“nice but noisy” 3 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersSilver level
Stanford, California
“nice but noisy”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2014 via mobile

The rooms are ok, but they have no sound proofing. Avoid rooms by the pool or on the ground floor if you want a quiet stay. We could hear what people where saying outside, their footsteps etc, as if they were in our room. There was also a lot of road construction around the hotel so you have to take some detours to actually get to the hotel.

Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Wes L, General Manager at Hyatt Place San Diego/Vista-Carlsbad, responded to this review, July 28, 2014
Dear Mawae M,

Thank you for your patronage of our hotel during your recent trip to Carlsbad! I sincerely apologize for the noise issues you encountered from fellow guests. We do have strict quiet hours, and our team should have been more responsive to requests for enforcement. I have discussed your comments with our team so we can improve for the future.

The detours to reach our hotel are very well marked and we recently received the good news that the construction related detours should be completed by mid-August!

Wes Lavender

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
Culver City, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2014

From the warm welcome and efficient check-in by Devon at the front desk, the clean and very spacious room, I enjoyed staying at the Hyatt Place. I was debating staying here or at the (very expensive) sister property in Carlsbad, but after reading the reviews about hidden charges there, I am glad I chose here. Free parking (instead of $$$ for valet there), good, FREE healthy breakfast. A bit far from Legoland (15 minute drive), but you won't really be going back and forth to the hotel anyway if you're going for one day. Separate seating area with a large couch was very nice. I could not hear any construction noise either. Recommend.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Dear Allie F,

I'm delighted you and your family enjoyed your time with us during your recent trip down from LA (I love your profile photo BTW)!

Thanks for choosing our hotel! We do present an excellent value proposition with our rates being inclusive of such items as internet, breakfast, parking, fitness center ,etc.

Depending on traffic we are about 10 minutes from the front gate of LEGOLAND, but it may take longer with traffic (we are 6 miles away). We do have a complimentary shuttle if you want to leave the driving to us.

I hope to see you again soon!

Knoxville, Tennessee
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2014

I just stayed here on a business trip, and had a similar experience as my recent stay at a Hyatt Place in Atlanta - just average. The room was large, with a fridge and separate desk area to work, and free Wi-Fi. Also, a separate seating area with a large couch was nice. Unfortunately, several things marred the experience. This location had only memory foam pillows, and while the mattress was very comfortable, the pillows were like sleeping on a rock. There were no other pillows in the room. Honestly, the refrigerator smelled like vomit inside, so I did not want to put any drinks in there to absorb the smell. The area outside the fridge had an odor, too. The first morning after arriving, I got in the shower to find the tub very stopped up, so while showering, the water did not drain and I had to stand in several inches of gray water. I did report this to the front desk and they came later to fix this. However, the maid service that day did not appear to include the bathroom, and dirty washcloths were left in the bathroom (these had not been hung up so obviously were to be exchanged). If sharing this room, the sink and dressing area are outside the bathroom, so if one person gets up or goes to bed before the other, they have to turn the light on right in the sleeping area, which I did not care for. There was a problem with the invoice left under the door, and I called the front desk and was told that the person on the other end could not assist me and to call "the man" back in 15 minutes. I called back and the phone rang and rang with no answer. I went down to the desk, and "the man" was unable to make a change to my invoice. The room size is nice, but the stay itself was just average.

Room Tip: There is a lot of long-term construction around the hotel due to a desalination plant being built, s...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
Dear BCTE4,

Thank you for choosing our hotel to be your home during your recent business trip to Carlsbad!

I sincerely apologize for the issues you experienced with pillow comfort, the refrigerator in the room you occupied as well as the plumbing and billing matter you referenced. I am delighted that our team were responsive in some of these cases. We do have two different pillow selections (foam and feather), and I apologize these options were not presented to you.

As I have stated in another response, the construction for the pipeline has passed our hotel, and while traffic is indeed diverted, the noise from the actual trenching and installation is now over 1000 feet from our hotel.

We hope to see you again when you return to the area!

California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2014

One thing I really appreciate about Hyatt Place is that all their locations are nearly the same and that consistency is very reassuring. So if you've been to any other and liked it, this one is exactly as you'd expect. The unique thing about this one though is that it has a "green energy saver" feature whereby you use your hotel keycard to "activate" the electricity in the room. The entry light works without it, but the rest depend on your keycard to keep them activated. If you remove the card, the stuff auto turns off in a few min. Also, this location has a 24/7 kitchen where you can place an order with them via phone and they'll call you to come pickup when it's done. 2-3a late night hunger? No problem! Unfortunately, 2 things that are not so great. The hotel is located on a corner on a hill, so the driveway entrances are tricky: one on each corner face. If you miss it, you have to go ALL the way down and U-turn. The other bad thing is that there is pretty heavy construction going on in the intersection right next to the hotel. Took me 15 min in "rush hour" traffic (hotel is near a business park) to get in. Additionally, they're building a desalination plant right nearby I think, so everything is all torn up every which way. Beware congested traffic and noisy construction.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
Dear expressoparking,

I'm delighted that you chose our hotel to meet your needs during your recent trip to Carlsbad!

We are only two years old, and have a full suite of high tech and green amenities and features that are intended to reduce our carbon footprint and reduce resource waste. I'm happy to hear the you appreciate the steps we have taken!

We do have a 24/7 café that serves everything from flatbread pizzas, salads, and burgers to full cocktails and Starbucks espresso drinks.

Great news regarding the construction in front of our hotel! The excavation and installation of the pipeline near our hotel is complete and now they are filling in the trench and re-paving! They hope to have the traffic pattern diversion completed by mid-August. We do appreciate our guests patience as this important new facility come on-line. It is first of its kind in the western hemisphere and will generate 50 million gallons of drinking water a day!

Castle Pines, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2014

Clean rooms, outstanding staff, awesome breakfast! Free transportation to Legoland. Nice pool. One of the best places I have stayed! A great place to stay when visiting Legoland California. The breakfast included lots of fruit, bagels, French toast, croissant sandwiches, cereal, muffins and much more.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Wes L, General Manager at Hyatt Place San Diego/Vista-Carlsbad, responded to this review, July 10, 2014
Dear Mirko S,

We are delighted you chose our hotel to host you and your family during your recent trip to LEGOLAND! I'm happy to hear that you availed yourself of our complimentary transportation to and from the park and that the breakfast selections met your needs!

Thank you for your patronage and your recommendations!

Glasgow, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2014

Just returned from holiday in USA with the last 8 nights spent at the Hyatt Place San Diego/Vista-Carlsbad. Very modern hotel with good facilities and good FREE! parking. We had a twin Queen suite with Queen size sofa bed for two adults and two teenagers - cant fault the room - spotless with good shower, TV, fridge and coffee maker. Air conditioning unit was very good - window also opened with mesh screen to stop bugs getting in. Sofa bed when not in use provided great large comfy seating area. Internet access again was FREE! and very quick and we had three devices working in room and never buffered!
Buffet style breakfast was great with plenty of choice and a good start to the day - could be busy but the line was orderly and moved quick. Food constantly replenished and tables cleaned constantly.
We used it as a base for San Diego attractions - involved a wee bit of driving but excellent access to freeways etc and when using coastal routes allowed you to visit beautiful beaches and piers. Local retail shopping at Carlsbad Premium Retail outlet was very close and we hit the 4th of July sales - wow prices were unbelievable and we took full advantage.
Lots of restaurants, fast food, petrol stations and a huge Target supermarket that sells everything you could need to keep you going. Staff were also nice and friendly and willing to assist with questions.
A previous reviewer mentioned construction work ongoing outside and road detour. Yes there were roadworks but they wont last for ever and hardly the hotels fault - detour took about two minutes - hardly the end of the world. Would recommend and wouldn't hesitate to visit again.
Only recommendation I would make to hotel would be the installation of room safes as it was a pain carrying valuables everywhere. Thank you for great stay.

Room Tip: We had room 423 on top floor - close to elevators and overlooked pool. Never heard lifts and pool cl...
Green Features: Room used room card to operate electrics - stopped you leaving them on when you went out - good idea. Linen on beds changed on beds as you requested as were towels (if left on floor) all done to cut down unnecessary laundry work.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Wes L, General Manager at Hyatt Place San Diego/Vista-Carlsbad, responded to this review, July 7, 2014
Dear Fazer182,

Thanks for staying with us during your trip from Glasgow! I am delighted you chose to visit San Diego and make us your base of operations. We are very conveniently located, and while we are an hour drive from attractions like the San Diego Zoo, Sea World and Downtown San Diego, we are very close to the Northern San Diego options such as LEGOLAND, beaches, San Diego Zoo Safari Park and of course the Carlsbad Factory Stores!

The construction in front of our hotel is progressing quickly and we expect the detours to be completed by August!

Thank you for your recommendation! We do have safety deposit boxes located at the Gallery Host stand and these are available at no charge.

Travel safe out there!

Lincoln, Nebraska
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2014

This is an awesome hotel. The check in process is smooth. Facility is fairly new and is nicely designed. They have convenient parking. We like their breakfast as well. Overall this was a very good value for what we paid. We would definitely stay again.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Wes L, General Manager at Hyatt Place San Diego/Vista-Carlsbad, responded to this review, July 4, 2014
Dear PrajnaSun,

I'm delighted that you selected our hotel to meet your needs during your recent trip to Carlsbad from Nebraska!

I agree that our value proposition as a "select service" hotel is the best in our market. We have all the trappings and amenities of larger hotels but we bundle the services like parking, internet, and breakfast into one price. I was approached by a guest this morning who pointed out that our complimentary breakfast saved his family over $50 today!

Thank you for your recommendation and business, and I hope that we can host you again soon!

Wes Lavender

Been to Hyatt Place San Diego/Vista-Carlsbad? Share your experiences!