“Average +” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #5 of 19 Hotels in Vallejo
Placerville
“Average +”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2013

This hotel definitely has a great location if you are planning on visiting Six Flags Amusement Park. It is directly across the street. The view from our second floor window was of all the colorful roller coasters, a first for us. The reason why I am giving it only an average + rating is because it seems like this place has seen better days. I assume it has to do with so many families and even young adults staying here for the Park. Even though it was clean, there were signs of wear and tear everywhere. We had reserved a non-smoking room, but noticed immediately when we walked into our room the smell of stale cigarette smoke. The window was wide open so we know they knew about it, but when I mentioned it to the staff the response I got was just "sorry for the inconvenience". I was even told that maybe it was the last guest who smoked and they left the window open. Hmmmm, I am pretty sure that we don't go into the rooms directly after the previous guests. That is suggesting that housekeeping doesn't clean the rooms between stays. Housekeeping would have seen the window open. Anyway, that was a bit annoying. We had reserved our room using an online hotel booking service and had chosen it to include breakfast. However, when we checked in it wasn't mentioned. My husband went down to ask them about it and they claimed we booked through a different reservation service and did not choose breakfast. In the end, they did step up and offer it to us, but it was just another thing to lower their rating. Breakfast included a made to your choice omelet bar, and a buffet of other breakfast foods. A bit better than your typical hotel breakfast. Overall, it was just a little above average, and good for one night stay. As far as it claiming to be in the Napa Valley...that is a little misleading since you have to drive thirty minutes to Napa...it really should advertise more that they are there for the Park and not Napa Valley. However, the rates are better than what you will find in Napa Valley, so if you don't mind the drive it's an okay choice.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Nader E, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Vallejo Napa Valley, responded to this review, April 16, 2013
As the hotel General Manager, I want to thank you for the detailed review of your recent stay at our hotel. Your feedback is very improtant to us and we appreciate it. The issues on the review regarding the smoke smell have been addressed to our Housekeeping team and specific actions have been put in place to avoid this issue re-occuring with any of our future guests. We strive to provide our guests with the best possible accommodations and services. We appreciate your commonts and your business.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2013

Browsing through the reviews after booking my room, I was skeptical. The neighborhood, the car break in incidents and just the overall ratings from other users made me start to regret my investment. I walked into the hotel with little expectations but boy was I surprised. The front desk was very friendly and helpful, Veronica helped me checked in, scheduled my shuttle, helped me pay for my Evans Shuttle fee. The room I checked into was very spacious, and up to date. There was a nice mini fridge (a good position inside a cabinet so there was no noise when the fridge was working, a flat screen tv (no flat panel), a coffeemaker, table, desk, chairs and a pull out couch. The bed was also amazing, spacious and the sheets were maintained very well. There was plenty of space around to put down my luggage and anything else. The bathroom was also very large, with a nice tub. I couldn't have asked for a better three star hotel for the price. There were plenty of additional amenities, such as iron/ironing board, coffee maker, minifridge, ice machine (dispenser not the ones you scoop), coin operated laundry machines if you feel like doing your own laundry (not too bad and the hotel provides you with detergents and such), fitness room with a lot of cardio machines, a pool/jacuzzi, shuttle service and restaurant/hotel. I was able to try the breakfast buffet and it was not too bad although for the price it can be a bit better. Oh yeah, I forgot my toothpaste, razor, shaving cream, etc. The hotel has complimentary toiletries, sweet.
The only caveat is the neighborhood as some guests have mentioned but that's Vallejo, you can't really expect anything like staying in a Hyatt in Times Square or something. I walked around the neighborhood, people are semi-friendly. I went to the park and interacted with some of the families there, little kids and their parents just trying to enjoy their community. I was lost at one point walking around and one lady walking to her car just casually greeted me, wished me a nice day and to be safe. You may feel a little intimidated in other areas but that's just some people giving the neighborhood a bad image. There are plenty of normal families like our own, trying to live with each other and those that aren't trying to live a normal blue collar life (people that want to be thugs and then cry about being discriminated against and not given the opportunity). Just stay near the hotel and ask the front desk for any recommendations and shuttle escort. Oh yeah, there is a Carl Jr and gas station right across the street, its convenient and decently priced. So if you want to avoid the hotel price for food, its a nice alternative.
Overall, I love the hotel itself and the staff. I think some of our members simply gave a lower rating because of the neighborhood which I feel the hotel/staff aren't at fault. Even the Vallejo police won't touch a typical 911 case like broken car window, shooting, etc. Its really the local government and some locals that give the area and the hotel a bad name.

Room Tip: Ask for the handicap room, its very spacious. But any room is good to be honest. They're all pre...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Nader E, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Vallejo Napa Valley, responded to this review, February 26, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to post your stay feedback and your positive experience at our hotel. My associates and I appreciate your detailed comments regarding the hotel accommodations and services. Your comments are very important to us and I share all the trip advisor comments with our team to continue enhancing our guest experience. We appreciate your business.
La Paz, Mexico
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

I recently returned from four nights and found this stay to be excellent. The room was spotless and met my expectations. The stay was definitely "off season" as this property is adjacent to an amusement park. And the only reason I didn't award "excellent" was the restaurant and bar shut down early.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
Thank you so much for posting your positive stay feedback. Your comments are very important to us and the restaurant and lounge operating hours will be reviewed to continue improving our guest experience. We appreciate your business.
San Diego, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

This is a Great place to stay because It is a 30 minute drives to some of my Favorite wineries in Napa and anCeros and It is close to my in-laws in Vallejo. Very reasonable rates! Breakfasts are fantastic and the staff is friendly and helpful.

Admittedly the neighborhood is iffy. I made sure there was nothing left in my car..GPS or cases of wine! I don't go to Six Flags, but it is well located! Also close to Costco for Gas and Cha Am Thai restaurant!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2013 via mobile

I stayed here earlier this week and it was clean although a little older, as other reviews have noted. It is located directly across from Six Flags, and was well priced for the region.
Unfortunately, though, it is located in a bad part of town. When I checked in, I stopped to get gas and something to eat across the street, and two people at the gas station were having a very animated conversation with a policeman about some incident. There were several people hanging around the parking lot, and it didn't feel safe. I thought about changing hotels but didn't, and now I wish I had.
The front desk person told me (when I asked) that they had a security person patrolling the parking lot all night long. Unfortunately, after the security person left in the morning, someone smashed my car window and stole a suitcase and 3 duffle bags from my car. This was between 8 am and noon. I was parked near the entrance, but they broke the driver's rear window which was on the side away fom the building.
The hotel was really nice and helped me figure out how to get the window replaced, and also vacuumed up all of the glass for me as well as taped up the window until I could get it fixed. They also gave me my 2nd night's stay for free.
The police department did not send anyone out to take a report - apparently they just have you file a report online for theft in Vallejo. The process worked fine, but I don't think there's any hope of getting my stuff back. I did drive around the nighborhood a bit to see if my bags had been tossed somewhere, but the more I drove, the scarier the neighborhood became.
The guys at the glass place said that they get a lot of business from this area - I think more signs, some security cameras and more safeguards are needed at this hotel.

Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
Los Angeles, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2012

The rooms are tired and the bathrooms need an overhaul. I would have worn flip flops in the shower if I had some. We grabbed a quick bite & cocktail in the evening. All of our orders came out at different times and very slow. The server was MIA for the periods of time in between.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012

If you are traveling to the Wine Country on a budget, this is an ideal location. It is about 15 miles to Napa, and 25 to Sonoma. Avoid peak traffic times with advance planning & research. This is a renovated older property, but it is an excellent value. We were able to get a suite, and it was very comfortable. Having stayed here several times, and finding the only problem to be the restaurant, our plan was to avoid it; however, it was the convenient thing to do for breakfast. This visit, we were pleasantly surprised with good service, and good food. The staff was very well trained, and the Manager was exceptionally friendly, and helpful. We had an excellent stay.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Nader E, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Vallejo Napa Valley, responded to this review, November 18, 2012
Thank you for your positive feedback regarding your stay and your kind comments regarding our hotel associates. We appreciate it and we will continue to enhance our stay value for our guests visiting Napa Valley and the Wine Country. We appreciate your business.

Been to Courtyard by Marriott Vallejo Napa Valley? Share your experiences!