“Not nearly as good as it used to be.” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 18 attractions in Vallejo
Type: Amusement/ Theme Parks, Nature/ Wildlife Areas
More attraction details
Attraction Details
Owner description: America's only combination theme park, oceanarium and wildlife park features zany "Zonga," a twisted mega-coaster with four full-circle, tilt-loop inversions.
Springfield, Missouri, United States
“Not nearly as good as it used to be.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2012

Back in 1992, Marine World/Africa USA was one of my favorite parks. At that time, I lived in Monterey, CA, and whenever friends or relatives from out of state would visit, I would insist that they saw the park. Such would not be the case today. I've lived in the mid-west since the late '90s, so when I made a trip to Sacramento last week to visit my girlfriend and her 16-year-old daughter, I looked forward to introducing them to the park (now called Six Flags Discovery Kingdom). I was quite disappointed.
For the three of us to park and enter the gate (with tickets bought online in advance), the cost for the three of us was $150, which really isn't terrible when compared with the cost of other theme parks. Once inside, you can count on paying $5 for a soda, $5 for a small ice cream cone, and $12-$15 for a plate of food. Those are terrible prices, but commensurate with other theme parks. (Oh, we went on a Saturday, and there was a healthy line--30-40 minutes--for every eating establishment, so plan accordingly.) My primary complaints, however, are about the cleanliness of the park (which was poor, even by carnival standards) and the customer service (you were lucky if you received a blank stare and an uninspired "May I help you?).
If you have a large family, you may find it hard to navigate the park in one day. I would recommend taking 10 minutes upon entering the park to plan your day (as the showtimes for the animal shows vary): Pick out the major shows you want to see, and then fill in the time around those shows by taking in a ride or visiting one of the many "walk through" animal exhibits. (Unless you fork-over the extra money to get a "Flash Pass," you probably won't have time to squeeze in more than one ride between showtimes.) The dolphin show and the tiger show are must-sees. Back in the early '90s the killer whale show was also a must-see, but they do not appear to have a killer whale exhibit anymore (though the stadium still remains).
One final note about the gift shops: Their prices were not as exorbitantly priced as one might think. If desired, you could easily pick up a memento in the $15-$20 range.
All in all, I'd say low expectations are the key to a good day at this park.

Visited October 2012

Sacramento, California, United States
32 attraction reviews
“Best Six Flags we've been to!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2012 via mobile

Visited the park as a family of four. Two kids age 4 & 7. Plenty of rides for them to go on, great shows and family friendly areas. Pros: you get a little bit of everything, zoo, aquatic animals and rides. Great kiddie areas w/mild rides and play areas suitable for the 8-9 and under crowd. Plenty of opportunities to do once in a lifetime things, we rode an elephant! There is also swimming w/the dolphins, taking pictures w/sea lions and feeding girrafes. Shows are kid friendly and lots of restrooms that were pretty clean. Cons: food. Yes its expensive but to me thats to be expected at a them park but there are no nutritious options at all. I mean not a fruit or veggie available! Not even juice, just all fountain drinks. Disappointing! Another con is that they place showtimes too close together, there is no way you can walk from one end of the park in time! But with that being said we got season passes, same price as two visits and free parking. My kids loved it and we can't wait to go back during Christmas!

Oregon
3 attraction reviews
“Lots of Coasters”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2012

If you a roller coaster nut, this is the palce for you, for at least a day or so. But the animal shows were really the best part of our day there. We got to see a tiger swimming underwater. And it seems like the animals are happier than in the usual zoo environment, although, how would I know. As you might expect the food was expensive but reasonable quality with lots of options.

Visited August 2012
Copenhagen, Denmark
15 attraction reviews
“Very disappointing if you only go there to see the animals and the shows”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2012 via mobile

If you do not like riding roller coasters don't go there - every thing els is very disappointing.
My husband was in the park about 18 years ago and he told me how wonderful every thing was at that time with many, many animals and several fantastic shows, but nothing of it is left.
Because it is so expensive - parking and entrance 128$ for 2 (with a little coupon discount) we had great expectations.
At first there is a very long way to walk from the parking lot to the entrance, and we saw no train as we arrived and got no information about it.
We got at map for the park but it wasn't very helpful.
There are now only a few animals left compered to earlier times and the facilities for the animals isn't ok.
Signs telling what you see is missing, especially by the reptiles, and more cages/areas were closed.
We saw more of the shows but only the dolphin show was really good and fun.
We had the impression that it all was made only to get money out of people.
We won't recommend this park to anyone if it is not because of the roller coasters.

Antioch, California
4 attraction reviews
“Six Flags FUN.....”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2012

This is the first time we took the kids....We all had a GREAT time...I was picked to help with the Dolphin Show ( a dream come true ) and the trainers were GREAT , you can tell they loved there jobs and the dolphins...Workers would answer any question and were happy to help...Food was not that expensive ( a plus ) we bought the 2012-2013 season pass , they have a deal..You pay a small amount ( about $30 ) now and then only $20 every month until its paid off...For us its easier to afford the small monthly payment then the big upfront charge...The only complaint is that the parking is WAY TOO far from the park...Make sure to wait for the shuttle, its worth the small wait time.HAVE FUN

Visited September 2012