“Good location, some irritants...” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Marriott Visalia

You added Marriott Visalia to your Saves list
Marriott Visalia
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   300 South Court, Visalia, CA 93291 (Formerly Presidian)   |
Hotel deals
Hotel packages
Special Offer
Stay 2+ Nights & Save 15%
Ranked #6 of 14 Hotels in Visalia
San Marcos, California
“Good location, some irritants...”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2009

Stayed here two nights over a weekend in May to attend a Rawhide (baseball) game.

The good: pool was clean (though apparently unheated) & a hit with the family, room was nice & clean and staff was friendly & efficient. This hotel is also quite close to Main Street, which, while we did not take advantage, appears to be quite nice.

The irritants: (1) there's a US Post Office across the street. Starting at (I swear) 5am on Saturday morning, the postal trucks started backing into the facility with backup alarms blaring - this was fairly nonstop until we left the room, around 9am. (2) Saturday night was Prom night at the attached convention center and there was *zero* parking in the hotel lot (which is shared with the (CC). I was directed to the top (5th) floor of the garage across the street for overnight parking.

Hotel is recommended with those caveats.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
  • Polish first
Bangkok
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2009

Did not make a prior booking but on the way to visiting the nearby National Parks we walked in and asked about room availability on the basis of reviews on TA. The Front Desk staff were very courteous and we took two rooms for two nights. The property is in good shape, the rooms a decent size with comfortable mattresses and bedding/pillows. The bathrooms were spotlessly clean too. No minibar/fridge or wall-safe though.

The main restaurant serves an excellent breakfast which we thought was good value. We had one evening meal there which, on the other hand, was disappointing. However, the service staff were very good and maintained their cheerfullness and friendly banter even when things got a little busy.

The hotel is very conveniently situated - just off I198 (but could not detect any noise from the highway), and a 2 minute walk to Main Street where there are several small restaurants and bars, as well as the usual selection of take-aways and coffee places. Plenty of parking in the hotel premises.

Would happily stay there again if the need arose.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with family
Riverside, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2009

We just returned from Visalia and had a fantastic stay at the Marriott there. It is very convienent to the highway. It is also right next door to the convention center. The main street of Visalia with restaurants and shops, coffee houses is just one block away. The location of this hotel is excellent.

We had a very updated, clean room and comfy bed. It was so comfortable that my husband called back to the hotel to ask what mattress they use so we can buy one.

The reason for our stay was to see a concert at a place in Exeter. The Orange Blossom is a concert hall, fantastic dinner and great performers. We saw a guitarist named Tommy Emmanuel who is phenominal and perfoms worldwide. The venue is soooo intimate and personal. WE Will return....we traveled about 300 miles one way for this and enjoyed it.

• Liked — convienent - and clean
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
San Diego, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2008

Our check-in was quick, easy and pleasant. Yordi E., the hotel manager, was expecting us and had prepared a very big surprise. Stepping out from behind the counter she said “We are upgrading you to the Presidential Suite!” She thanked me for being a loyal Marriott Rewards customer and with a warm handshake provided both our room keys and a quick orientation to the available services (restaurant, bar and spa). With a big smile I thanked her and we stepped over to the elevator riding up to the top floor.

The President Suite’s double doors open into a 500 sq. ft. room. This large space is arranged into separate seating and dining areas. The far wall is filled with double balcony doors that open up the space and provide easterly views towards the Sierra Nevada Mountains and the Sequoia National Park. Left of the entry is a bar service counter with a guest half-bath to the right. My uploaded pictures show the room, furniture and views.
The second room, 300 sq. ft., contains the bedroom area, a third balcony and access to the master bath. The entire suite is beautifully furnished with hardwood floors and simple elegant decorations.

Along with many others in the United States and around the world we celebrated the historic election on November 4th. Our Presidential Suite upgrade offered a special opportunity for a second celebration. I called room service and ordered Moet & Chandon White Star Champagne along with a cheese tray. It arrived quickly and we lifted our glasses with a prayer of celebration and thanks for our new young President elect, his staff and his family. As part of the three million Obama volunteers we are truly grateful and will remain engaged to do our part.

The Presidential Suite accommodations offered a unique opportunity for my wife and I to relax. It has two big screen TVs and very comfortable seating. So we picked a movie to watch, Hamlet 2, and settled in to enjoy the champagne and cheese. The movie was 3 stars out of 5, the White Star champagne 5 of 5 and the cheese tray, excellent.

Around 6pm we heard church chimes and stepped out onto the balcony. The First Presbyterian Church, two blocks away from our downtown location, was playing a lovely and familiar hymn. We stood on the balcony, enjoyed the view and let the chimes lift our Sunday evening spirits.

The Visalia Marriott Hotel sits near the middle of the San Joaquin Valley, California’s agricultural heart, 190 miles north of LA and 230 miles southeast of San Francisco. Visalia is a city of about 120,000 people with a metropolitan population of over 400,000.

Coming in from the balcony I ordered sandwiches and two desserts to sample. My choice was the Marriott burger and my wife had the “Down Town” club. Both came with fries. The desserts were “Sweet Dream” cheesecake and the “Orange Chocolate Bourbon” cake. It was all delicious.

The bath was divided into three separate areas, vanity, toilet and bath area which contained a glass enclosed shower and a separate deep oval tub spa. Aromatherapy products from Bath and Body Works were generously provided throughout the master bath and separate guest restroom.

The elegant king bed and bedding was simply spectacular. We enjoyed an especially luxurious and restful night. We recommend you find to time to visit the Visalia Marriott, asked for the Presidential Suite and enjoy a very relaxing experience.

• Liked — Excellent service
  • Disliked — Downtown location
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2008

Stayed here for a single night with my wife on my way to Giant Sequoia National Park. I arrived late, checked in very easily. There was lots of parking spare outside and the hotel was easy to find.

Room was just as I'd expect for a Marriott, nice bed and bathroom. The view from my room on the 7th floor was nothing special, but, you could see the city, as I suspect that there isn't that much to see in Visalia. We left early the next day after breakfast in the pleasant enough executive lounge (small but it wasn't busy). I didn't use any other facilities during my time there.

However, as a Marriott Platinum member I had a few minor issues with service on this very short stay which I didn't expect (i.e. no room upgrade despite the hotel clearly not being busy, and no access to the executive lounge without having to specifically return to reception to get my room key enabled) - as such I can appreciate the issues with service others might have had. But, the staff were polite enough when I saw them.

• Liked — Simple, easy Marriott
  • Disliked — A few service problems that I wouldn't normally expect at a Marriott
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Welwyn Garden City
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2008

We arrived later than we expected at this stop of our trip but we quickly found the hotel. It was just what we needed after a very long drive. Nice open welcoming foyer, efficient staff and a large clean room. There was a problem with the hair dryer in the room which was rectified within 10-15 mins, and these same staff gave us good info about places to eat within walking distance. (“Little Italy” does the best seafood pasta ever!) We asked for a quiet room which is exactly what we got although that did come at the expense of any sort of view from the window but as a one night stop over it was fine. The pool area was very nice and was open for a lot longer than other pools we came across on our trip.

• Liked — It was just idael for what we wanted
  • Disliked — View from room
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled as a couple
San Francisco, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2008

This is the first review that I have ever written for a hotel, but I felt it necessary to do so regarding the Marriott Visalia. In a few previous reviews, it was mentioned how the Hotel Staff seemed to be rude and didn't care. What stood out the most for me was the customer service, particularly at the Front Desk. Everyone I had contact with during my entire stay was very kind and professional from the Bellman, to the Front Desk Staff, the Room-Service wait staff, the maids, etc. I couldn't have been more pleased with their level of courtesy and service!

In particular I would like to acknowledge, Monica, who was truly extraordinary from start to finish! I can't remember when I have ever had better customer relations (in any industry!). From the moment that I was nearing the Front Desk, I felt the warmth of her greeting and welcome. I was very tired after a long drive, but the check-in was more than just a routine experience -- it was most enjoyable (almost like I was talking with a new friend!).

After I had returned later to the hotel (I was working a conference at another hotel, but chose instead to stay at the Marriott), Monica even greeted me as I was going towards the elevators. I became very unwell later on, so I went down to the Front Desk to ask if there was a drugstore nearby. Monica took the extra time not only to tell me of a nearby Walgreens, but she drew a perfect little map which included all of the street names. She even highlighted the streets with directional arrows, as the majority of the roads around the hotel are one-way streets. It was the best set of directions that I have ever received! All I had to do was turn the map she made for me, as I made each turn onto a new road. I arrived at Walgreens and returned back to the hotel so very easily! As I walked back into the lobby, Monica asked if I found Walgreens okay. I gave her the thumbs up and said in reply: "you're better than Mapquest!" I was very touched that she took that extra time and effort to make sure that I got to the needed destination as easily as possible. (I would have been totally lost without her help and the map!). I didn’t sense nor feel even the slightest hesitation in her – she was more than happy to be of service and aid (and she definitely was in a very big way!).

I found everything about the hotel very nice and most suitable for my needs. When I was feeling much better later that night, I ordered dinner from Room Service. I think it was about the best steak that I have ever had and was cooked to perfection! All of the meal was very good and nothing was cold (which can often happen with room service). As far as the prices for Room- Service, I found it comparable and even better than many hotels that I’ve stayed at. I also ordered breakfast the next day through Room-Service and it was good -- the water for hot tea was actually hot. Each time, the Servers were very friendly and most courteous.

Anytime that I have business down in that area, Marriott Visalia will always be my number one choice for lodging!

• Liked — Great Customer Service!
  • Disliked — No complaints whatsoever!
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Also consider these accommodations in or near Visalia
Hampton Inn Visalia
Lamp Liter Inn
Lamp Liter Inn
#5 of 14 in Visalia
4.0 of 5 stars 298 reviews

Been to Marriott Visalia? Share your experiences!