“Nice Service” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 7 Hotels in Walnut Creek
Foothill Ranch, California
“Nice Service”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2013

Stayed briefly at The Walnut Creek Marriott for a business meeting. Great service all the way around and excellent location for shopping, dining and drinks. The personalized service was great and the GM, Eddie really cared about his clients. Nice Club Level as well. Front desk could not be more helpful in answering questions on anything.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (91)
Marin County, CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2013

It's a nice change to have a quiet room and surroundings. There were no slamming guest room doors, vacuuming or cleaning carts being wheeled about in the early morning. My room (two queen beds) was a good size as was the bathroom. Everything was clean.

Check-in was quick & easy, the staff was friendly. I was here for a company offsite and sometimes it was a bit of a maze to find the smaller breakout rooms or bathrooms which seem to be tucked away. The air conditioning was a bit much in some meeting rooms, but a simple call to the front desk to turn it down by a few degrees did the trick.

Decent location. Easy to find off the freeway. Offsite parking was easy to find and I'm glad there was an option to the $18/day valet parking. A walk to downtown Walnut Creek is anywhere from 20-30 min. Hotel has a shuttle that will take you down there or a cab ride is approximately $13.

Catered meals were o.k

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Rockville
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2013

The service we received at this Marriott was very friendly and welcoming, which was appreciated. The room was quiet and clean, although the fixtures were dated. Everything worked and was clean, however. We did have some trouble with the room temperature, but daytime temps were very high during our stay so maybe the system just couldn't keep up.

Overall, this hotel didn't stand out as being particularly good, or particularly bad.... so I think "average" is a fair rating.

As others have noted, unless you want to pay $18 per night for the valet parking, you have to park about a block away in a dark, unsecured lot under the BART tracks. Getting out of that lot and back to the hotel requires a trip around the block, since the entrance is one-way. It's not very convenient, but it's free.

The hotel charges for WIFI in the rooms, which I find offensive at this price point. It's such a basic, cheap amenity to provide that I'm very disappointed to be charged extra. In this age, it would be like turning on the TV and finding you have to pay to watch broadcast TV. Maybe Marriott is taking cues from the airline industry and charging for every addition beyond a bed?

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
OAKWC M, Front Office Manager at Walnut Creek Marriott, responded to this review, June 14, 2013
Dear Jeffrey R,
Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your recent stay at our hotel, and we appreciate the kind words regarding our staff. We sincerely appreciate your feedback and we’re very sorry about the temperature of your guestroom. It was an exceptionally hot day that day, you are right! Guest comfort and satisfaction are our top priorities and we regret you did not experience this. We will take your comments under consideration as we continually work to improve our guest experience. We hope you will consider staying with us in the future. Please do not hesitate to contact me directly and I will be happy to make your reservations for you.
Best regards, Mike Clarke, Director of Front Office
san jose, ca
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2013

This is a standard Marriott, by that I mean a good, hotel. It is a reliable chain which provides a spacious, comfortable room with good amenities, such as Wi-Fi.

What this Marriott does not provide is adequate, non-valet parking and a quiet, restful pool.

The off premises parking is not only difficult to find, but limited in space. The only real option in this over-congested city is the valet parking offered at $18 at the hotel. Take it and save yourself unnecessary aggravation.

The second shortfall was the pool. While small, it was adequate. What ruined the ambiance is that it is situated right next to an extremely busy highway whose noise level never ceases. I had the pleasure of hearing a tire burst right beyond the wall and wondered if a fragment of the tire was going to scale the wall and land in the pool. Marriott has tried to landscape the pool to make it more amenable, but the noise will soon drive you back inside.

Other than those two drawbacks, it was a very fairly priced room which was clean and well-provisioned.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Dear HughT,
Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your recent stay at our hotel. We sincerely appreciate your feedback and we’re very sorry you were unhappy with some facets your stay. We will take your comments under consideration as we continually work to improve our guest experience. The condition of our suites is very important to us as we aim to provide guests with the best accommodations and service. Parking is at a premium here in Walnut Creek, you are right. Our parking garage was designed to be valet only, with one way driveays and dead ends so self parking in the garage would be a source of frustration. The issue with the noise at the pool from the freeway is being addressed with an upcoming property improvement plan. We are very sorry this led to be a detractor from our hotel. We hope you will consider staying with us in the future and thank you for all your feedback!
Sincerely, Mike Clarke, Director of Front Office
Los Angeles, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2013

I made a reservation online and specifically noted that we are going to arrive after 11:00pm. When we arrived, the management was very confused and didn't know how to accommodate us. After checking us in, the receptionist told us that the next customer will have to stay someplace else. Bad management skills .
The showers in the rooms designed this crazy way that the water is coming out on the floor.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
OAKWC M, Front Office Manager at Walnut Creek Marriott, responded to this review, June 7, 2013
Dear mazcoroni,

Thank you for your review. Its the feedback such as yours that truly makes us better. I am so sorry for the confusion at check in. I can only imagine how frustrating that must have been at such a late hour and presumably a long day of traveling. I am so sorry that you were subject to this at our hotel. I will address this with the staff for review of how we could have done things differently so other late arriving guests do not experience this in the future. Please contact me directly at mike.clarke@marriottwc.com or call me at 925.927.1108 the next time you plan to visit the area and I will be happy to personally handle your reservation for you. Thank you again for taking the time to give us feedback and I look forward to seeing you back at the Walnut Creek Marriott!

Mike Clarke
Director of Front Office
Los Angeles
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2013

I spent a month here for business with a large group, and they did everything to accommodate us to ensure we had a pleasant stay. I am not a breakfast fan, but I have eaten there several times and was a better than average breakfast buffet. Their dinner menu had a variety of selections, and enjoyed their calamari appetizer from time to time. I worked out at the gym quite often, and is one of the best I have been in. There are many cardio machines, options to work your chest, shoulder, back and legs. Plenty of free weights and space to do yoga/pilates. The pool is outdoors. The beds are comfortable and I slept well every night. All the amenities are available as you would expect from your everyday Marriott. The winning difference were the staff. Everyone from the front desk to the managers were very kind and friendly. I always conversed with them when coming back from work, stretching before I head out for an exercise or just hanging around the lobby. They really show appreciation that you are staying there, and would often go out of their way to make sure you got what you need. They have valet service always standing by to shuttle you to wherever you need to go, and pick you up to take you back to the hotel as well. It is a couple of minutes away from the Walnut Creek Bart Station for those of you who are wondering. When I checked out, I received hugs from the front desk. Where else have I gotten service like this? This place is excellent and whenever I go back to Walnut Creek, I will only think of staying here.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Altoona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2013

I recently had a large corporate group of over 100 rooms including banquet facilities and I can not say enough about the professionalism of the kind and friendly staff. From the Managers, Chef, Group Sales, Front Desk to the bellman and wait staff each and every person was a delight. Thank you for everything and we look forward to our next event.

Clean and excellent beds, and food was amazing.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business

Been to Walnut Creek Marriott? Share your experiences!