“Attractive hotel.Poor Bed” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #8 of 14 hotels in Visalia
Long Beach, California
“Attractive hotel.Poor Bed”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2013

Attractive hotel, nice room, upholstery, variety in breakfast, clean and neat room and toilet. Only con was the springy plush bed which moves when one of the partner toss and turn thereby disturbing the sleep.

Room Tip: we were on 1st floor room towards the back entrance and room was very quiet.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family

77 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Manila
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2013

I usually check reviews in TA before booking any accommodation. But in this case, I did not have the benefit of reading any review since driving fatigue made me decide to stop somewhere along Highway 99 instead of going all the way to a lodge in Kings Canyon NP. I grabbed a magazine with hotel coupons and saw the attractive rate advertised by Fairfield Inn in Visalia.

When we got into Visalia, traffic lights were off. Not a good start. Upon reaching the front desk, we were informed of a general power failure in the area. Bad omen. Do we stay or move on to another town? We stayed and we did not regret the decision.

When we got to our room, it was very clean and smelled nice. The expected amenities were there: flat screen TV, fridge, microwave, coffee maker, and a/c. The beds and pillows were comfortable. Complimentary wifi access was likewise available. There were only three towels in the bathroom though and had to ask for an extra.

The front desk staff was nice to offer each of us a complimentary pack snack during the blackout. Power was eventually restored after 30 minutes. We strolled outside the property and saw a Denny's and Pizza Hut nearby, plus a Texaco gas station.

We availed of the complimentary breakfast and was generally satisfied. The lady taking care of the dining area was super friendly and we did not experience any food item running out. The indoor pool looked inviting but we were in a hurry to reach Kings Canyon NP before lunch.

During our overnight stay, I don't remember having trouble with noise coming from guests in other rooms. Parking was also not an issue.

I appreciated receiving an email from the manager of the property apologizing for the power failure and assuring us of their promise to make our stay satisfying. For the coupon rate we paid, it was a wise decision for us not to go somewhere else.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Molly B, General Manager at Fairfield Inn Visalia, responded to this review, May 3, 2013
Thank you so much for your thoughtful comments. We are happy to know that the power outage did not cause to much inconvenience and that your stay was enjoyable. We hope to see you again in the future!
Lake Havasu City, Arizona
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2013

Staying at this hotel was the worst hotel experience we have ever had. We were in town for a convention and had reserved the room several months in advance. Unfortunately my husband made the mistake of paying for it in advance also. When we checked into the hotel we discovered that we had been given a Queen room rather than the King room we had reserved. We had the confirmation email with us clearing stating that we had reserved a king and showing it paid in full. The people at the front desk said that they couldn’t change us to the king room because they had no king rooms available. They also refused to refund the difference in price between the two rooms. We did not have time to find another hotel so we were forced to stay there. We soon discovered that the room had no closets so there was nowhere to hang anything. They offered to hang our clothes behind the front desk! I couldn’t believe it! The bathroom had no vanity. There was just an old-fashioned pedestal sink and nowhere to put our toiletries. The tub and shower were handicapped equipped and had a wooden seat across the tub and a very low hand held shower spray. The whole setup was much too small for me and even worse for my husband who is a big guy. Because of the wooden seat across the tub, the shower curtain couldn’t be adjusted properly and water would go all over the floor. The bathroom door would not stay open so we had to prop something against the door when we wanted it left open. On top of all that, several times when we came back to our room the room card wouldn’t work so we’d have to go back to the front desk again so we could get into our room. After such a bad experience we would never go back there nor would we ever recommend the hotel to anyone else.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Molly B, General Manager at Fairfield Inn Visalia, responded to this review, April 25, 2013
Dear Sharon
We are truly sorry you were unable to get your room type due to a long term group taking up all our kings during the time you came to visit Visalia. This was a special event weekend and we were completely sold out and unfortunately had to move some guests around. We appreciate the comments and being able to talk to you personally by phone. I believe through us working together we came up with an agreeable recovery.

Again, we are very sorry for your inconvenience and frustrations during your recent stay.
Buenos Aires, Argentina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2013

We were on a trip to Sequoia and we found in one of those routes books the Hotel cupon. As is was from Marriots we decided to come. Once here we found it was not only a great deal, but also has beautifull rooms, the lady that recived us in the reception was amazing, and the best of all, you feel in a 4 star hotel for the money of a motel.

By the way, the indoor swiming pool is not as warm as you would like it, but still great!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Molly B, Manager at Fairfield Inn Visalia, responded to this review, April 5, 2013
Thank you so much for your kind words. We are happy to hear you had an enjoyable stay and that the hotel and staff lived up to their Marriott Promises.
Shasta Lake, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2013

Clean room, polite staff, both a plus. On the down side, yes they do have thin walls but, we must have had quiet neighbors because that wasn't a problem. The housekeeping staff was very noisy leaning all her supplies up against my door waking me up each morning. Regardless, I would stay there again if I needed to because its clean. I would bring my own soap next time though;) the toiletries are slim to none and cheap. I was surprised at that. It's one of those things you take for granted. If you use the soap you will need lotion which they do not provide. The breakfast is typical of most complimentary breakfasts. It's a clean dining room though so that goes a long way with me. I was kind of offended though. We stayed during a special event which meant that we paid a fortune for the room. More than the maximum allowed on the posted rates. So....the day after the event when everything was getting back to normal, out came fresh strawberries and blueberries for the waffles! What's up with that? I would have been thrilled to have that everyday. Plus side, they do have raisins and walnuts for oatmeal. I love that! Linens and beds standard not plush. I'm guessing Fairfield Inns are bottom line for Marriott. No gym not even a treadmill. Currently no more hot tub. Not really suites, microwaves and refrigerators are not in most rooms.

Room Tip: If you want a frig. ask ahead of time they don't come standard.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Molly B, General Manager at Fairfield Inn Visalia, responded to this review, February 20, 2013
Dear Teresa H.
We appreciate your comments and I will review with my Housekeeping department regarding set ups in the morning around guest rooms. We are sorry for the inconvenience. We appreciate your business during the Special event of the World Ag Expo and hope you enjoyed the event.
Regards
Molly Bambl, GM
Belmont, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2013

We traveled to Visalia, CA for a 1-night trip from the San Francisco Bay Area. It was a bereavement trip so was unexpected. Normally, as Marriott owners, we stay at the Visalia Marriott which we would rate very high. But for this weekend we booked 2 rooms to accommodate another relative. We had stayed at the Fairfield several years back and we haven't stayed at Fairfield since then because we always remember how thin the walls were. That is what previous reviewers are commenting on. For this trip, we knew we would be gone most of the day/night so we simply brought our ear plugs and "geared" up.

The employees were excellent: from the front desk to the complimentary breakfast hostess. The room was very clean. We did face the front of the hotel (parking lot etc.) and our guests which had the other room faced the back. Hey, this is really a utility hotel so it will not have any resort views LOL!!! And we didn't expect any. The bottom line, is that if you need a room because you are at a sports tournament, or a quick turnaround trip, the Fairfield is great. It is nicely located and as previous reviewers have said, there is a Denny's on the same parking lot property and several other nearby eating places.

Once we put our ear plugs in, we were fine throughout the night. This was a Friday night so, of course, the rebel rousers were out. But we did fine.

Prior to putting in the earplugs, yes, the walls are very thin and Fairfield would actually do well to add some insulation to the walls--they do need it. But for the price paid, which included complimentary wi-fi and breakfast, you couldn't beat the price.

The downtown Marriott charges for wi-fi and there is not complimentary breakfast.

Bottom line is that this was nicely located, it was sufficient for our needs, had free wi-fi, a complimentary breakfast--which was adequate--bananas, yogurt, juices (we had no orange juice policing officer as previous mentioned--and if I was running out of OJ, I probably would have tried to conserve as much as I could for other customers as well i.e. previous reviewer), standard complimentary breakfast waffles, microwavable Jimmy Dean breakfast sandwiches, milk, cereals etc.

It did have an indoor heated swimming pool and a small fitness center and lots of free parking.

We rated it a three because it really is a utility hotel and we reserve 4s and 5s for higher end hotels. But the Fairfield will fit most of your needs well. We will stay there again in the future since we have relatives there. Because of this experience and the price, we will stay here in the future and reserve the downtown Marriott hotel for more special occasions or if we feel we need a real nice and quiet getaway in the area.

Room Tip: We like the top floor. If you want some greenery choose the back of the hotel. You don't get a...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Molly B, General Manager at Fairfield Inn Visalia, responded to this review, February 12, 2013
Dear JnKMM
I just wanted to thank you for your comments. I am happy to hear you did not have any negative experiences while you and your family were here. I hope next time you stay it will be under better conditions. We wish your family well!
Salem, Oregon
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2013

We stayed at this hotel 3 years ago while visiting family. This time, we were on the road for over 12 hours when we arrived for a multi-day stay. Despite everyone in my family being exhausted when we arrived, we had a miserable night's sleep due to the noise. My daughter commented on the fact that she could clearly hear car doors closing and we were on the third floor. What made matters even worse is the room was not adequately clean. As we loaded up the refrigerator we noted that it had a layer of dust on the fridge and the microwave. Finally, to the left of the shower head were a bunch of brown stains on the upper wall. Had we not been so tired we would have left that night but checked out first thing in the morning. Sad thing is that despite our having a multi-day reservation, when I told the clerk we were leaving, she never inquired as to why. I guess I should have told her our reasons for leaving but I figured if she didn't care, we would simply move on.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Molly B, General Manager at Fairfield Inn Visalia, responded to this review, January 11, 2013
Dear Kenny M.

We are so sorry we did not keep our promises to you and your family. I will pass along your comments to the hotel staff and make corrections as needed. We appreciate your comments and do hope that in the future you may give us another chance to provide you with great service and a great room!

Regards
Molly Bambl

Been to Fairfield Inn Visalia? Share your experiences!