“Friendly Service” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #3 of 14 Hotels in Visalia
Los Angeles, California
“Friendly Service”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

This was a quick one day trip to visit with family. We had a spacious room with king bed on the 2nd floor overlooking the pool area. Being Priority Club members, we were greeted with a drink voucher as well as two buffet breakfast vouchers (that was a pleasant surprise). The room was clean, with free wifi. The lobby is a bit dated, but has plenty of seating for visiting with friends and family. Smooth check-in and check-out process.

Room Tip: Lots of freeway construction going on around the hotel exits.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Samantha R, General Manager at Holiday Inn Visalia Hotel & Conf Center, responded to this review, July 12, 2013
July 12, 2013

It's always a pleasure to know that a guest enjoyed their stay at the Visalia Holiday Inn. Our staff does their very best to make sure each guest receives the best service possible to ensure guest satisfaction.

We thank you for being a valued Priority Club Member and as a reward for your loyalty; we were delighted to provide you with a welcome gift to enjoy. We anticipate you will choose the Visalia Holiday Inn again for any future accommodations and we truly appreciate your feedback.

The Visalia Holiday Inn

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (49)
Michigan
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2013

I am going to recommend this hotel, even though there were some drawbacks. Obviously, the most important deterrent that I will mention were the multiple pillowcases which were dirty. I will elaborate. We stayed in a king suite with a double queen room adjoining it, and when I placed the pillow on the pull-out sofa bed, I noticed that it did not smell fresh. I decided to inspect some of the other pillows. One had two brown hairs. Another smelled of conditioner (it smelled nice, but clearly used). Another smelled really awful, like an unwashed head. I sniffed and examined perhaps five pillows before I decided to assume that none of them were clean, and I went down to the front desk to request new pillowcases. I was given four, one for each member of my family, and they all were obviously freshly laundered. The next morning, I asked the room attendant for additional pillowcases, mainly because I wanted to tidy up the room a bit (I had placed the extra pillows with the dirty cases on the floor, and it had become cluttered).

This hotel does have some redeeming features: two clean swimming pools which are modest in size, but nice, free wifi, and a restaurant on the first floor with a chef who can cook. I was impressed with the restaurant, Cafe California - we ate there four or five times. The hotel is in good condition. I will now address some of the aspects which need to be improved.

The laundry room has a dispenser for laundry soap, which was partially out of order. I informed the front desk of this, and they provided me with detergent. While sitting in the laundry center, reading and waiting for my clothes to finish, a housekeeper popped in and taped an "Out of Order" sign to the coin vending dispenser, but she did not attempt to fix it or even find out what was wrong with it. I took out my pen and added that it did work for the fabric softener, but not for the laundry detergent, and also wrote that the front desk has extra detergent; this was for the benefit of other travelers. Two days later, I needed to wash more laundry, and discovered that the sign was gone. I assumed that this meant that it had been serviced, and put in more quarters, which disappeared without the familiar "clunk" of a diminutive box of soap dropping into the trough. So, it still hadn't been repaired. To the hotel: it would be a good idea to fix this promptly.

You will probably be able to hear every person in your hallway shut their door, because the latch is designed for maximum volume. This is standard stuff for a Holiday Inn and others like it. The designers of low to mid-level hotels haven't yet realized that quiet doorknobs do actually exist.

Regarding noise, the air vent, or perhaps something in the duct, seemed to emit a strange clicking noise sporadically, and it was quite noticeable at night. This was rather annoying, but also to be expected with a Holiday Inn. I just amused myself by imagining an entirely different hotel hallway, Lilliputian in size, inside the air duct, and these clicks were the sound of the very small travelers closing their own doorways to rooms the size of matchboxes.

If you have actually read this far, I am astounded. Cheerio.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
July 12, 2013

The staff of the Visalia Holiday Inn would like to apologize to you and your family for the regrettable circumstances that were encountered during your hotel stay. Our hotel takes a deep concern when uncustomary issues arise that ultimately affect the accommodation experience of its guests. Since your review, management has inquired with the relevant departments to further understand the issues and to develop a better strategy to eradicate the possibility of any reoccurrence. We thank you for your detailed feedback as this will assist in providing a better product for our guests.

We are very pleased that you enjoyed your meals at Café California and your final decision to recommend our hotel to others in your review. If your travels bring you back to Visalia, CA; we anticipate you will choose the Visalia Holiday Inn again.

The Visalia Holiday Inn Team
WEST YORKS
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2013

We spent a night here on our tour of California and whilst it was not up to the standard of some of the hotels we could not really complain.
The rooms were clean and comfortable. The shower was good and the coffee in the room reasonable.
We had a good nights sleep and the hotel is well situated for the main highways.
Worth a stop.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Samantha R, General Manager at Holiday Inn Visalia Hotel & Conf Center, responded to this review, July 2, 2013
Thank you for staying at the Visalia Holiday Inn during your excursion of our beautiful California state. We are very pleased to know that your room was clean and comfortable and that you concluded that our hotel is “Worth the stop”.

Our Management Team is always interested in discovering new ways to improve our service, amenities, and the overall experience for all of our guests. If you have a moment to email the General Manager directly at info@altamonthotels.com, it would be extremely helpful to know the specifics of the standards that are personally important to you. This knowledge gives our hotel the opportunity to improve customer satisfaction and eliminate any deficiencies.

We invite you to stay at our hotel again and if you still determine there is a need for improvement, we would appreciate your detailed feedback. We look forward in having you as our guest, again.

The Visalia Holiday Inn Team
California USA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2013

I've never been steered wrong by TA so I was disappointed by my experience after reading the great reviews on this place. I needed a place to stop overnight on my way to Yosemite from Southern California and was debating between this place and the Holiday Inn in Selma about 25 miles up the road. I chose Visalia because of the good reviews and because it's a bigger town.

A couple of thoughts on location. For my road trip, I realized in hindsight that the Visalia location is less convenient because you have to get off the 99 freeway onto the 198 freeway, as oppose to the Selma location which is located right off the 99 freeway. Minor point. But the Visalia HI is located near nothing, absolutely nothing. There's a nice park across the street and that's it. It's not actually in town.

On service, I had a few issues. When booking online, I checked the price in the morning and planned to book that evening. By evening, the price had gone up. I called reservations to see if someone could help me but the agent was of little help so I asked to speak to a manager. She put me on hold, I waited for a couple of minutes, then got routed to the main wait line which said the wait was 5 minutes. I hung up and just paid the higher price but was unhappy with the unhelpfulness that I experienced.

I guess HI offers a breakfast buffet. When we went down for breakfast in the morning at around 8:30am, there was a line, quite a long line. Eventually when the hostess came around, we asked her how long the wait was and she said 5-10 mins. Ok. So we waited. 15 mins later, the line had not moved and people were giving up and getting out of line. We overheard a guy in front of us say he had been waiting 30 mins already. So we gave up too and loaded up the truck. 30 mins later, I went to check on breakfast. The line was shorter now so I asked her to tell me honestly how long the wait was because of our experience earlier that morning. And the hostess gave me such attitude that I was taken aback. It was Memorial Day weekend, she said, and the hotel was at maximum capacity and everyone came down for breakfast all at once, etc...I walked away feeling scolded. So we checked out and got breakfast outside. The HI system of breakfast buffet where you have to wait to be seated seems very inefficient to me. I normally stay at the HI Express and I've never had any problems with the seat and serve-yourself style of breakfast.

The front desk was very friendly. The rooms were standard for a HI. Nice enough. The windows opened a few inches, which is good for some fresh air. We had a truck full of camping stuff and were nervous about it in the parking lot overnight. I did run into night patrol in the parking lot late at night. He said he was patrolling all night so that was reassuring.
Our room had a clogged sink and bathtub drain so we had to call for service to unclog them. No other issues.

The bed was comfortable and the room was quiet. We faced the parking lot and although we could see the freeway, the noise did not bother us at night. We looked at the indoor pool, which was really nice, but had a strong smell of chlorine so I could see how rooms facing the pool might smell it.

Overall, I'd say this experience was not the best, not the worst. I've certainly had better experiences at Holiday Inn. But prices are decent and it's pretty comfortable.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Visalia Hotel & Conf Center, responded to this review, June 23, 2013
Dear stilla,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review. We do apologize for any inconvenience that you have experienced.

We are disappointed to read that you had a poor service experience when you visited the restaurant, we will review for possible modifications so to better accommodate our guest in the future. We are pleased that you did enjoy a comfortable, quiet room and the issue you did have was dealt with in a timely fashion.

We appreciate your feedback as this is our best resource for improving guest services. Thank you for staying with us, and we hope to have an opportunity to serve you again.

Regards,

Brenda J.
case manager
IHGCare
Rogersville, Missouri, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2013

There is a difference between Holiday Inn's and Holiday Inn Express's and this one shows it. While the facility is very nice, the rooms show some age. The place would be great for meetings as there are restaurants and meeting rooms. The room was spacious, but the HVAC was either running or off. It also made a loud vibration noise the whole time. Water was hot and bed comfortable. Staff was friendly and room cleaned each day.

Room Tip: Rm 304 has a loud HVAC unit - works, but has loud vibration noise
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Visalia Hotel & Conf Center, responded to this review, July 9, 2013
Dear Garrett S,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review regarding your stay with us. We appreciate your compliments regarding our hotel and I am pleased to note that you found our staff to be friendly.

On the other hand, let me take this opportunity to apologize for the noise issues you had with the air conditioning system.

Rest assured that your comments will be looked into and will be used for future improvements. We all hope that you will still give us a chance to serve you in the future.

Dhan M
Case Manager
IHGCare
Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

We got a great deal on this hotel for a night stay. It has two pools, one on the inside right near the counter (you have to walk around the corner) and another outside. It's quite but it also has a bar near the lobby and restaurant to keep you entertained. The center of town isn't that far away, and I found the staff to very helpful and accommodating. We used price line to book the hotel and price line did not mention whether it was a room for 1 person, 2 person, etc... We were traveling with three people and need at least two beds. They didn't have 2 queens, but they found us a room with one king and a pullout, which was nice of them because priceline didn't give us any guarantees on what the room would hold.

Room Tip: This is a 3 and half star hotel, and probably the only one in Visalia. I went on priceline to book...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Fremont, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2013 via mobile

Very clean and modern hotel. Staff is very helpful. Rooms are modern and efficient.

Clientele s professional, it being a conference center too. Families too. Park right opposite hotel.

Kid-friendly! Breakfast buffet included for two by paying $5 extra per room, which would have cost $10.50 each otherwise. Kids always eat free! Breakfast is good - lots of choices of hot breakfast (eggs, bacon, sausage, French toast, biscuits & gravy), fresh fruit, fresh juice, cereal, oatmeal etc.

Two pools - indoors and outdoors. Indoor one also has jacuzzi. Both pools are very clean.

Other perk : it's a listed stop for the Sequoia Shuttle (if you'd rather not drive to the National Park yourself ). About 40 miles to the park entrance.

One restaurant in the hotel. Other restaurants are a couple of miles away.

Definitely recommend.

• Stayed May 2013

Been to Holiday Inn Visalia Hotel & Conf Center? Share your experiences!