“Very good room, but staff is rude” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Marriott Visalia

You added Marriott Visalia to your Saves list
Marriott Visalia
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   300 South Court, Visalia, CA 93291 (Formerly Presidian)   |
Hotel deals
Hotel packages
Special Offer
$25 Daily Credit
Ranked #5 of 14 Hotels in Visalia
Southern California
“Very good room, but staff is rude”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2008

My husband and I decided to spend the night at Marriott in Visalia while we were travelling to Sequoia National park. I recommend staying there if you can't find a room inside the parks. The room was very big, nice, and very clean, as quite standard for Marriott. We booked it by Orbitz and we got a VISA 25$ gift card, as we paid 25$ less the original price.
Visalia doesn't have a lot of attractions, but we spent a pleasant Saturday night there, and, after dinner in a restaurant nearby, we ended up in a local coffee house that has live music performed by a talented young local singer. The hotel has a perfect location in downtown Visalia, just one block from the main street, full of restaurants and shops. My only complain is the rudeness of the Marriott staff. I was waiting for an important call but they never transferred it to my room, and, even if the person who called me left a message, I never received it. They actually said I wasn't there. And told me nobody called for me. The next morning we decided to have breakfast downstairs in the hotel. It was quite clear we were hosts of the hotel (downtown restaurants and coffee houses are just one block away, turists have no need to go there unless hosts of the hotel), but they treated us unfriendly. The breakfast room was big and most of the tables were empty. We chose one nice table near other people (the table we chose was prepared for 2). But the waitress rudely moved us to a tiny table at the entrance of the restaurant, too small for two, even if almost all the tables were empty. The menu was so expensive too. Of course we left, ending up at Starbucks. If you choose Marriott, just enjoy your nice room, buy water bottles outside (another super expensive thing) and eat in one of the downtown restaurant!

• Liked — Very big, clean, and nice room
  • Disliked — staff
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
  • Polish first
Chicago
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2008

We chose to stay at this hotel when visiting the Sequoia National Forest. The other hotels that are closer are of a motel quality or more rustic. This hotel is about 1 hr. drive from the entrance and a nice value for a nice hotel. Many restaurant chains a short drive for your meals.

• Liked — Nice option when visiting the Sequoia National forest
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Orlando, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2008

We booked this property because we wanted a nice hotel as a good vantage point to Sequoia National Park. The hotel is about an hour from the park.

The hotel itself seems to be popular with conferences. There were a number of people with conference badges on - but it wasn't so many that it was a problem.

Check in was easy, room was new and clean and reasonably sized. A/C was adequate but it was still a little warm in the room.

When we checked in, we asked for extra pillows. They never delivered them, so I called the front desk. The phone rang and rang and no one picked up. I called back later and they agreed to send some up. The pillows never showed. Took me three calls to get the pillows and some extra towels.

It's close to downtown Visalia (pronounced V-eye-zayl-ya) which has a number of local restaurants.

When we went to order room service, our menu was missing 3 pages. We called downstairs - again with little luck. Took a number of calls and they finally brought us a xerox-copy of the missing page(s). Once we received the food, it was actually pretty good.

It had a newer bathroom that was clean. Internet service was available for a fee. Nice large LCD TV screen as well. Parking was free.

So overall, a very nice property, but the front desk service was sort of poor.

• Stayed July 2008, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Greenville, South Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2008

I've stayed in 3-4 hotels in Visalia, and the Marriott was definitely the best. That's not to say it was perfect... there were a couple of annoyances:

The room wasn't dirty... but it wasn't spotless like most Marriott rooms seem to be. The people weren't rude, but didn't go out of their way either -- for example, a clerk wasn't at all helpful when I asked for restaurant recommendations. Also, when is Marriott going to update their TVs? This hotel had an aged 23" CRT TV, with a terrible picture. This is a chain wide issue... but other companies are installing up-to-date TVs in their rooms.

All in all, I would stay here again if I were to travel back to Visalia... just don't be disappointed when you notice the level of service and quality isn't quite as high as what you're used to with other hotels in the brand.

• Stayed August 2008, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Julian, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2008

I've been coming to this hotel for years since I have family in the area and love to visit. When a Radisson, this hotel was wonderful. Since Marriott took over, there have been nothing but problems when I've stayed there. The staff goes from unprofessional to downright unfriendly. Last time I stayed, my bed never got made. This time, I found there was a charge to login to the business class computer! Unbelievable. I'm very disappointed because this hotel has just about the best location in town for being able to walk through the old downtown and shop in charming little boutiques. Hopefully, they will get it together and figure out how to better serve their clientele.

• Liked — Location.
  • Disliked — Service and the lack thereof.
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Southern CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2008

We stayed here for the July 4th weekend. This hotel location is great for day trip to Kings Canyon and Sequoia national parks. Hotel room is almost new and bedding is good. The pool is great for our two kids. Service is very good. Dinner at the hotel is also great. Although the service may be a little slow. very close to downtown, you can walk to Starbucks and other places. we also saw the firework from our hotel room!

Only thing is they should supply free internet. Even in the public place like lobby, they still need charge $9.99 a day. That is not good.

Stayed July 2008
San Diego, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2008

We ended up staying here just the one night before our white water rafting trip on the Kaweah river. I chose this hotel after some research thinking it would be the best value compared to other hotels in the area. We drove up from San Diego (about 5 1/2 hours on a Fri night) and arrived at the hotel about 930pm.

The lady at check in was very friendly and we were checked in in 5 minutes. We were assigned a room on the 4th floor right next to the elevators. I knew that might be an issue with noise, but we were only going to be there the one night, so we didn't move. I woke up once in the middle of the night by people coming off the elevator and going to their room.

After getting to our room, we decided to check out the hot tub. The whole pool/spa area is very nice and surrounded by a wall for privacy. The hot tub is very big and was nice and hot. The jets didn't work that well, however.

The major problem we encountered with our stay was the air conditioning. The thermostat only goes down to 68! Normally, that temp would be plenty cool at home. However, during the night, it would get pretty cool when the air was on and then get hot when it kicked off. I was constantly kicking off the covers and covering back up through the night.

The next morning, I was awakened by the family next door at 6am. They weren't being especially loud or anything, but the walls were pretty thin. I tend to be a light sleeper when I'm not in my own bed, so this may have not been a problem for someone else. We didn't eat breakfast at the hotel, so I can't comment on the food.

Visalia seems like a nice little town and the hotel was next to the downtown district. I would stay here again.

• Liked — The hotel decor looked great all around!
  • Disliked — The temp control in the room
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Marriott Visalia? Share your experiences!