“Disappointed in room but their excellent staff should be commended” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Comfort Inn & Suites

Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #2 of 14 Hotels in Visalia
Certificate of Excellence 2014
California
“Disappointed in room but their excellent staff should be commended”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2015

I travel around the western U.S. with my daughter, who is on am all-star competition team, so I stay at quite a few hotels, some nicer than others, as we compete. Since I really do not like leaving less than stellar reviews, I want to start off first with the good. And even the bad is not "bad" per se, but more of a heads up for people who think they are booking a suite (or what they would consider the best room in the hotel, hopefully.) The location of the suites leaves so much to be desired that I would NEVER book another suite at this hotel.

The front desk staff and housekeeping staff at this hotel are by far the friendliest I've encountered in a very long time. It's always nice after a long days' drive to arrive and be greeted by a friendly smile. Both on check-in and check-out, I enjoyed my interactions with all of the front desk staff. Extremely friendly, kind, listened to my concerns, listened to my complaints (suggestions) when I checked out, etc. Stellar service.

The facilities themselves are clean, I did not see the pool area or the work out area as the weather was 41 degrees during our stay. The lobby is clean, breakfast area kept clean, I think I even saw cookies sitting out the evening we checked in. Once we were checked in by the wonderful front desk person, we headed on up to our room on the 3rd floor. As soon as we exited the elevator, we were greeted by the loud sound of an ice machine humming loudly and the ice clanking down into the ice machine and the hum of the huge soda machine right next to it. And guess what-- Our suite, the Santa Clara suite's door about a foot or so from the clanking ice machine and almost directly in front of the elevator door. As anyone knows there are two rooms you REALLY DO NOT WANT at ANY hotel, and that is the one right next to the elevator or the ice machine. And yet, this Comfort Inn & Suites has placed their best rooms in the absolute worst locations in the hotel.

We opened the door, but as I listened to the new ice that was clanking down into the ice machine as it was being made, I turned right around, drug everything back down to the front desk and asked to be switched to a different room.

They were extremely nice and kind about it. I explained that I hated to complain but that I had booked what I thought was one of the "best" rooms in the hotel (The suite complete with the balcony, fireplace, jacuzzi, etc.) only to find that backed up directly to the horrendously loud ice machines and soda machine. They were super nice, even acknowledging when I asked that I was not the only one to bring this up. (By the looks on their faces, I'm sure they have dealt with this situation more than they cared to admit.) She looked for a different room but because they were apparently booked full the following night I could not be switched but she said it shouldn't be too bad in the room "once you get everything on, have the TV going, etc." Because I did not have time to locate new accommodations and we were tired from our long drive to get there, we turned round and went back up to the room. The room itself seems to have been updated in some way, but with the most odd color combinations from the 70's that it dates the room pretty badly. I could have sworn the carpet looked almost new, honestly--but looked as if it was for a hotel room from the 70's. The furniture was clean, there is a balcony that we never used, mostly because it was chilly and secondly, it overlooks a parking lot and a freeway- But I didn't choose this hotel room for the balcony, the fireplace or the jacuzzi (we used NONE of them.) I booked it thinking it would be the best, largest and probably "quietest" room in the hotel.

The room itself is set up quite odd. The only bathroom in the suite is directly by the entrance door. It contains the shower/tub combination and the toilet. The vanity and sink to get read is opposite that, again directly inside the door to the room, next to a closet with an accordion type door. Someone had unscrewed or it was coming off the wall, the shower head in the shower, so the first time we went to use it water sprayed EVERYWHERE all over the wallpapered walls, the ceiling, and onto the floor. It took me awhile but once I figured out that the entire showered was coming unscrewed from the wall, I was able to fix that myself. You then have a bar sink/area counter where the coffee machine is and then a large open space (with an odd electrical outlet in the middle of the floor in the carpet?) and the fireplace. There is nothing in front of the fireplace, it's just sort of sitting there on the large wall with no way to enjoy it, no couches to sit on in front of it, etc. I suppose you could lay a blanket on the floor in front of the fireplace, but the couch, TV and a chair are down further towards the balcony end of the room. The fireplace is just sort of an odd, tiled thing in the room that makes you go, "Huh?" The pink mauve tiles coupled with the odd green and yellow and red carpet motif just didn't go together, but again that was trivial, as I was there with my daughter for a competition and didn't plan on using the "romantic" fireplace anyway. The "bedroom" area of the room seems as if they just took the room next door and made that the bedroom, which is fine, except it contained only the king size bed and the dresser that held the other TV. This left a HUUUUGE part of the room just empty, except for the lonely odd silk potted plant they had over in the far corner, across from the pink mauve 70's looking jacuzzi tub in the other corner.

The size of the room was great, but the issue I had was, if you wanted to take a shower, you had to walk all the way back through the living room and kitchenette area in your wet towel to get back to the bedroom? So odd. There is so much unused space in the bedroom area, you could have put an entire bathroom in that room as well, which would make it much more convenient than having to parade through the living room in front of anyone else who is in your hotel room. I suppose you could bring all of your clothes and leave them sitting on the toilet, so when you get out of the shower, you get dressed immediately and THEN go to your room, but that is not how most people "get ready" in the morning.

NOW THE NOISE: She was right, during the day, when you're in the room and you have the TV on and the louder wall units for the heater/air conditioning, you really only slightly head the "humming" noise of the ice machine and the ice clanking isn't that bad. You still hear EVERY SINGLE PERSON as they get off the elevator and are laughing, talking, kids running, squealing, etc You hear everyone's conversations as they stand there together getting their sodas and ice at the ice machines. Fast forward to 11pm, when you're trying to sleep, and now your room is really quiet-- Yep, that's the ice machine humming...Yep..there's the clanking (I think the ice machine drops ice about every hour or so, I didn't time it because I tried to just ignore it an not be upset that my "suite" was in the worst location in the hotel.) The first night, about 11:45pm, the jacuzzi started making this really loud noise.. It woke me up and I actually got out of bed and walked over to it. There must be another jacuzzi tub in the room below us that shares the same pipes...because the noise echo up through to our jacuzzi! That wasn't great, but thankfully they didn't seem to take a super long jacuzzi bath. About 1am the second night, a group of loud people came off the elevator obviously excited and happy about something, so that woke me up. Just overall, the "experience" in this room is not what you'd expect from a suite.

Most people who travel know that, again, there are a couple rooms you "don't" want: The room directly next to or directly across from the elevator and the room next door to the utility/ice/soda machines.(unless you need to be close to the elevator because of a handicap, which incidentally, this room WAS a handicap accessible room. I did not request a handicap accessible room, and I made my reservations for this room 5 MONTHS in advance. It's not like I got the "last" suite available and got "stuck" in this room. I arrived right on time to check in (around 4pm) so it's not like I arrived late and got "stuck" in this room either. )

All in all, we were stuck in the room the entire weekend. I was disappointed in the room's location,noise level, etc. We dealt with it, but I still feel like someone needs to acknowledge and let it be known that when you are booking a suite, they said that ALL of their suites located in the same area. I asked them why in the world they would put what they bill as their "best" rooms in the worst location and they acknowledged it did seem odd, they apologized, and said that they used to be a different hotel before, etc. etc. I get it--but why not remodel, move your suites to a better location and turn these rooms back into two regular rooms at a discounted rate or something. When customers book a "suite" or what they consider to be one of the better rooms of the house....and they get off the elevator and see that their wonderful room is RIGHT THERE next to the busiest and loudest places in a hotel hallway--it's hugely disappointing.

But again--You are lucky that you have such wonderful staff up front to deal with all of the disappointed suite customers--and they said I am NOT the only one who brought all of this up, because I did ask them if others complained too, because I felt bad complaining and they assured me, with telling smiles, that indeed, this was not the first time.

Book a regular room and ask to be further from the elevator. Stay away from the Santa Clara suite or any other suite on the other levels that is directly in front of the elevator and where the ice machines are built into an alcove butting directly to your "suite."

Room Tip: Stay away from the fireplace/jacuzzi suites, located directly next to and across from the elevator a...
  • Stayed January 2015, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2014

Came to Visalia on a Thursday night for my boys football game. I stayed at the holiday Inn the night before bc I came in with my cousin and that where his hotel was. I checked in to comfort Inn on Friday night. I asked Kim the nightperson if I could have a room closer to all my family that were staying at the comfort inn. She looked up one of the names of the family member and put my room right next to them. I was happy bout that. Then the next day my wife and kids came and I realized I needed two beds. So I went to the front and saw Kim again and asked if we could move into a double bed room. It was going to be more but she worked it out that it was the same price as what I was paying for now. So there was no extra charge. I was so pleased with her service that I signed up for rewards card and I'm leaving a review of the hotel and Kim on this website. Even tho I got the hotel from another third party website. If your ever in town this is the place to stay. The rooms were super clean and the service was grade A+ because of Kim. I hope she gets a raise bc you don't get customer service like that anymore. Thank you Kim for making my families stay well worth it.

Stayed December 2014, traveled with family
Alyssa F, Guest Experience Champion at Comfort Inn & Suites, responded to this review, January 8, 2015
Dear Matthew S,
We are incredibly honored to hear all of the wonderful things you have to say about our hotel and your recent stay with us and we couldn’t be more pleased that you were given a stay to remember and that we could accommodate you and your family with whatever you may have needed. Kim indeed is a friendly lady who goes the extra mile to please our guests and we are lucky to have her. Thank you for your kind words and time and we do hope that you will stay with us if you are ever in the area again.
Sacramento, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2014

We recently stayed here to visit family over the holidays. We checked in late in the evening after reserving a room online for a two queen room. We were greeted warmly and efficiently and were in our first floor room in no time. The room looked and felt clean and the sheets were fresh and clean as well. The hot breakfast the following morning was good and changed the next day. The hotel is adequate and comfortable and we would stay here again but the true stand outs are the friendly staff.

• Stayed November 2014, traveled with family
Alyssa F, Guest Experience Champion at Comfort Inn & Suites, responded to this review, December 2, 2014
Dear MGD67,
On behalf of our entire staff we would like to give you a big thank you for appreciating all the hard work we put into our hotel here, its reviews like yours that keep our staff motivated to give our guests an experience to remember. We are truly glad you were able to enjoy our comfortable rooms, hot complimentary breakfast and welcoming staff, we do hope that you will continue to stay with us whenever you are in the area.
Again, thank you
Santa Cruz, CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2014

We stopped en route from Northern California to Phoenix. Our room was quite decent, staff was pleasant. Several of my colleagues have stayed here for a ham radio convention held in Visalia each spring, and have been happy.

Downside is the breakfast -- lousy coffee, all the food choices are for fat people. On our way out in the morning, we stopped at a Starbucks a few miles down the road.

• Stayed October 2014, traveled as a couple
Alyssa F, Guest Experience Champion at Comfort Inn & Suites, responded to this review, November 11, 2014
Dear JimBrown,
Thank you for taking the time to leave a review on your recent stay with us, we are pleased to hear that you had a good stay and that our staff was pleasant to you. We do apologize for not meeting your breakfast expectations and will be sure to look into ways to create a healthier option besides yogurt and fruit for future guests. We do hope that you will consider staying with us again if ever in the area again. Thank you.
Berlin, Deutschland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2014

We stayed here for two nights when visiting Sequoia National Park.

The hotel is located next to the Visalia airport, but noise was not an issue at all. The staff at the front desk was really nice when we checked in. We had to switch rooms because there were bugs or ants in the bathroom in our first room (we booked a suite with two rooms and fireplace). We got moved into another really spacious suite with a jacuzzi in the bathroom.

Now the downside: The rooms were really outdated, it felt like we were back in the 80s. Furniture looked old and worn out. Also, I found hair on the sheets (not ours) and there were a couple of mosquitos in the room.

Breakfast was alright - the typical breakfast you get at hotels like this. They ran out of coffee cups so I had to ask the front desk to put up more cups.

• Stayed October 2014, traveled as a couple
Alyssa F, Guest Experience Champion at Comfort Inn & Suites, responded to this review, October 20, 2014
Dear guest,
I am glad to hear that the staff at our hotel was on top of things when an issue with your room accrued and I am glad we can accommodate you with an equally spacious suite. I do apologize that you felt our rooms were outdated we recently got all new furniture and bedding for our rooms and we are working our way up to making more changes to the rooms as well as our hotel to better please our guests.
We do hope that you will stay with us again if you are ever back in the area.
Waupun, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2014

We stayed with friends in a Suite at this hotel while traveling through the nearby National Parks. Our room was beautiful with an outside balcony and a fireplace. The staff was excellent, very friendly and helpful. Thanks Kimberly for all of your help with our questions and laundry. We had a very enjoyable stay and would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed October 2014, traveled with friends
Patrick M, Guest Experience Champion at Comfort Inn & Suites, responded to this review, October 12, 2014
Dear Guest,
Thank you for your kind words regarding your recent stay with us here at the comfort inn & suites
We are very happy to hear that you had an enjoyable stay and that our staff was on top of things with your questions and needs, we look forward to seeing you again if you ever return to the area.
Lake Forest, California, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2014

This was my first time in Visalia, staying there for a couple days while checking out the Sequoias. I booked this Comfort Inn because everything closer to the park was booked up on the days we wanted (it was a last-minute trip). But I'm glad we stayed here. The airport is tiny, so there is no noise. And we only heard our upstairs neighbors stomp around a little bit. We were located on the first floor in between the pool and a conference room, so it was a nice, quiet place. The room was really cute and clean, and had a comfortable bed, and there was a fridge and a nice AC unit where you can keep the fan on at all times (which helps when you're trying to sleep). The best part of this hotel, though, was the breakfast! We were very happy with the potatoes, eggs and sausage, and everything else you could think of for a filling breakfast.

To nitpick: We didn't have an extra roll of toilet paper, and there were no pool towels, but the guy at the front desk helped out with both of these things right away and was very friendly about it. Also the internet was slow, but I've never been in a hotel with good wifi. So overall I was very pleased with my stay!

Stayed September 2014, traveled as a couple
Patrick M, Guest Experience Champion at Comfort Inn & Suites, responded to this review, October 2, 2014
Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to write a response regarding your recent stay with us.

We are incredibly happy to hear that you had such a pleasant stay with us and your kind words will definitely be shared with the rest of our team. It is our goal to create bot a memorable and enjoyable stays for each and every one of our guests that stay with us.

Again thank you and we do hope to see you again if ever traveling back into the Visalia area!

Been to Comfort Inn & Suites? Share your experiences!