've recently moved back to Central CA so while it doesn't always require a stay over, when it does, it's nice to know I have a trusted place to stay, such as when I recently stayed when my daughter gave birth to my first grandson! I have already made reservations for Easter weekend for a couple of nights!

Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
Dear Holiday Inn Express Walnut Creek Guest;
I am glad that our hotel worked out perfectly for you. Thank you for sharing your satisfactory experience. we hope to see you soon.
Reno, NV
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2013

Our two nights at the Walnut Creek Holiday Inn Express, recently, were pleasant and comfortable. The check-in staff greeted us with a smile. The room was clean and comfortable as was the lobby and breakfast room. The breakfast was good. Parking was plentiful so if outside parking was full, plenty of underground parking was available. If you are bothered by road noises, get a courtyard view room but, even there, some cars/trucks/motorcycles could be heard. I have only one negative..... I will NOT use a coffee machine that is sitting in a bathroom, on the counter but next to the toilet. I don't understand why it isn't placed someplace else (with microwave/refrig?). To me, it is very unsanitary (airborne droplets). I went to the dining room for my coffee but, other then that, no complaints. We would, probably, stay again when we are in town to visit family.

Room Tip: Courtyard view rooms have slightly less freeway noises.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
stockton
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

We have enjoyed 3 stays at Holiday Inn Express Walnut Creek and each visit has been excellent. The staff is friendly and accommodating--the service staff as well as the front desk receptionists. The room and reception areas are spotless and welcoming. Wonderfully comfortable bed & bedding! The expanded, sparkling fresh continental breakfast caters to every morning appetite. We will continue to stay here as we frequently attend sports events at St Mary's College where our son is part of the athletic department. J.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family

Been to Holiday Inn Express Walnut Creek? Share your experiences!