“Good enough for one night” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Plan Ahead and Save 15%
Ranked #10 of 14 Hotels in Visalia
Herne, Germany
“Good enough for one night”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2008

We, two adults and a nine years old child, stayed at the Super 8 on the 16th of July for one night.
The old fellow at the reception seemed to be some kind of apparent death during our check in. A very tight – lipped guy. We were glad to get the last room in the upper floor, far away from the freeway. But also in this room the noise of the freeway was present. But it was in an acceptable scale. The room was very spacious and clean. Unfortunately the air condition was too noisy for let it turned on in the night . The pool was small but big enough for a quick refreshment.
The walls were paper thin. Our neighbors were talking nearly the whole night and as they finished talking they had extensive sex together. We’ve got a notion, that the motel was frequented by workers which have to finished a more than one day project in the area and from couples who looking for fast love.
Breakfast was average. Nothing special. Cereals, muffins, toast, juice, coffee and so on.
8 PM in “Downtown” Visalia no shop was open at all. In Germany we would say – They flapping the sidewalks up” Only a few restaurants and bar were open. For Dinner we were at an Mexican Restaurant on the main street. They offered very nice food.

• Stayed July 2008, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2008

Had a little trouble finding this hotel - street here are a little different but good once you catch on. Typical Super 8 room, a little noisy, early departures, typical contintental breakfast. Worth about what we paid for it.

Stayed March 2008
Seattle, WA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2007

Visalia was a new stop for me on a 3-day trip from Washington to Arizona and, after reading reviews, I decided on Super 8. It was clean and in a safe-feeling area near SR 198. In fact, better than I expected. I would recommend this motel if you are just passing through the area.

• Liked — Felt safe, rooms were clean, it was easy to find and the price reasonable
  • Disliked — area in general, heavy traffic, some noise from the highway.
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled solo
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
ontario
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2007

We had previously stayed here in 2005, so on our way to the sequois stayed again,WOW all new beds, carpets, and painted showers with arc rod and power showers,they really have upgraded it,quodos to the owners and management we'll be back,

• Liked — renovation
  • Disliked — ?
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
San Carlos, CA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2007

We had a large school group that stayed here while participating in the Odyssey of the Mind competition In March '07. While it is not a fancy hotel, it served our purposes just fine. Rooms were clean, staff was friendly, location was perfect - off a main road and close to grocery stores and restaurants and close to the competition location. Could use some updating and the pool was not heated when we were there, but for the price, it was a good deal.

• Liked — location to the Odyssey of the Mind competition held in Visalia
  • Disliked — very plain, no frills ... but to be expected for the price and type of motel
  • Stayed March 2007
San Luis Obispo, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2006

I have to visit Visalia every so often for work. I've tried to find a better budget motel in the area, but without success. I keep ending up at this Super 8 branch because of its reasonable prices and strong wireless Internet access. The front desk staff and management really couldn't care less, and don't expect to receive the type of room you request (e.g., we booked a non-smoking king and got a smoking room with 2 queen beds).

If you don't need to stay right in Visalia, try the motels in Fresno instead. It's not that far away, and you'll find slightly better value at some of the better business-oriented motels there.

• Liked — Strong wi-fi Internet access
  • Disliked — Not getting the room I requested
  • Tips/Secrets — Stay in Fresno instead
  • Stayed October 2006, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Orange County, CA
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2006

I booked 3 rooms for 2 nights. I had prepaid the entire stay. I was travelling with my wife, my grandmother and my in-laws. I confirmed my reservations with the front desk days before to make sure I would get what I was paying for.

I understood exactly what I was getting into. I stayed here for a reason; it was cheap enough for those travelling with me but it "had" A/C and a bed. I wasn't expecting anything more and anything less

We arrived at approximately 9:00 PM. The only rooms available were separated from each other which was not a problem. The outside temperature was at least 95 degrees if not more. I had already learned that there were no other available hotel rooms within 25 miles.

I went into my first assinged room and it was at least 85 degrees. I reported the problem to the front desk clerk who was very helpful. She moved me into another room which was still not cool but at least cooler that the first room. Again, I have realistic expectations when paying under $65/night so I wasn't about to make a big deal.

We soon get a knock from my mother-in-law telling us that my grandma's room is an inferno! We go to my grandma's room and the heater had been left on the whole day. This room was literally hot enough to roast a turkey. The inside temperature was hotter than the outside temperature. I tried to turn the heat off and the A/C on with no success. I went to the front desk and there was now a young-man who was not able to help me. This employee stated he didn't have any other rooms so I couldn't blame him for his inability to help me. He did manage to turn the heater off and get the A/C on low. At this rate, the room would never have cooled even to a comfortable room temperature. Leaving my grandma in this environment would likely have resulted in elder abuse charges by the Sheriff.

Soon later, the desk clerk admitted there was another room that was already reserved by another person (who had not yet showed up). I asked to have that room but he told me that he couldn't do it. I tried to explain that it would be better to give me the room and get me off his case and he could have an A/C tech come out to take a look at the defective unit. He may have been able to have the unit repaired before the other customer showed up. He would not go for it. I asked to speak to his manager. He told me that he would have to call his mother (the desk clerk I had earlier dealt with). I spoke to the mother and told her that this was not acceptable. I demanded to speak to the owner. I was then informed that he was in L.A. and could not be reached. I asked, what if there was a fire today. Would you not be able to reach him? She then made contact with the owner and the options given to me were a refund or keep the room. Wonderful! I can sleep with my grandma or I can put everyone in the car and drive 25 miles to another motel. I was too tired for these games. They did attempt to locate a fan to help in the cooling of the boiling room. The fan was never located. This still would not have helped.

After one hour, one more option was given to me; they would refund me for the one room and give me a bed so my grandma could sleep with me and my wife! Nice! That's customer service at this hotel. I can now have the luxury of being refunded for the hellisht room (they intended to make me pay for it until I became to big a problem for them!) Again, I don't blame the employee.

One cannot blame the employee. The owner/management fails to maintain the rooms in a working condition giving the employee nothing to work with. In addition, the furniture was falling apart in all three rooms but I overlooked this as I hadn't booked the Ritz.

After trying to haggle that room into my possession, they finally relent. After calling the supposed customer, they find out that the customer had already checked in and would not need that room!

The young man thought I was going to hit him. I would never have hit him but I couldn't believe what it took to get a decent room. It had taken about 2 hours, but I now had a room for my grandma. The purpose of this trip was to take my grandma and in-laws to Sequoia National Park. All this hell to be able to visit a Sequoia.

If I could give it a 0, I would have. I have stayed in pitiful places in third world countries that were not as bad as this place. Their ice maker also broke down on Day 2 to make things even worse.

I gave management time to respond to my issues. I responded to the Super 8 customer satisfaction email and postcard and told them I expected a response to my horrible experience. It has been over 2 months and they never responded.

I ignored the couple of negative opinions on this forum to my detriment. DO NOT STAY HERE! SPEND THE EXTRA $ AND SAVE YOURSELF THE NIGHTMARE.

IF YOU STAY HERE AND HAVE A BAD EXPERIENCE, THE LEAST YOU CAN DO IS POST AN OPINION TO WARN OTHERS!

NEVER AGAIN!

• Liked — Absolutely nothing
  • Disliked — Inoperative A/C, broken furniture
  • Tips/Secrets — Stay away!
  • Stayed July 2006, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Super 8 Visalia? Share your experiences!