“Cal A Vie excellence” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Cal-A-Vie Spa and Resort

Cal-A-Vie Spa and Resort
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Vista
Cal-A-Vie Spa and Resort
You added Cal-A-Vie Spa and Resort to your Saves list
2249 Somerset Rd., Vista, CA 92084   |
Pasadena, CA
“Cal A Vie excellence”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2012

Not knowing what to expect, we arrived on a Thursday and were treated to one of the most satisfying health spa experiences ever. The classes, the staff, the scheduling, all were first rate. The food, however, so far exceeded our expectations that superlatives are not enough. If you are looking for a spa to start, restart, or to enhance your physical fitness this it THE place.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2011

This was my 3rd year visiting. It is a perfect place to either restart a healthy lifestyle, maintain it or simply test the waters of different exercise regimes. Early morning hikes and walks for those who wish and excellent instructors. Exercise classess are mostly in the morning leaving the afternoon free for spa treatments and relaxation. The facilities are second to none and each year they make more improvements. Accommodations are decorated in French county and immaculate. Rooms are freshened several times a day but you are never disturbed. The spa treatments are numerous and the staff experts in their field. The cuisine is outstanding whether on a calorie restricted diet or not. The friendship that is developed over the stay with other guests is delightful. Cal a Vie is strictly for resident guests only so you feel like a pampered house guest. I am already booked to return.

Room Tip: the canyon hill side of the property is quieter
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled solo
Seattle, Washington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2011

Cal-a-Vie is a very special place. Just ask anyone you run into while there. It is chock full of luxury, activities, experts and spa treatments. It costs more than my first new car, and I'm not "that" old. But, it is somehow worth every penny to spend a few days getting a tune-up, working out, eating delicious yet somehow low-calorie food, and receiving lovely spa treatments. Unfortunately, it is also easy to quickly become spoiled there -- perhaps too much. Then, its back to the real world where not everyone takes care of me. Oh well -- I know I'll be craving a return trip soon.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled solo
southern california
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2010

The service and attention to detail here is unrivaled at any other spa that I have been to. It is beyond beautiful here and reminds me of being in Provence.
The classes, the food, the spa services and the rooms are amazing.

This will be a twice yearly trip for me!

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with family
Bellingham, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2010

I have visited so many spas over the years, some of them many times over. I am now ruined to even think of visiting any other than Cal-a-vie. This includes the Golden Door- it can't even touch Cal-a-vie- sorry. I couldn't find anything to complain about if I tried. They bend over backwards to make your visit specific to your needs and I've witnessed them accommodating even the most ridiculous of requests. I went alone and quickly met other wonderful gals- one of which I've remained very close friends with. If the cost seems steep to you, it's only because you've not yet experienced the true bliss of a stay at Cal-a-vie. I'd be surprised if heaven could measure up against it....I am clearly a serious devotee.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled solo
Greenwich, CT
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2009

I did the 4 nights package at the hotel in March 09. This is a perfect place to come by yourself and relax if that is what you are looking for. Even though they concentrate on fitness, I was able to take mind/body classes and just chill.

The only complaint I have is when I first arrived at the hotel I was put in the room that was down the hill from everything, even though I specified during my reservation that I needed to be close (hard time walking). The hotel was almost full, but they were able to relocate me to room #1 which was very close to the spa and the restaurant. The room was very nice (no TV!), quite small, but you don't spend much time there anyways. You get workout clothes (pants, shorts, t-shirts), but they are def not for my taste. I would suggest to bring your own clothes!

Each day started with a hike at 6 AM, but I just slept in. They had tons of different classes in the morning, so there is a big variety of classes (yoga, pilates, tai chi). Spa treatments started at 11 AM. I loved all my treatments, especially cranio sacral. They have a salt water pool, but I didn't get to go, it was too far for me to walk.

The food was top notch! I was put on 1500 calorie plan (maintenance) and was a little hungry at night. I brought my own protein bars since i get hypoglycemic so that was perfect. They had apples to snack on, so that was good too. I also had a lot of food restrictions (no gluten, chocolate, nuts, sugar) and they were able to accommodate me with no problem. All the food was super delicious!

Cell phone reception is pretty bad at the hotel. You only get some good reception on the bridge on the way to the fitness pavilion. They had one computer if you needed to access the internet. There was also TV in the same room.

There were tons of repeated guests (50%). I am definitely planning to come back as I had a great time!

• Stayed March 2009, traveled solo
Southern California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2009

I am a return guest to Cal-a-Vie and will return again. I have been with my spouse and an individual traveler and this time with friends. All visits were wonderful and I felt comfortable and at ease in all three situations.
The first visit was a romantic week with my husband that was a kickstart to a healthy lifestyle TOGETHER. The setting is beautiful and the staff was very accommodating to make our visit special. We enjoyed the morning hikes, couple massages, and a quiet dinner in our room.
When I visited alone, I was not alone for long. I quickly found others to workout with, relax with, bond with, and become friends. Plus, when I wanted to have a little alone time, there were many spots to enjoy the beauty and peace of the setting (balcony of my room, labyrinth, poolside, gazebo by the pond, etc).
Best of all, was my most recent visit with friends. What better way to de-stress, than to enjoy this magnificent spa with your girlfriends. We had a great time interacting with the fitness staff who were always there to assist and answer questions as we learned BOSU, Pilates apparatus, and giggled our way through Latin Dance. We were pampered with quality treatments including new ones for me like the bamboo massage and the coffee scrub. We learned healthy eating, as well as meal planning for our families including the challenge of young children.
I have visited a few other destination spas, but my preference is to return to Cal-a-Vie. The facilities keep getting better, the variety of activities and treatments is growing, the staff is very attentive, the food is delicious and the setting very peaceful.

• Stayed October 2008, traveled with friends

Been to Cal-A-Vie Spa and Resort? Share your experiences!