“Very good choice in downtown Visalia” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #7 of 14 Hotels in Visalia
Ontario, California
“Very good choice in downtown Visalia”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2011

You can't beat the location of the Comfort Suites when visiting Visalia. Fantastic selection of restaurants, bars, bakeries, etc. within easy walking distance in the charming downtown area. The hotel offers lots of amenities: free parking in the adjacent municipal structure; above-average breakfast included in room price; spacious rooms with fridge, microwave, and comfy beds with nice linens; free internet.

My only quibbles: as other reviewers have said, the elevator may be the slowest I've ever used. Minor annoyance, really. Also, I like that the entire property is smoke-free, but I'm guessing our room was a recently-converted smoking one, because there was a slight lingering odor. Not oppressive; didn't make our clothes stink; but noticeable when entering the room. I know I'm particularly sensitive to the smell of smoke; it probably wouldn't be a problem for most people. It wasn't bad enough to keep me from booking a room for our upcoming family Thanksgiving visit-- the location, value for money, and helpful & friendly employees make this an excellent stop.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Leuven, Belgium
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2011

After being led the wrong way for hours and hours by our gps (at some point even got pulled over by the cops, saying that the town we were at was 'not a good place to be' for us), we were SO glad we finally found a safe town and a hotel that didn't look like we were gonna get robbed in the middle of the night. We really didn't care how much it costed or how small the room was, we just wanted to get some sleep. As it turned out, Comfort Suites were actually very good value for our money!

Rooms were large (with a seperate sofa/tv area), clean and very well equiped. The bed was definitely comfortable, as was the nice hot shower. The breakfast was royal. Never made my own waffles before :-)

To sum up: we had a great night's sleep and a very pleasant stay!

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
Santa Monica, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2011

I'm originally from Visalia, and head back to town every now and then. When I know I want to enjoy the bar and restaurant scene, I stay at this hotel. The amenities are decent (free internet, small gym) and the staff is quite helpful. This is a much more affordable choice compared to the Marriot across the street - which is actually just an old 1/2 renovated Radisson. However, although this hotel is newer (built around 2000), the rooms appear quite older than their age.

Room Tip: Try to get a room facing East. On a rare clear day in the valley, you can see the Sierra Nevadas.
  • Stayed January 2011, traveled with friends
Auckland Region, New Zealand
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2011

Walked in off the street and 1st surprise was reasonable pricing for central city hotel. Nice, large room, quiet and comfortable. Visalia is a lovely clean & tidy city so we stayed another night to have a good look around before heading off to Sequoia NP.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Medford, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2011

We stayed at the Comfort Suites for one night. It was in a convenient location. We came from Sequoia National Park/King's Canyon and stopped here on our way to Hearst Castle. The room was large with a nice sitting room, clean and the beds were comfortable. The breakfast was incredible with A LOT of options.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2011

This place is in a great town. Visalia is a great walking town with local shops, mom and pop restaurants, bakeries, etc... Convenient to the national parks but this hotel is a mixture of good and bad. The room hasn't been redecorated in decades, seriously, with old tube tv's, blue wall paper, old carpet. It seems clean but who knows, everything is blue and so dark you can't tell if it's clean or not. Allison the front desk manager is the only rude desk clerk we met in 16 nights in hotel rooms. She needs to do something else for a living. The breakfast is amazing. Restaurant quality and free! Location is good but I would save this as a last resort as we did. If everything else is booked this will do in a pinch.

Room Tip: Welcome to the 1980's, and not the good parts
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Humboldt County
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2011

The last two times I stayed at this hotel chain (Oregon and Redlands Ca) were both very positive experiences…nice rooms, great price, wonderful staff….this experience was nothing like my first two!! I should have had a clue when it took twenty some rings for the clerk to answer the phone; it was down fill from there; even though I had a reservation I had to stand in like for nearly 15 mins because the front desk clerk was so slow--there was only one set of guests in front of me; the parking is terrible and the front desk clerk failed to tell me that you can not enter from the parking structure itself, so after driving to the fourth floor I had to turn around, which I was not very happy about since it was nearly midnight and I had been driving all day; when we got into our room it was 85 degrees and the AC was off (I had a reservation, if it is hot and you know some one is going to be checking in, turn on the AC!) the room looked like it had not been redecorated since the early 80's and I felt the need to wear my sandals and not risk going barefoot; granted Visalia is near cattle farms, I don't believe a room smelling like cow feces is ok at all; minor things: the business center was out of order as well as the drinking fountain; I can not tell you how the breakfast was because my husband and I did not want to risk eating there after our experience…I was about to write off Choice Hotels all together but decided to do a "drive by before reserving" on the last night of our trip in Vacaville…100% nicer!!!!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Comfort Suites? Share your experiences!