“There is not Crown for this place” 2 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save 10-30%
Ranked #4 of 4 Hotels in Union City
Chicago, IL
“There is not Crown for this place”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2012

What a shame the the Intercontinental Hotel Family would include this dump in their hotel system. It is a Day's In dressed in maroon color with a plastic crown.

It is far from Oakland (1.5 hour drive to UC Berkeley). The room is crummy. Service is bad. We checked in and found 0 bath towels in the bathroom. It took us 4-5 calls to the front desk to get the towels.

WiFi is free.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Silicon Valley North/Union City, responded to this review, July 25, 2012
Dear Chuck_In_Chicago,

Thank you for your feedback. We take our guest comments very seriously and always strive to provide comfortable and friendly accommodations. We’re sorry you received bad service from our staff and for the lack of towels during your stay. We hope you give us a chance in the future to show you how great our hotel is.

Orlando A.
IHGCare

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
Boden, Sweden
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2012 via mobile

This hotel is In limbo.
It seems like the management are trying hard to fix the surfaces using carpenters - but there are several other issues that needs to be taken care of:
- The restaurant is boring, the menu below standard, the cook should go somewhere to get new inspiration and the restaurant staff doesn't really put in that little extra effort...
- The rooms are okay - but our room hade a hidden major water leakage that hade poured water all the way through the wall to the next room. I guess that there are a lot of mould under the VERY wet carpet...
- Low internet speed and terrible TV-signal quality

On the pro side:
- Nice goodie bag upon arrival
- Very friendly and professional staff at the front desk
- The lounge is cool and cozy
- Easy to find and quite close to a large shopping area

Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Silicon Valley North/Union City, responded to this review, July 20, 2012
Dear peji70,

Thank you so much for your review of our hotel. I am pleased you have acknowledged the services of our staff. I would like to apologize if you did not find our restaurant services to your liking. We take all reviews positive and negative very seriously, and your feedback will help us improve for our next guest or your next visit.

Pam G.
Tucson, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2012

From the moment I walked in the door to the Crowne Plaza until I checked out the following morning, I loved every minute! I was exhausted when I checked in--it must have been about 10:30pm after a long day. The greeting at the Front Desk was so pleasant, and I was even given a welcome basket to take to my room with assorted goodies to enjoy. A very nice person actually went to my car and brought in my heavy bags for me! The room was large and open, very comfortable! Everything was great! The room included a free buffet breakfast! Wow!

Thank you again to Crowne Plaza Oakland in Union City, CA! I truly needed pampering that night, and was so pleasantly surprised to receive it!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
Kailua, Hawaii
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2012

We Hotwired a stay here for the night of May 9th, 2012. We were exhausted after driving
for many hours from Southern California and arrived late. Dropped into bed and woke at
6:00 to find our sheets covered in blood spots. I immediately called the front desk and
when I asked what they were doing about the bedbugs the man said "we move our guests
to another room". As we were on our way to an early flight out of Oakland I demanded that
the hotel manager call me upon my return to my home in Hawaii. He did not call but an
assistant did. He said I should put in for a refund to Hotwire and when Hotwire called them
he would okay it. He also said that they depended upon the people checking into the rooms
to tell them if there were bedbugs....rather like the canary in the mine approach. Hotwire gave
me our money back as well as a $25 credit to be used for a future booking. I again demanded
that the manager call me...it is now 5/26/12 and he never has. Do not stay in the
Hotel. Certainly they know where the bugs are...when the maids do the rooms they can
see the large blood spots all over the sheets. Also note, as I checked in the woman on duty said
"we have frogs". They have lots of frogs so windows must be closed as they are very loud.
Noelle. Kona Hawaii

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Silicon Valley North/Union City, responded to this review, June 12, 2012
Dear noelleharrott,

Thank you for bringing this to our attention. We take comments such as these very serious and would like to follow up with you. We have sent you a private message in effort to obtain more information. I look forward to hearing back from you very soon.

Katie J
Miami, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2012

Stayed here twice. Room looks decent, but one of them really really stunk like it has never been aired out. Thankfully the window was really flimsy, so although it had a stop so you can only open it a few inches, I was able to remove the whole pane and air out the room. The bathroom had peeling paint on the ceiling and a towel rack that was about to fall off. The furniture is modern and clean, the pillows nice and fluffy, so no problems there. No fridge in the rooms. Wifi works well.

Room Tip: Some rooms on upper floors look to the freeway, could be noisy. On the other hand, by the pool it i...
Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Silicon Valley North/Union City, responded to this review, June 29, 2012
Dear BalageTravels,

Thank you for writing a review about your recent stay with us. We are pleased to hear that you liked the pillows, WiFi, and cleanliness of your room. We're sorry you were not fully satisfied with the conditions of your bathroom. As our valued guest, your feedback will surely be looked into and be forwarded to the appropriate departments.

Again, thank you for staying with us and taking the time to give feedback.

Anthony M
A TripAdvisor Member
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2012

This was the worst place to stay. The bed was hard as a rock, the pillows were about an 2 inches thick not when you press down, normal. Nasty carpet, the room was wrenched with smoke even thou I knew it was a smoke room but DAM it's like it has never been aired or cleaned.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled on business

Review collected in partnership with cheaprooms.com

IHGCare, Guest Relations Case Manager at Crowne Plaza Silicon Valley North/Union City, responded to this review, April 26, 2012
Dear guest:

Thank you for taking time out of your busy day to leave us a candid review. I would like to offer a sincere apology. While we understand that your stay was not 100% satisfactory, we would hope that you would give us another chance to make your stay as best as it can be.

^Katie
Jersey City, New Jersey
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2012

The Crown Plaza was not bad in any way but nothing really jumps out to that makes it stand out. We did get a free beer coupon each day which is nice but as a Platinum Member with Holiday Inn, you expect at least a free cocktail. It is located right over the free-way for a mall which was nice with may restaurants, I would avoid the Rib Joint. I have had moister ribs and steaks at the Golden Corral. But I digress the Hotel was fine, the rooms are a little cramped, they kind of shoe-horn in some chairs that they didn't really need. But the complimentary breakfast was nice except the place is or was each day overrun by tourist buses and most it was like it was these people had never seen a buffet before, but that is not really the Hotels issue.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Silicon Valley North/Union City, responded to this review, May 6, 2012
Duck0830,

Thank you for your feedback. We take our guest comments very seriously and always strive to provide comfortable and friendly accommodations. We’re sorry you were not fully satisfied with the accommodations received. We hope that you give us a chance in the future to show you how great our hotel is.

Ben J
IHG Care

Been to Crowne Plaza Silicon Valley North/Union City? Share your experiences!