“Very Average - don't expect too much, but not the worst” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #3 of 14 Hotels in Visalia
California USA
“Very Average - don't expect too much, but not the worst”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2013

I've never been steered wrong by TA so I was disappointed by my experience after reading the great reviews on this place. I needed a place to stop overnight on my way to Yosemite from Southern California and was debating between this place and the Holiday Inn in Selma about 25 miles up the road. I chose Visalia because of the good reviews and because it's a bigger town.

A couple of thoughts on location. For my road trip, I realized in hindsight that the Visalia location is less convenient because you have to get off the 99 freeway onto the 198 freeway, as oppose to the Selma location which is located right off the 99 freeway. Minor point. But the Visalia HI is located near nothing, absolutely nothing. There's a nice park across the street and that's it. It's not actually in town.

On service, I had a few issues. When booking online, I checked the price in the morning and planned to book that evening. By evening, the price had gone up. I called reservations to see if someone could help me but the agent was of little help so I asked to speak to a manager. She put me on hold, I waited for a couple of minutes, then got routed to the main wait line which said the wait was 5 minutes. I hung up and just paid the higher price but was unhappy with the unhelpfulness that I experienced.

I guess HI offers a breakfast buffet. When we went down for breakfast in the morning at around 8:30am, there was a line, quite a long line. Eventually when the hostess came around, we asked her how long the wait was and she said 5-10 mins. Ok. So we waited. 15 mins later, the line had not moved and people were giving up and getting out of line. We overheard a guy in front of us say he had been waiting 30 mins already. So we gave up too and loaded up the truck. 30 mins later, I went to check on breakfast. The line was shorter now so I asked her to tell me honestly how long the wait was because of our experience earlier that morning. And the hostess gave me such attitude that I was taken aback. It was Memorial Day weekend, she said, and the hotel was at maximum capacity and everyone came down for breakfast all at once, etc...I walked away feeling scolded. So we checked out and got breakfast outside. The HI system of breakfast buffet where you have to wait to be seated seems very inefficient to me. I normally stay at the HI Express and I've never had any problems with the seat and serve-yourself style of breakfast.

The front desk was very friendly. The rooms were standard for a HI. Nice enough. The windows opened a few inches, which is good for some fresh air. We had a truck full of camping stuff and were nervous about it in the parking lot overnight. I did run into night patrol in the parking lot late at night. He said he was patrolling all night so that was reassuring.
Our room had a clogged sink and bathtub drain so we had to call for service to unclog them. No other issues.

The bed was comfortable and the room was quiet. We faced the parking lot and although we could see the freeway, the noise did not bother us at night. We looked at the indoor pool, which was really nice, but had a strong smell of chlorine so I could see how rooms facing the pool might smell it.

Overall, I'd say this experience was not the best, not the worst. I've certainly had better experiences at Holiday Inn. But prices are decent and it's pretty comfortable.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Visalia Hotel & Conf Center, responded to this review, June 23, 2013
Dear stilla,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review. We do apologize for any inconvenience that you have experienced.

We are disappointed to read that you had a poor service experience when you visited the restaurant, we will review for possible modifications so to better accommodate our guest in the future. We are pleased that you did enjoy a comfortable, quiet room and the issue you did have was dealt with in a timely fashion.

We appreciate your feedback as this is our best resource for improving guest services. Thank you for staying with us, and we hope to have an opportunity to serve you again.

Regards,

Brenda J.
case manager
IHGCare

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (47)
Rogersville, Missouri, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2013

There is a difference between Holiday Inn's and Holiday Inn Express's and this one shows it. While the facility is very nice, the rooms show some age. The place would be great for meetings as there are restaurants and meeting rooms. The room was spacious, but the HVAC was either running or off. It also made a loud vibration noise the whole time. Water was hot and bed comfortable. Staff was friendly and room cleaned each day.

Room Tip: Rm 304 has a loud HVAC unit - works, but has loud vibration noise
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Visalia Hotel & Conf Center, responded to this review, July 9, 2013
Dear Garrett S,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review regarding your stay with us. We appreciate your compliments regarding our hotel and I am pleased to note that you found our staff to be friendly.

On the other hand, let me take this opportunity to apologize for the noise issues you had with the air conditioning system.

Rest assured that your comments will be looked into and will be used for future improvements. We all hope that you will still give us a chance to serve you in the future.

Dhan M
Case Manager
IHGCare
Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

We got a great deal on this hotel for a night stay. It has two pools, one on the inside right near the counter (you have to walk around the corner) and another outside. It's quite but it also has a bar near the lobby and restaurant to keep you entertained. The center of town isn't that far away, and I found the staff to very helpful and accommodating. We used price line to book the hotel and price line did not mention whether it was a room for 1 person, 2 person, etc... We were traveling with three people and need at least two beds. They didn't have 2 queens, but they found us a room with one king and a pullout, which was nice of them because priceline didn't give us any guarantees on what the room would hold.

Room Tip: This is a 3 and half star hotel, and probably the only one in Visalia. I went on priceline to book...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Fremont, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2013 via mobile

Very clean and modern hotel. Staff is very helpful. Rooms are modern and efficient.

Clientele s professional, it being a conference center too. Families too. Park right opposite hotel.

Kid-friendly! Breakfast buffet included for two by paying $5 extra per room, which would have cost $10.50 each otherwise. Kids always eat free! Breakfast is good - lots of choices of hot breakfast (eggs, bacon, sausage, French toast, biscuits & gravy), fresh fruit, fresh juice, cereal, oatmeal etc.

Two pools - indoors and outdoors. Indoor one also has jacuzzi. Both pools are very clean.

Other perk : it's a listed stop for the Sequoia Shuttle (if you'd rather not drive to the National Park yourself ). About 40 miles to the park entrance.

One restaurant in the hotel. Other restaurants are a couple of miles away.

Definitely recommend.

• Stayed May 2013
Mesa, Arizona
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2013

Easy access off of CA99, great parking, gorgeous lobby, fitness center, pool, and conference rooms. Two restaurants and a lounge on property. Good sized room, comfortable bed, 42 inch flat screen, great shower. All one could ask for in a hotel stay and free breakfast included at $104 for a King Executive room.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2013

Work sent me out to Visalia, and not knowing the area, I was naturally concerned about accommodations, but this place is delightful. I was pretty early, but they pointed out their business center where I hung out doing odds and ends. I got into my room at noon and was very happy. It was very roomy, quiet, clean, had a comfortable couch and bed. The wifi worked with ease. Big windows, that unfortunately I kept closed because I'm not a friend to the heat or bright sun. I had all my meals in their restaurant and I was very pleased with them. Chicken and strawberry salad for lunch, avocado stuffed with shrimp for dinner and a full buffet breakfast the next morning (the breakfast was included in the price). Check this out, breakfast had Tater Tots! I've never seen Tater Tots included with a buffet and I love Tater Tots. It took a lot of control to settle on one scoupful. The hotal has two pools and a fitness center, if you're so inclined.

Room Tip: I spent $5.00 more and got a room on the executive level with a couch. Best $5.00 I ever spent.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2013

Picked this hotel as a stopover for my trip from LA.
The plus:
The member recognition (I'm PCR Platinum); requested a later c/out-Granted :)
The service is in the outlets wonderful-especially from the FB team of Rick and crew.
The evening live entertainment.
The indoor and outdoor pools.
Well maintained rooms.
Wonderful meeting space.
The cons
I really cant think of anything that I didnt like about the property.

Its a wonderful property, with a great leadership.
Thanks

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family

Been to Holiday Inn Visalia Hotel & Conf Center? Share your experiences!