“Clean, modest, safe.” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #5 of 10 Hotels in Vista
Brooklyn, New York
“Clean, modest, safe.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

This is really an old-fashioned, family road trip motel, and I am really glad we stayed here. The beds, while firmer than I'm used to, were comfortable enough and clean. The bathroom, clean. The rest of the room, clean. The price? Low, low low. Pool was well-sized and clean, no overwhelming chlorine smell, with enough furniture for mom and dad to hang out while the kids splash. There were windows in every area of the room (even a small privacy window in the bath), so there was lots of natural light. AC unit was kind of loud, but on low all night, it helped make sure we weren't awakened by any of our neighbors (they seemed to be mostly small families and business travelers, but I'm very sensitive to sudden sounds, so the AC was a help to me). As with any motel, I recommend not being barefoot but wearing socks or sandals around the room, because, come on, people come right in off the street outside. Our room was nonsmoking and did not smell of smoke, but there was an ashtray outside. The staff were super nice, friendly, and helpful, explained everything and answered any questions we had. Surrounding neighborhood was working class, not "scary" like some people said on the travel sites. For eats, try the dinner just across the parking lot, Sal & Ceci's, or head across the street to the supermarket.

Yes, the Franciscan Inn is dated, but if you just consider it a "classic" from the '70s, you won't be disappointed. If you want a way to save money on an old-fashioned family road trip, close enough to the beaches, wine country, and all the rest of the exciting things SoCal has to offer, stay at the Franciscan (and have some delicious pie at Sal & Ceci's--it's to die for!).

Room Tip: Ask all the questions you want at the desk, make your concerns and wishes clear, and they will be as...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Long Beach, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2013

We stayed here when the San Diego HIghland Games were going on. Other more expensive hotels were booked and it was last minute, so we went here. It was easy check-in. The room was in a timewarp of the 70's, but was super, super clean. Quiet! Will stay here again!

Room Tip: 153 is on the second floor and very clean
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Southern, Calif.
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2013

This is a very affordable place with decent amenities. There is a refrigerator and microwave in each room. There is also free wifi (something you can not get at a Hilton). The beds are not the best. We have stayed there 3 times and they have varied from comfortable to awful. The bed spreads have not been changed in a while as most have holes in them but the room is decent size and clean.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
GLENDALE
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2012

After one night in the room, we canceled the rest of our nights and found a friend to stay with for the rest of our planned trip. The main reason for leaving was lack of adequate security on the doors and windows. For 2 women travelers feeling safe in a hotel room is important to us. The hotel staff did not charge us for the additional 2 nights which we canceled, so we were glad about that. I will say the room was quite large, which is great for a family. However, the luggage rack and the clothes rack were extremely rusted, and should be replaced. The wall had various stains which could be removed. Would not recommend this hotel even for the price!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Hagerstown, Maryland, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2012

made reservations on line using credit card. when we arrived person at front desk asked for cash. did not even give option of using credit card. I told them to use crdit card and they could not get it to work. they were using the old fashion way using paper then running through a machine that kept coming up duplicat transaction. while i was inside my family was sitting in the car and noticed that the ice machine was outside, A person came to get ice and there was none. Another person came to get a soda from soda machine that was sitting next to ice machine and it also did not work. Needless to say i got the heck out of there and went somewhere else. Yhx to my daughter and son in law we got another place to stay. I will never consider this place again or advise anyone to stay at this motel.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2012 via mobile

I have to admit, the first glance I took at this place on Priceline, I skipped to the next motel right away. Something about the really "old fashioned" look of the room just didnt seem appealing to me. Well...running low on daylight and cash and with all the other motel prices out there raising because of Summer, I figured what the hell..and just booked my reservation. When we got there, the location was good and really convenient. The lady at the front desk was really sweet and really enjoyed engaging in small talk..not something I'm used to at these budget motels. The room itself was very clean & spacious. I cant stress to you how important cleanliness is, ESPECIALLY after being bit to death by BED BUGS at motels that I've actually paid MORE for. The bathroom isn't too big, but has been well-kept & is well-stocked. There's also a mini fridge & microwave. No coffee maker, but no biggie. Theres also a pool open til 10pm which is nice for Summer. Not digging the old country western kinda look..it looks like something my Grandma in Oklahoma would like. LoL, but overall, the room is pretty much immaculate and well worth the $49.50 I paid for a single bed (queen) room. They do hold $10 as collateral for the key & remote, but return both and be out by your 11am check out time and you should have no hassle at all. It feels good to be back home in SD after living in LA, and I'm happy to have stumbled upon this motel. I highly recommend it for travelers on a budget such as myself. 2 thumbs up! =)

• Stayed July 2012
Las Vegas, Nevada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2012

This hotel is a very clean, friendly place to stay. It is in a central location. Very quiet. Easy to find. The staff were very friendly, but didn't know much about the area--like good places to eat. The didn't even know about the cafe in their parking lot. We had the queen size bed. The room was a very good size, It had a table and 2 chairs. I was surprised to see a small microwave and small-dorm style refrigerator too. We were just there for a place to sleep---We stayed a Sunday night and then went back at the end of our vacation, on Friday night. There is a Von's right across the street, also a CVS and Walgreens very close. The mattress was a little firmer than I like, but at least it was all clean. The room was a very good price. We didn't use the pool--too cold. There is not a jacuzzi. I would stay here again, if just looking for a clean, inexpensive, quiet place to sleep.

Room Tip: The queen size bed is the only one in the room. If you need 2 beds, then you get 2 double beds. Ther...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Franciscan Inn Motel? Share your experiences!