“Nice Dam on lake for run and walk around” 4 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #7 of 16 things to do in Ukiah
Activities: Fishing, Picnicking, Hiking, Viewing wildlife, Swimming
More attraction details
Owner description: Lake Mendocino is located in the northern coast range of California where redwood forests meet the wine country. Created by the construction of Coyote Dam on the East Fork of the Russian River in 1958. The dam, built and maintained by the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers provides flood damage reduction, water conservation, and hydroelectric power. The lake also provides many recreation opportunities.
Milpitas, California
5 attraction reviews
“Nice Dam on lake for run and walk around”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

There is island and dam over the lake, for running, fishing, swimming. I went their early morning for a run, very nice place.

Visited August 2013

Ventura, California
4 attraction reviews
“Bu-Shay Campground at Lake Mendocino”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2013

We stayed one night at this lake campground on our way through Ukiah. The lake is beautiful although we did not put our feet in it. Bu-Shay Campground is not really lakeside, but more elevated within a short hike. We could hear watercraft, but could not see them. Some campers towed boats through the campground but had to launch from the other side of the lake, not from Bu-Shay.

It was pleasant staying in site #19 of the campground on a warm July evening. The site was a fairly-level back in site long enough that we did not need to disconnect our trailer from our long bed pickup truck. We were blessed with a magnificent starry sky and observed 15 satellites in one hour. Wow!

There were a few noisy campers in the campground. Why do little girls always scream?

Bu-Shay has showers and flush toilets. I was able to wash and blow dry my hair in the morning before we left. WooHoo! A woman's gotta do what a woman's gotta do!

My only reservation is to beware of the abundance of poison oak around the campground and other areas around the lake. There is a lot amongst the campsite foliage. Tell Rover, too.

Visited July 2013
albany
10 attraction reviews
“Happy Campers.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2013

We camped for two nights and we already love the place. The lake was a little warm since it is summer and it is perfect for my kids to splash around the water. The scenery was beautiful and the trail was absolutely well taking cared. We are so surprised that they have a Disc Golf Course which my son loves to play for the first time. The camping site was great, you can put up at least 3 regular size tents and will allow you to park two cars beside your camp site. Just don't like the idea of not having park rangers during the night and we heard that burglars are stepping in. Their showers and toilets are separated and it is clean and spacious inside. We are happy campers and my family will come back here again maybe for just hanging around by the lake or playing Disc Golf and Hiking. Overall it is a cool experienced for my kids.

Visited July 2013
Ukiah, California
11 attraction reviews
“Great location for walkers!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

Beautiful location with a lot of options for walkers! Scenic lake view; plenty of parking. Boaters galore. Enjoyed the sunshine. Friendly people.

Visited May 2013
Fortuna, California
5 attraction reviews
“Great place to sail my Hobie Adventure Island Tandem kayka”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2013

Camped at the Lake overnight over 25 years ago when the kids were young. My wife and I have been driving by the Lake on Highway 20 on our way to the Valley for the past 20 years but have not stopped until this April (2013). I brought and sailed my Hobie Adventure Island tandem for about 6 hours even in the light winds on a Sunday. It was a nice day with a scattering of fishing vessels and few water skiers on the water. It was a enjoyable sailing day. This was my first outing in the boat in fresh water (much warmer water then the Pacific ocean which I am accustomed) and it was very enjoyable. I explored the entire lake and next time I will bring my fishing poles. No sharks, seals or whales were sighted, but people were catching nice trout.

Visited April 2013