“The Back-Up Plan” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #8 of 14 Hotels in Visalia
Lancaster, California
“The Back-Up Plan”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2014

The Fairfield is my back-up hotel when I'm unable to book a room at my preferred location. Good over-all hotel, nothing special, basic accommodations at a fair price. This location could stand a refresh and more electrical outlets to accommodate the many electronic devices most people travel with and faster wifi.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
Molly B, General Manager at Fairfield Inn Visalia, responded to this review, July 21, 2014
Dear Guest:

Thank you for taking time out to rate us. I am happy to hear we are your Back Up Plan. I hope that in the future we can become the place for you to stay for you. I will share your comments with the staff to see where we can improve. We hope the rest of your travels were safe and enjoyable.

Thank you for staying!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
  • Hebrew first
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2014

We stayed in visalua before and we like the place. It's a good stop when you want to visit the sequoia park. It has a heated pool and the breakfast is ok to, clean , quiet rooms and somd restaurants in the neughbourhood. Forget about the coffee
next door at primo expresso

Stayed July 2014
Thank you for your great comments! We appreciate you visiting us!
Illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2014

The hotel is one hour east of Sequoia NP, great location.
It is surrounded by shops, and walking distance from downtown.
Place looks clean, and feels nice... BUT
the hot tub is broken and the indoor pool temperature is
nowhere the 86 degrees, closer to 75...
Hotel staff could not fix the temperature, they had to tell maintenance
folks to fix for following day... too bad we were gone...

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Molly B, General Manager at Fairfield Inn Visalia, responded to this review, July 4, 2014
Dear Guest
I understand your frustration with the Spa being closed. We are truely sorry. I thank you for your comments and will share them with the staff. We hope the remainder of your travels were enjoyable. Have a wonderful day!
Molly
Atlanta, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2014

Our family had a great night's sleep at this location. More importantly, the front desk was very accomodating with my daughter's need to use the internet for her online coursework. The breakfast was good sized, although it was hard to find front desk people early in the morning.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
We appreciate your wonderful comments! I will share them with my team. We hope that the remainder of your travels are safe and enjoyable.

Have a wonderful day!
Dana Point, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2014

I stayed at the Fairfield Inn here for just one night on business. I am normally a Marriott Courtyard Inn person, but it seems that Marriott has decided to raise the prices on Courtyards just enough to make them out of reach of the lower end business travelers like me. So, I stay at Fairfield Inn's now.
This one was a good location, right off the freeway and with indoor access to rooms which I prefer over outside access "Motel style" rooms.
The room was clean for the most part. The only reason why they got a lower score for me is the bed comfort. Not sure where they got their beds for this Fairfield Inn, but they were lumpy, uneven and just not super comfortable. I was surprised, because Marriott usually is way above the average Hotel room for bed comfort.
The complimentary Breakfast was good, but not great. A okay selection of things to eat, but it's complimentary, so what can I say?
The reception was very nice, a nice young gentleman helped me and was very courteous and professional.
Overall, a good Hotel in a great location if you're in this area. I just think after taxes to pay $125 for a Fairfield Inn is a bit steep. I use to be able to stay at Courtyard Inn's for $99. What happened?

• Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
Molly B, General Manager at Fairfield Inn Visalia, responded to this review, May 21, 2014
Thank you for your comments. I am sorry we fell short in your expectations on our beds. I will ensure I pass that along to the appropriate department. I am please with the other comments regarding our hotel. I am happy the remainder of your stay was enjoyable.
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2014

I stayed here for several nights in February. The hotel is exactly what you would expect from a Fairfield Inn. The location is 10 minutes from the Visalia Convention Center but those who have the option would probably prefer to stay at the full service Marriott that is within walking distance of the convention center. This hotel did have a fairly nice indoor pool as well as a hot tub. The room was clean and comfortable, though the hotel overall gave the impression of needing to be updated. The area of the hotel smelled strongly of manure. I thought this may have been due to nearby farmers spreading their fields but the oversized air freshener positioned at the entrance to the hotel made me wonder if the stink was a common problem.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
Molly B, General Manager at Fairfield Inn Visalia, responded to this review, March 11, 2014
Thank you for taking time give a review on our hotel. We appreciate your comments and are glad to see that your overall stay was pleasant. As for the smell, yes we do have several daries in Central California and during the winter months they can be a little on the strong side. We hope you had a safe travel home and hope to see you again in the future!
Have a wonderful day!
Torrance, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2013

Because the Fairfield Inn Visalia Sequoia got a fair number of favorite reviews, we opted to give it a test run on an impromptu visit to Visalia a couple of weeks ago. It's easy enough to spot right off Highway 198, nestled into a newish, well-maintained area. Check-in was effortless, personnel seemed eager to please and there was plenty of outdoor parking along the perimeter. Hallways seemed a bit institutional in feel and the rooms spartan. Even with the close proximity to the highway, we had no issues with traffic noise, though in warmer months when windows are open it may be another matter.

Our room was pretty utilitarian with the overall ambiance plain wrap-- it it was clean, comfortable and served well for a good night's sleep. It was furnished with the bed, one nightstand, a desk, a sofa, dresser with two drawers only, a microwave, coffee maker and a small fridge. (an ironing board and iron, hair dryer, shampoo and conditioner were also thoughtfully provided by way of amenities.) One odd feature was that the room had no closet; simply a small rack and hangers. I'm not sure if the lack of closet is standard in all rooms or if ours was an exception. In any case, given the lack of storage the room doesn't seem a good candidate for longer stays, making me wonder why they'd opted to fill up space with a mini fridge and microwave-- both more likely to be used staying more than an overnight. Oddly enough, since I'd opted for a room with a single queen bed, we were given a handicap room, which presented a few issues I'll get to in a moment.

For a wheelchair patron, this room was well-appointed. Peephole and locks on the door were adjusted to wheelchair height, as were the furnishings. Though I didn't actually come prepared with a tape measure (my specialty back when I was in the travel industry happened to be handicap travel), I'm willing to bet that there is ample space on both sides of the bed for wheelchair-to-bed transfers, and doorways are comfortably wide. Bathrooms are spacious with plenty of room for a wheelchair to maneuver; The toilet seemed to be standard, but had a sturdy grab rail adjacent; wash basin and mirror are also lowered for ease of wheelchair use and the tub/shower combination equipped with a fold-down seat. Obviously, this arrangement is suitable only for someone able to perform a transfer from chair to shower seat; for someone requiring more specialized facilities (such as a roll-in- shower), this arrangement would be less than optimal.

The down side of this room? There was no closet, as I'd mentioned, and the clothing rack had been set at a level which is fine for a wheelchair patron-- unfortunately, if you happen to be traveling with a full-length dress as I was this trip, there was nowhere to hang long garments. Not horrible, granted; and probably an unlikely scenario for most travelers. Fortunately, we were able to get by just fine by draping my dress across the sofa for the night-- but should anyone else be in a similar situation, it's something to consider. A second issue was the shower, which is also designed to be used by the non-ambulatory with the shower head affixed at an unusually low level. To my six-foot husband, this was a bit of an inconvenience, since he didn't care to sit while showering. I'm thinking that opting for a detachable shower nozzle (the one in this room was not) might have made the issue a bit more manageable for non-handicap guests. Between the shower and the lowered bathroom mirror, I'd thinking that someone six feet or taller might do well to ask for a different room if placed in this situation.

In addition to indoor pool facilities, this property also includes breakfast with the cost of the room: hard boiled eggs, dried cereal, pastry, do-it-yourself fresh waffles, yogurt, fruit, juice and coffee made up the offerings. The dining area was clean and well-tended, and there was certainly an ample array of foods to start off the day. I was glad to see it wasn't all junk food as I've seen at some breakfast buffets.

Probably what scored the highest for us was the phone call we got from the front desk shortly after we'd checked in, just checking to make sure everything was OK and that we were comfortable-- a lovely touch we certainly appreciated. And given that this is a Marriott property, I was particularly surprised at this gesture, which scored a few extra points in my book.

In short, it's a decent tourist class property, managed by people who actually seem to care. It would be confusing for me to give a four-star rating to a three-star establishment, but if you go in with realistic expectations, I think you'll be more than pleased with your stay.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Molly B, General Manager at Fairfield Inn Visalia, responded to this review, January 17, 2014
Dear Guest
What a great review. Thank you so much for taking the time to evaluate our hotel and share it with others. We love getting feeback! I am very happy you enjoyed your stay and that the service was great!

Been to Fairfield Inn Visalia? Share your experiences!