“Was ok - but I expected a bit more” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Marriott Visalia

Save Saved
You added Marriott Visalia to your Saves list
Marriott Visalia
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   300 South Court, Visalia, CA 93291 (Formerly Presidian)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Free Parking
Ranked #5 of 14 hotels in Visalia
London, United Kingdom
“Was ok - but I expected a bit more”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2008

Stayed here for a single night with my wife on my way to Giant Sequoia National Park. I arrived late, checked in very easily. There was lots of parking spare outside and the hotel was easy to find.

Room was just as I'd expect for a Marriott, nice bed and bathroom. The view from my room on the 7th floor was nothing special, but, you could see the city, as I suspect that there isn't that much to see in Visalia. We left early the next day after breakfast in the pleasant enough executive lounge (small but it wasn't busy). I didn't use any other facilities during my time there.

However, as a Marriott Platinum member I had a few minor issues with service on this very short stay which I didn't expect (i.e. no room upgrade despite the hotel clearly not being busy, and no access to the executive lounge without having to specifically return to reception to get my room key enabled) - as such I can appreciate the issues with service others might have had. But, the staff were polite enough when I saw them.

• Liked — Simple, easy Marriott
  • Disliked — A few service problems that I wouldn't normally expect at a Marriott
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

177 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
Welwyn Garden City
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2008

We arrived later than we expected at this stop of our trip but we quickly found the hotel. It was just what we needed after a very long drive. Nice open welcoming foyer, efficient staff and a large clean room. There was a problem with the hair dryer in the room which was rectified within 10-15 mins, and these same staff gave us good info about places to eat within walking distance. (“Little Italy” does the best seafood pasta ever!) We asked for a quiet room which is exactly what we got although that did come at the expense of any sort of view from the window but as a one night stop over it was fine. The pool area was very nice and was open for a lot longer than other pools we came across on our trip.

• Liked — It was just idael for what we wanted
  • Disliked — View from room
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
San Francisco, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2008

This is the first review that I have ever written for a hotel, but I felt it necessary to do so regarding the Marriott Visalia. In a few previous reviews, it was mentioned how the Hotel Staff seemed to be rude and didn't care. What stood out the most for me was the customer service, particularly at the Front Desk. Everyone I had contact with during my entire stay was very kind and professional from the Bellman, to the Front Desk Staff, the Room-Service wait staff, the maids, etc. I couldn't have been more pleased with their level of courtesy and service!

In particular I would like to acknowledge, Monica, who was truly extraordinary from start to finish! I can't remember when I have ever had better customer relations (in any industry!). From the moment that I was nearing the Front Desk, I felt the warmth of her greeting and welcome. I was very tired after a long drive, but the check-in was more than just a routine experience -- it was most enjoyable (almost like I was talking with a new friend!).

After I had returned later to the hotel (I was working a conference at another hotel, but chose instead to stay at the Marriott), Monica even greeted me as I was going towards the elevators. I became very unwell later on, so I went down to the Front Desk to ask if there was a drugstore nearby. Monica took the extra time not only to tell me of a nearby Walgreens, but she drew a perfect little map which included all of the street names. She even highlighted the streets with directional arrows, as the majority of the roads around the hotel are one-way streets. It was the best set of directions that I have ever received! All I had to do was turn the map she made for me, as I made each turn onto a new road. I arrived at Walgreens and returned back to the hotel so very easily! As I walked back into the lobby, Monica asked if I found Walgreens okay. I gave her the thumbs up and said in reply: "you're better than Mapquest!" I was very touched that she took that extra time and effort to make sure that I got to the needed destination as easily as possible. (I would have been totally lost without her help and the map!). I didn’t sense nor feel even the slightest hesitation in her – she was more than happy to be of service and aid (and she definitely was in a very big way!).

I found everything about the hotel very nice and most suitable for my needs. When I was feeling much better later that night, I ordered dinner from Room Service. I think it was about the best steak that I have ever had and was cooked to perfection! All of the meal was very good and nothing was cold (which can often happen with room service). As far as the prices for Room- Service, I found it comparable and even better than many hotels that I’ve stayed at. I also ordered breakfast the next day through Room-Service and it was good -- the water for hot tea was actually hot. Each time, the Servers were very friendly and most courteous.

Anytime that I have business down in that area, Marriott Visalia will always be my number one choice for lodging!

• Liked — Great Customer Service!
  • Disliked — No complaints whatsoever!
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Southern California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2008

My husband and I decided to spend the night at Marriott in Visalia while we were travelling to Sequoia National park. I recommend staying there if you can't find a room inside the parks. The room was very big, nice, and very clean, as quite standard for Marriott. We booked it by Orbitz and we got a VISA 25$ gift card, as we paid 25$ less the original price.
Visalia doesn't have a lot of attractions, but we spent a pleasant Saturday night there, and, after dinner in a restaurant nearby, we ended up in a local coffee house that has live music performed by a talented young local singer. The hotel has a perfect location in downtown Visalia, just one block from the main street, full of restaurants and shops. My only complain is the rudeness of the Marriott staff. I was waiting for an important call but they never transferred it to my room, and, even if the person who called me left a message, I never received it. They actually said I wasn't there. And told me nobody called for me. The next morning we decided to have breakfast downstairs in the hotel. It was quite clear we were hosts of the hotel (downtown restaurants and coffee houses are just one block away, turists have no need to go there unless hosts of the hotel), but they treated us unfriendly. The breakfast room was big and most of the tables were empty. We chose one nice table near other people (the table we chose was prepared for 2). But the waitress rudely moved us to a tiny table at the entrance of the restaurant, too small for two, even if almost all the tables were empty. The menu was so expensive too. Of course we left, ending up at Starbucks. If you choose Marriott, just enjoy your nice room, buy water bottles outside (another super expensive thing) and eat in one of the downtown restaurant!

• Liked — Very big, clean, and nice room
  • Disliked — staff
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Chicago
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2008

We chose to stay at this hotel when visiting the Sequoia National Forest. The other hotels that are closer are of a motel quality or more rustic. This hotel is about 1 hr. drive from the entrance and a nice value for a nice hotel. Many restaurant chains a short drive for your meals.

• Liked — Nice option when visiting the Sequoia National forest
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Orlando, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2008

We booked this property because we wanted a nice hotel as a good vantage point to Sequoia National Park. The hotel is about an hour from the park.

The hotel itself seems to be popular with conferences. There were a number of people with conference badges on - but it wasn't so many that it was a problem.

Check in was easy, room was new and clean and reasonably sized. A/C was adequate but it was still a little warm in the room.

When we checked in, we asked for extra pillows. They never delivered them, so I called the front desk. The phone rang and rang and no one picked up. I called back later and they agreed to send some up. The pillows never showed. Took me three calls to get the pillows and some extra towels.

It's close to downtown Visalia (pronounced V-eye-zayl-ya) which has a number of local restaurants.

When we went to order room service, our menu was missing 3 pages. We called downstairs - again with little luck. Took a number of calls and they finally brought us a xerox-copy of the missing page(s). Once we received the food, it was actually pretty good.

It had a newer bathroom that was clean. Internet service was available for a fee. Nice large LCD TV screen as well. Parking was free.

So overall, a very nice property, but the front desk service was sort of poor.

• Stayed July 2008, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Greenville, South Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2008

I've stayed in 3-4 hotels in Visalia, and the Marriott was definitely the best. That's not to say it was perfect... there were a couple of annoyances:

The room wasn't dirty... but it wasn't spotless like most Marriott rooms seem to be. The people weren't rude, but didn't go out of their way either -- for example, a clerk wasn't at all helpful when I asked for restaurant recommendations. Also, when is Marriott going to update their TVs? This hotel had an aged 23" CRT TV, with a terrible picture. This is a chain wide issue... but other companies are installing up-to-date TVs in their rooms.

All in all, I would stay here again if I were to travel back to Visalia... just don't be disappointed when you notice the level of service and quality isn't quite as high as what you're used to with other hotels in the brand.

• Stayed August 2008, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Marriott Visalia? Share your experiences!