“Great Steaks” 4 of 5 stars

Dining options: Reservations
Visalia, California
“Great Steaks”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2013

We enjoy going to Tahoe Joe's about once a year, if we can afford it. We share a meal so we can get out of there for just under $40.00 that's including strawberry lemonade for the wife and ice tea for me. We pass on desert unless we have a coupon for a free Cheesecake which cost $8.00 a slice last time we were there. But we like the food there and most of the time we get a good server.

• Visited May 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Bradley
“Good but not great”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

I had the prime rib because the 6 ounce steak I wanted is slow cooked or roasted and only is served "medium". I like my meat medium rare so opted for the smaller portion of prime rib and was satisfied with what I got. Our server was friendly, knowledgeable and super efficient. My husband isn't so impressed with Tahoe Joe's food and probably won't go back. It's a little pricey.

• Visited April 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Northern California
“First time and we were not disappointed on this night!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

Overnighting in Visalia - we were in the mood for a good steak. I did some on-line research but there wasn't a clear winner. Found this steakhouse not too far from our hotel and decided to give it a try. The decor was interesting and eye-catching. The noise level was fine for us - busy but not overly loud. You can carry on a conversation easily with those at your table. Our wait staff was busy but attentive. He took our drink order and I noticed that he made our drinks as well (not sure if they were short-staffed? or he does dual duty?); either way, the drinks were fine. He offered a "tour" of the menu but we were already to order. I ordered the steak and shrimp (grilled). HB wanted a steak but since he likes his med well - we asked if he should order the smaller steak. Waiter said - no - go for the larger sirloin as the chef does a good job (and won't butterfly it either). All I can say is that the meal was excellent! My steak was flavorful. HB's steak was also done perfectly and very tasty. Came with green beans - fresh and done right (not soggy). We were stuffed before the end of our meal, so you will get plenty. Then we were offered free dessert as we were first timers! Wow! We chose the apple pie slice and the waiter brought it to go as we were very full. A great experience.

• Visited March 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Visalia
“I really tried to give it a shot...”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2013

Went to Tahoe Joe's on 3 occassions. Each time I had a different cut of beef, the first time was either a T-Bone or Porterhouse and the last two were Filet Mignon. I have eaten a lot of these steaks over the years but there has always been something really off with the taste of their beef. I like the atmosphere there but the last time I was there I dared the waitress to take a bite of the Filet Mignon. I could not eat it. All I could think of was a line from the movie O'Brother, Where Art Thou? "I slaughtered this horse last Tuesday. I believe she's startin' to turn".

• Visited July 2012
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Visalia, CA
“Good food and atmosphere”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2013

My son and I had dinner at Tahoe Joe's, the swordfish was cooked just perfect and the service was very good. I have lunch there and enjoy their sandwiches also. Everyone is friendly and make you feel at home.

• Visited December 2012