“Quite Nice” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #4 of 4 Hotels in Union City
PAINESVILLE
“Quite Nice”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2014 via mobile

The hotel is located in a good convenience location for our business work. In general, the hotel is good. The rooms are well furnished and clean, however, many of the furnishing and carpets have aged significantly. Upon arrival, we were greeted by the front desk and he was good and a touch of sincerity with a letter of membership given to me. The settings of the hotel was beautiful with a nice garden in the middle of the hotel. Overall, the stay was good.

Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Silicon Valley North/Union City, responded to this review, May 17, 2014
Dear HOANG P,

Thank you for being an IHG Rewards Club member and for leaving us a feedback. We certainly do our utmost to make your stay comfortable and pleasant, so we are very pleased to note that you were satisfied with the level of service, clean rooms and the location of the hotel. It encourages our team members to work even harder and consistently delight our guests. Your patronage and support to the hotel is very important to us and we look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Lera P
IHGCare

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
Big Bear City, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2014

Our stay here was fabulous. The room was beautiful, clean and fresh. Check in and out were very quick and simple the front desk staff were very polite and helpful. On our departure one of the staff members had been vacuuming the hallway and my little sons ages 2 and 3 got scared. Loud noises have a tendency to upset them. The wonderful woman quickly shut off the vacuum and walked away from us with the vacuum when she realized they were upset. I was so appreciative to her attentiveness to my little ones. I only had two issues one being that the house phones did not work and when I called the front desk from my cell I was put on hold and hung up on. My fiance walked to the front desk and notified the lady that she had hung up on me she apologized and comped our breakfast the following morning. Breakfast was lovely and filling. The second is that the wi fi wasn't that great. I was aware of the technical issues prior to our departure so it really wasn't that big of a deal. The beds and atmosphere were so confortable.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Richmod, VA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2014

Run down pretty much says it all. Front desk was competent, restaurant was ok, but room was very much in need of a refurb. Tub is rusty, and rusted completely through on an outside corner. Room had a bit of a smell.

As is often the case with the IHG properties, hotel to hotel the variations can be huge, even within the same brand. I switched to IHG a couple of years ago from Hilton after changing jobs, and have been underwhelmed. I am a platinum level IHG , and find it interesting how seldom I am asked for a review by IHG for the many run down properties (I AM typically asked for a review if the property is in good shape)

Room Tip: pick another hotel
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Silicon Valley North/Union City, responded to this review, March 25, 2014
Dear Davis G,

Ben J
San Diego, California, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2014

Booked this hotel because it was close to a business meeting I had in the morning. Everything started great. Front desk staff was very welcoming. 1st problem, key card was tricky and didn't really want to work in the entrance to the back lobby. Upon entering the room a wave of mold and smoke smell (in a non smoking room) hit our senses very hard and I immediately started to sneeze. Was tired from a long trip we decided to give the hotel restaurant a try.....BIG MISTAKE!!!!!!!! We ordered the Calamari appetizer, frozen grocery store Calamari w/canned sauce. I ordered the Chicken Burger sandwich wrapped in lettuce w/fresh? fruit. GROSS! Rock hard chicken with cheese, avocado and bacon...dry as your grandmas bones. Asked if this should come with some kind of sauce and the waitress said no, do you want honey mustard sauce? I said yes please but it didn't help. My husband had the seafood pasta and it was completely inedible. So over spiced (I guess to make up for almost no seafood) that I almost choked on it.
Now for the good stuff. As we were drifting off to sleep I heard a knock on the door. I actually thought it was next door so I did not pay attention to it. 2nd knock....I go to get the door and someone is entering my room!!!!! YIKES!!! Thank god I had the security latch on because this dude would have been in my room! I said excuse me?? He said "Oh I thought this was my friends room". I was so shocked I didn't even know what to say except this is not your friends room and why are you trying to get in? He took off. Here is my question, how on earth could he have a key to my room? Another weird thing, my phone showed line 1 active but I could not get a dial tone or get that light to go off (possibly being listened to?) The other phone also did not work...I used my cell to call the front dest to tell them what happened. No answer.....wait 10 minutes and finally they answer. Guess what, they said I could leave a message for the manager...... WHAT THE???? I will not be sleeping very well tonight. Let the front desk guy have a piece of my mind but I am sure it will change nothing.....NEVER EVER STAY HERE!!!

Room Tip: None but make sure your safety latch is on!!
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Silicon Valley North/Union City, responded to this review, February 28, 2014
Dear Eve S,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of our property. Please accept our sincerest apology for the over-all experience you had and any inconvenience you may have encountered that did not live up to your expectations. We have sent you a private message to obtain some additional details. Thank you for staying and we look forward to hearing from you soon.

Anthony M
Singapore
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2014 via mobile

This is certainly my worst hotel experience in the US. This hotel is located in the middle of nowhere. Hotel rooms are aged. When I just checked in to my room, there is a bad cigarette smell in it that just doesn't go away. Things appear to be falling apart everywhere. My bathroom light was flickering non stop like a disco light when I arrived. I called the attendant and just before the repairman reached, the light went back to normal. The repairman was obviously upset to see a no-problem light while he reached and was reluctant to go away as if I am supposed to tip him for doing nothing. Besides, the door ironmongery was so rusty, the heater in my room doesn't work, wallpapers are peeling off, and there are no light switches near the door. One must go to individual light fittings in darkness to turn them on.

Our horrible experience ended with a finale that ruins it even further. We have travelled across Europe, Asia, Australia, South Africa, New Zealand and stayed at hundreds of hotels and NO ONE HOTEL, including hotels in Las Vegas and LA, has ever stopped us from eating our own Asian instant cup noodles in the cafe during morning buffet. The female staff in Crowne Plaza hotel was so aggressive when she saw our instant cup noodles and demanded us to have it outside the cafe because they are not food prepared by the cafe. Bear in mind that we always clear our own mess and we have valid buffet tickets just like everyone else. Also they are just cup noodles it is not like we brought in our own turkey or a pork knuckle. Our tour guide explained to the cafe staff how Asians are not used to having western breakfast, especially seeing the same stuff everyday in a long trip, and it is extremely common they bring their own noodles but they just refused to listen. Besides, the breakfast buffet selection offered by the cafe was pathetic, only very few items were available.

Asians or not, I do not recommend anyone staying in this hotel.

• Stayed February 2014
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Silicon Valley North/Union City, responded to this review, February 23, 2014
Dear duriantea,

Thank you for your review about your stay. It is truly unfortunate to see that you did not fully enjoy your time at the hotel. We take comments such as these very seriously. We have sent you a private message addressing your concerns.

Dhan M
Sacramento, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2014

I have stayed in the hotel many times in the past year. Rooms are comfortable in the tower but, other 1-3 floors are noisy and hall ways are cold as they don't close windows or inner doorways.
First floor sometimes has a consistent moldy odor. Beds are comfortable, some rooms smaller than other some spacious. My big complaint is intermittent internet, and cell phone strength is very poor to non existent. Compared to other Crown Plazas this is much older and in need of upgrade. Restaurant and bar is staffs are very good. Limited menu sometimes with outages a problem. Room service is good and ontime, but not always prepared properly. Breakfast buffet is better than most with properly prepared Scrambled eggs, sausage and bacon and usually another entrée, with rolls, fruit, juices, coffee, and drinks. Oatmeal and cold cereals. and much more.

Room Tip: order early as they sell out. last minutes seems to be awfully priced and not a good value.
Green Features: Not sure they have any other than usage or linens and bedding.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
CP94587, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Silicon Valley North/Union City, responded to this review, January 30, 2014
Thank you for your review concerning your recent stay with us. Thank you as well for taking the time to point out to us your observations and experiences during your stay. Please accept my apologies for your less than satisfactory stay especially with our internet and phone reception. We are working on upgrading our internet service, we are also working with cell services provider to fix this issue. I truly hope that you will consider giving us another opportunity to prove to you that we deliver a much better experience than what you had. You are more than welcome to reach out to me to assist you with a future reservation. Please accept my apologies and I thank you for your business. Best Regards,
Chadi Guirguis
Woodbridge, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2014

We traveled with a group that set this up in advance. If I had researched this I would have stayed at the motel 6 down the road. First, when we went to the main door to our wing, the lock had been torn off and did not work. We had to go to another door to enter - that door was propped open.
Second, our room smelled of mold, the curtains were threadbare and there was no light switch to turn on the light you had to walk to the bed and turn on the light there. We were given 2 bath towels 1 wash rag and 1 hand towel, when we requested more nothing ever happened. There was no towel rack in the bathroom, there was mold growing on the shower walls and the tub was cracked and leaked all over the bathroom. We had a coffee pot but no cups. When we left the next morning there was a homeless guy sleeping by the outside door.
On a positive note the bed mattress was comfortable and they gave us six pillows. Mainly to hide the old headboard attached to the wall.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
CP94587, Manager at Crowne Plaza Silicon Valley North/Union City, responded to this review, January 22, 2014
Thank you for your review concerning your recent stay with us. Thank you as well for taking the time to point out to us your observations and experiences during that stay. As you know we strive to maintain high cleanliness/condition standards and I was saddened by your experience, in particular that it was a cleanliness/condition issue. Pease accept my apologies for your less than satisfactory stay. We are implementing a new training program for our housekeeping department to meet brand standard. As I do not feel your stay was indicative of the service we generally normally provide, I truly hope that you will consider giving us another opportunity to prove to you that we deliver a much better experience than what you had. You are more than welcome to reach out to me to assist you with a future reservation. Please accept my apologies and I thank you for your business.
Best Regards,

Chadi Guirguis

Been to Crowne Plaza Silicon Valley North/Union City? Share your experiences!