“Happy with our stay!” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 10 Hotels in Vista
GreenLeadersSilver level
“Happy with our stay!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2014

We enjoyed the breakfast very much! A+. Staff was extraordinaire A+ again! Shuttle to Legoland was very convenient and staff was knowledgeable about great places to eat. The 2 queen room was very large, I wish it had more of a closet though. Wall unit for a/c is irritating and loud but what was weird it had a central a/c control?

We did not have housekeeping come on the second day of stay (didn't feel it was necessary and was wasteful) but we did on the third day. Upon arrival that evening The bathroom floor was very dirty, dirtier than we left it with dirty shoeprints dried to the floor! They didn't wipe the water/soap stains of the counter either. The bathroom tile was stained but looks like elbow grease would be able o remove it and a large oily mark on the wood headboard of one of the queen beds, all of which we did not do. The refridge was VERY noisy to the point we had to unplug it.

Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Wes L, General Manager at Hyatt Place San Diego/Vista-Carlsbad, responded to this review, July 28, 2014
Dear Blgjmd2,

I'm delighted you were happy with your stay with us! I will pass long your compliments regarding your interractions with our staff as they love to hear feedback from our guests! The rooms with two queen beds have 400 square feet!

I do sincerely apologize for the issues you experienced in the room you occupied. I have discussed your comments with our engineering and housekeeping so we can improve for next time (we did replace the refrigerator in that room).

We hope to host you and your family again soon!

Wes Lavender

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
Phoenix, Arizona
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2014

This is a newer property and the rooms are spacious. If your looking for a place that is quite and subdued then this would not work for you. They cater to the Lego Land crowd so there are lots of kids and the hotel is packed. Went down for the breakfast and left for a restaurant as it was swamped.

I tried watching ESPN and the Open only to have it fade out. Called the front desk and they said they would get on it but the next day that channel and a number of others were out of service,

The staff seems well trained and are helpful. The wi fi is strong and quick and the rooms have all the latest in tv, connections and the like.

If you have kids this hotel will work fine as there is a small pool and it is close to Lego Land. We are past that stage and seek out places that are a little less busy.

Room Tip: Ask for a room opposite of the construction.
Green Features: Very Eco oriented. Linens and sheets can be changed daily or will be done every third day.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear usmc63m,

I'm delighted that you escaped the Arizona heat in Carlsbad and chose our hotel to meet your needs. We do have quite a few guests who are families visiting LEGOLAND (as well as other local attractions), and our complimentary a.m. Kitchen Skillet breakfast is very popular, but if you eat before 8:30 the queues are short!

I do apologize for the satellite issue you experienced during your stay. This issue has since been resolved, but I understand how frustrating it can be to have a program interrupted.

We do have very fast Wi-Fi (and LAN) connections at 50 mb/s speeds and you can stream shows from your computer onto the 42" HDTV (e.g. Netflix, Hulu, etc.).

Thank you for your recommendation, and we hope to see you again when you travel to our area!

La Canada Flintridge, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2014

Spent a weekend here for a wedding and this place was loaded to the gills with families. I went down for breakfast Sunday morning and didn't even bother because there was no seating (even if there was the tables looked like a preschool after lunchtime) and a 30+ person line. As for the hotel, if you have ever stayed at a Hyatt place the all pretty much look the same. The couch turns into a soft sleeper which is good for families. The bed was the worst part of the room, very far from a Hyatt grand bed. This one was very stiff and the pillows were not comfortable at all. My partner couldn't sleep very well due to the poor bedding and wound up sleeping on the couch one night. I might give it another shot on a weekday for business but I would need to bring my own pillow.

Room Tip: Stay away from the elevator, children don't know how to keep their voices down.
Green Features: The rooms have power saver lights and shut power off when you take a key card out of the wall socket.
Dear Joseph B,

I'm delighted to hear that you chose our hotel to host you during the wedding you attended recently.

Due to our proximity to LEGOLAND, Carlsbad beaches, San Diego Zoo Safari Park, and myriad other leisure activities, we do have times where our guest mix is predominately families travelling on holiday, but our team do their best to keep up with the demand at breakfast. I sincerely apologize that in your case we didn't meet your needs.

I want to point out that all of our beds are the Hyatt Grand bed that are specified for all Hyatt properties and we do have two pillow options available as well (foam and feather). Please let us know when you are coming down on your next business trip and we will make sure you have options available to you. We don't want you to have to lug around a pillow!

Thanks for noticing our green features! We take a lot of pride in our efforts to reduce carbon emissions and wasted energy!

Thanks again for your business!

Stanford, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2014 via mobile

The rooms are ok, but they have no sound proofing. Avoid rooms by the pool or on the ground floor if you want a quiet stay. We could hear what people where saying outside, their footsteps etc, as if they were in our room. There was also a lot of road construction around the hotel so you have to take some detours to actually get to the hotel.

Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Dear Mawae M,

Thank you for your patronage of our hotel during your recent trip to Carlsbad! I sincerely apologize for the noise issues you encountered from fellow guests. We do have strict quiet hours, and our team should have been more responsive to requests for enforcement. I have discussed your comments with our team so we can improve for the future.

The detours to reach our hotel are very well marked and we recently received the good news that the construction related detours should be completed by mid-August!

We hope to see you again soon!

Culver City, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2014

From the warm welcome and efficient check-in by Devon at the front desk, the clean and very spacious room, I enjoyed staying at the Hyatt Place. I was debating staying here or at the (very expensive) sister property in Carlsbad, but after reading the reviews about hidden charges there, I am glad I chose here. Free parking (instead of $$$ for valet there), good, FREE healthy breakfast. A bit far from Legoland (15 minute drive), but you won't really be going back and forth to the hotel anyway if you're going for one day. Separate seating area with a large couch was very nice. I could not hear any construction noise either. Recommend.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Dear Allie F,

I'm delighted you and your family enjoyed your time with us during your recent trip down from LA (I love your profile photo BTW)!

Thanks for choosing our hotel! We do present an excellent value proposition with our rates being inclusive of such items as internet, breakfast, parking, fitness center ,etc.

Depending on traffic we are about 10 minutes from the front gate of LEGOLAND, but it may take longer with traffic (we are 6 miles away). We do have a complimentary shuttle if you want to leave the driving to us.

I hope to see you again soon!

Knoxville, Tennessee
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2014

I just stayed here on a business trip, and had a similar experience as my recent stay at a Hyatt Place in Atlanta - just average. The room was large, with a fridge and separate desk area to work, and free Wi-Fi. Also, a separate seating area with a large couch was nice. Unfortunately, several things marred the experience. This location had only memory foam pillows, and while the mattress was very comfortable, the pillows were like sleeping on a rock. There were no other pillows in the room. Honestly, the refrigerator smelled like vomit inside, so I did not want to put any drinks in there to absorb the smell. The area outside the fridge had an odor, too. The first morning after arriving, I got in the shower to find the tub very stopped up, so while showering, the water did not drain and I had to stand in several inches of gray water. I did report this to the front desk and they came later to fix this. However, the maid service that day did not appear to include the bathroom, and dirty washcloths were left in the bathroom (these had not been hung up so obviously were to be exchanged). If sharing this room, the sink and dressing area are outside the bathroom, so if one person gets up or goes to bed before the other, they have to turn the light on right in the sleeping area, which I did not care for. There was a problem with the invoice left under the door, and I called the front desk and was told that the person on the other end could not assist me and to call "the man" back in 15 minutes. I called back and the phone rang and rang with no answer. I went down to the desk, and "the man" was unable to make a change to my invoice. The room size is nice, but the stay itself was just average.

Room Tip: There is a lot of long-term construction around the hotel due to a desalination plant being built, s...
Dear BCTE4,

Thank you for choosing our hotel to be your home during your recent business trip to Carlsbad!

I sincerely apologize for the issues you experienced with pillow comfort, the refrigerator in the room you occupied as well as the plumbing and billing matter you referenced. I am delighted that our team were responsive in some of these cases. We do have two different pillow selections (foam and feather), and I apologize these options were not presented to you.

As I have stated in another response, the construction for the pipeline has passed our hotel, and while traffic is indeed diverted, the noise from the actual trenching and installation is now over 1000 feet from our hotel.

We hope to see you again when you return to the area!

California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2014

One thing I really appreciate about Hyatt Place is that all their locations are nearly the same and that consistency is very reassuring. So if you've been to any other and liked it, this one is exactly as you'd expect. The unique thing about this one though is that it has a "green energy saver" feature whereby you use your hotel keycard to "activate" the electricity in the room. The entry light works without it, but the rest depend on your keycard to keep them activated. If you remove the card, the stuff auto turns off in a few min. Also, this location has a 24/7 kitchen where you can place an order with them via phone and they'll call you to come pickup when it's done. 2-3a late night hunger? No problem! Unfortunately, 2 things that are not so great. The hotel is located on a corner on a hill, so the driveway entrances are tricky: one on each corner face. If you miss it, you have to go ALL the way down and U-turn. The other bad thing is that there is pretty heavy construction going on in the intersection right next to the hotel. Took me 15 min in "rush hour" traffic (hotel is near a business park) to get in. Additionally, they're building a desalination plant right nearby I think, so everything is all torn up every which way. Beware congested traffic and noisy construction.

Dear expressoparking,

I'm delighted that you chose our hotel to meet your needs during your recent trip to Carlsbad!

We are only two years old, and have a full suite of high tech and green amenities and features that are intended to reduce our carbon footprint and reduce resource waste. I'm happy to hear the you appreciate the steps we have taken!

We do have a 24/7 café that serves everything from flatbread pizzas, salads, and burgers to full cocktails and Starbucks espresso drinks.

Great news regarding the construction in front of our hotel! The excavation and installation of the pipeline near our hotel is complete and now they are filling in the trench and re-paving! They hope to have the traffic pattern diversion completed by mid-August. We do appreciate our guests patience as this important new facility come on-line. It is first of its kind in the western hemisphere and will generate 50 million gallons of drinking water a day!

We hope to see you again soon!

Wes Lavender

Been to Hyatt Place San Diego/Vista-Carlsbad? Share your experiences!