“Stuck at the Lodge” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #10 of 14 hotels in Visalia
Midwest USA
“Stuck at the Lodge”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2012

I stayed at the Econo Lodge in Visalia for World Ag Expo in February, 2012. Our company's travel manager screwed up and this was the last hotel available in town. There's a good reason everyone else avoided this place. The single word to describe the property is "dump". The hotel is a motel with individual entry doors for each room. My room was surrounded with old lamps and toilets from rooms being renovated.

The room itself was old and worn. The bed linens were scratchy and I think I could actually see through the towels. The lights in the bathroom and sink (they're separate areas) have these funky auto-on features. Supposedly, they should save energy by turning off when nobody is in the room. The thing was, if you moved sufficiently, the lights would turn on. I got up in the middle of the night and inadvertently turned all the lights on in the room. Crazy.

The breakfast is an offering of fat-laden danish or cold cereal. You can choose from Frosted Flakes or Fruit Loops. Sometimes they had yogurt, but get there early. They only put a few out and when they were gone, they're gone. The only healthy breakfast food was fruit.

Service was OK - the front desk help also took care of the breakfast area, but they generally kept to themselves. My room card failed about 2 days into my stay and the front desk attendant changed it without problems. I didn't interact with them otherwise.

The property is located in a rough area of town. A gun shop is across the street and most of the properties in the areas sport bars across the windows and doors. Not the most welcoming area.

If I had to, I'd stay at the Econo Lodge again. But only if I HAD to.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled on business

52 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Eastern NC
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2011

On my recent trip to the West, I visited Kings Canyon/Sequoia National Park. Since I travel on an extremely limited budget, I look for places in the $70-$80 range. I had to drive to Visalia, a good sized town about an hour away from Kings Canyon, to find accomodations that fit the bill. I decided on Econo Lodge because of their reputation, and ease of finding it in the town. When I checked in, the front desk person was very nice and helpful. The room was large and clean, and the bed was comfortable. There is a small pool on the premises that several families were using. There are restaurants nearby, if you wish to eat out, but I travel with a cooler and food. The only problem that I had was that I asked for, and got a ground floor room; however, the family above me had a small child that constantly was jumping and banging. I tried to go to bed at about 10pm, but the thumping and banging continued until 11pm when I called the manager to ask that she get the people to settle the child down. She didn't seem anxious to comply with my request, but said that she would; however, the banging and thumping continued until well after midnight, and started up again before 6am. Needless to say, I didn't get a good night's sleep. The "breakfast" the next morning was not what I wanted, so moved along to someplace else.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled solo
Montreal, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2011

This was a cheap motel in a remote area. The weather forced us to have the AC the whole time they unplugged it both days so the room was hot at night. We didn't try the pool, which was surrounded by barbelled wires so the neighbors wouldn't get in. The breakfest (waffles) was good but minimal. I guess you get what you pay for.
Like I said, In and Out!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
belgium
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2009

My worst hotel experience ever : no service (rooms stay uncleaned, breakfast never refilled, personel stands there and does nothing). Free wireless internet, but if you want to use their pc, you'll have to pay. Just awfull restaurant.
I complained afterwards and they just responded that i should have done it while i was there.

• Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2009

Stayed one night with reward points. Checkin was easy and fast and there was plenty of parking. Room was clean, basic, and the beds were comfortable.

The TV had only static for sound, no big deal for us. Breakfast is same as most Choice hotels: toast, cereal, coffee. Just enough to get you on the road.

Multi color fish-wrap at front desk.

The location is nice. Close to Sequoia National Park, and there is lots of shopping and dining choices near by.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple
Newark, DE
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2009

We stayed at the Econolodge Visalia for two nights.

Our first impresion: despite its prime location, it's not really an hotel but a motel. It doesn't have a restaurant; many guests kept their rooms' doors open while watching TV half-naked; A/C units are noisy.

But there were lots of good things: people were nice and friendly, rooms were ok. Beds were comfortable. We had the pool for ourselves. The kids had a great time there. The wi-fi didn' work upstairs but there was a PC available in the lobby.

The self-serving breakfast was very poor: coffee and juice machines, plus milk, cereal, sliced bread. But there is a 7-11 across the street. It was good to have a microwave, a mini-refrigerator and a coffee machine in our room.

We went to Visalia in order to visit the Sequoia National Park. We just needed a place to stay and our expectations weren't high. Overall, it was an OK experience.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
Ca
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2009

We booked a king bed thru hotels.com which was to be on the first floor. The Econo Lodge said they only had a room on the 2nd floor - my mother is handicapped and cannot climb stairs. Hotels.com says they guarantee nothing. The Econo Lodge manager after 2 hours of negotiating, suddenly had a room on the 1st floor but "it will cost you $8.00 - no make that $24.00 more". We were left stranded by Hotels.com and the Econo Lodge manager was holding out for more money. Finally at 11 p.m., I was able to locate another hotel that was quiet, with double beds, and on the first floor. This is no way to treat an 88 yr old woman.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with friends

Been to Econo Lodge Sequoia Area? Share your experiences!