“Nice option for visiting the Sequoia National Forest” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Marriott Visalia

Save Saved
You added Marriott Visalia to your Saves list
Marriott Visalia
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   300 South Court, Visalia, CA 93291 (Formerly Presidian)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Free Parking
Ranked #5 of 14 hotels in Visalia
Chicago
“Nice option for visiting the Sequoia National Forest”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2008

We chose to stay at this hotel when visiting the Sequoia National Forest. The other hotels that are closer are of a motel quality or more rustic. This hotel is about 1 hr. drive from the entrance and a nice value for a nice hotel. Many restaurant chains a short drive for your meals.

• Liked — Nice option when visiting the Sequoia National forest
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

183 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
Orlando, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2008

We booked this property because we wanted a nice hotel as a good vantage point to Sequoia National Park. The hotel is about an hour from the park.

The hotel itself seems to be popular with conferences. There were a number of people with conference badges on - but it wasn't so many that it was a problem.

Check in was easy, room was new and clean and reasonably sized. A/C was adequate but it was still a little warm in the room.

When we checked in, we asked for extra pillows. They never delivered them, so I called the front desk. The phone rang and rang and no one picked up. I called back later and they agreed to send some up. The pillows never showed. Took me three calls to get the pillows and some extra towels.

It's close to downtown Visalia (pronounced V-eye-zayl-ya) which has a number of local restaurants.

When we went to order room service, our menu was missing 3 pages. We called downstairs - again with little luck. Took a number of calls and they finally brought us a xerox-copy of the missing page(s). Once we received the food, it was actually pretty good.

It had a newer bathroom that was clean. Internet service was available for a fee. Nice large LCD TV screen as well. Parking was free.

So overall, a very nice property, but the front desk service was sort of poor.

• Stayed July 2008, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Greenville, South Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2008

I've stayed in 3-4 hotels in Visalia, and the Marriott was definitely the best. That's not to say it was perfect... there were a couple of annoyances:

The room wasn't dirty... but it wasn't spotless like most Marriott rooms seem to be. The people weren't rude, but didn't go out of their way either -- for example, a clerk wasn't at all helpful when I asked for restaurant recommendations. Also, when is Marriott going to update their TVs? This hotel had an aged 23" CRT TV, with a terrible picture. This is a chain wide issue... but other companies are installing up-to-date TVs in their rooms.

All in all, I would stay here again if I were to travel back to Visalia... just don't be disappointed when you notice the level of service and quality isn't quite as high as what you're used to with other hotels in the brand.

• Stayed August 2008, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Julian, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2008

I've been coming to this hotel for years since I have family in the area and love to visit. When a Radisson, this hotel was wonderful. Since Marriott took over, there have been nothing but problems when I've stayed there. The staff goes from unprofessional to downright unfriendly. Last time I stayed, my bed never got made. This time, I found there was a charge to login to the business class computer! Unbelievable. I'm very disappointed because this hotel has just about the best location in town for being able to walk through the old downtown and shop in charming little boutiques. Hopefully, they will get it together and figure out how to better serve their clientele.

• Liked — Location.
  • Disliked — Service and the lack thereof.
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Southern CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2008

We stayed here for the July 4th weekend. This hotel location is great for day trip to Kings Canyon and Sequoia national parks. Hotel room is almost new and bedding is good. The pool is great for our two kids. Service is very good. Dinner at the hotel is also great. Although the service may be a little slow. very close to downtown, you can walk to Starbucks and other places. we also saw the firework from our hotel room!

Only thing is they should supply free internet. Even in the public place like lobby, they still need charge $9.99 a day. That is not good.

Stayed July 2008
San Diego, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2008

We ended up staying here just the one night before our white water rafting trip on the Kaweah river. I chose this hotel after some research thinking it would be the best value compared to other hotels in the area. We drove up from San Diego (about 5 1/2 hours on a Fri night) and arrived at the hotel about 930pm.

The lady at check in was very friendly and we were checked in in 5 minutes. We were assigned a room on the 4th floor right next to the elevators. I knew that might be an issue with noise, but we were only going to be there the one night, so we didn't move. I woke up once in the middle of the night by people coming off the elevator and going to their room.

After getting to our room, we decided to check out the hot tub. The whole pool/spa area is very nice and surrounded by a wall for privacy. The hot tub is very big and was nice and hot. The jets didn't work that well, however.

The major problem we encountered with our stay was the air conditioning. The thermostat only goes down to 68! Normally, that temp would be plenty cool at home. However, during the night, it would get pretty cool when the air was on and then get hot when it kicked off. I was constantly kicking off the covers and covering back up through the night.

The next morning, I was awakened by the family next door at 6am. They weren't being especially loud or anything, but the walls were pretty thin. I tend to be a light sleeper when I'm not in my own bed, so this may have not been a problem for someone else. We didn't eat breakfast at the hotel, so I can't comment on the food.

Visalia seems like a nice little town and the hotel was next to the downtown district. I would stay here again.

• Liked — The hotel decor looked great all around!
  • Disliked — The temp control in the room
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Acworth, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2008

I was here on business. Overall the hotel is excellent. There are few things that could be improved (free internet connection for one). The only minor complain is the front desk. There were no one at the front at 7:30AM. I waited for about a minute and someone finally came out from the back. They should have at least one person at the front desk at all time.
The food from the restaurant is a little bit pricey but the quality is excellent. I tried the salmon one night and it was very good.
The parking is good. One suggestion for the hotel: they should separate the parking from the convention center next door. There were no parkings one evening when a function was going on in the convention center.

When you are in Visalia area, this is the hotel for you.

• Liked — Cleanliness; location
  • Disliked — no free internet connection; front desk
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Marriott Visalia? Share your experiences!