“Nice Hotel at a Good Price” 3 of 5 stars

Discovery Inn
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1340 North State Street, Ukiah, CA 95482   |
Ranked #15 of 15 hotels in Ukiah
Sacramento, California
“Nice Hotel at a Good Price”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2011

We stayed on July 23rd, 2011. We're a couple from Sacramento. The room we had was on the first floor, one queen bed. The room was spacious, it had a table w/2 comfortable chairs. There was a microwave & minifridge. The minifridge wasn't super small like some places, it would have been great for a couple of cases of soda, and snacks there was a (VERY small) freezer on top inside it would have fit 2 boxes of hotpockets laying down side by side. We could hear our neighbors open and close their door but that was all the outside noise we could hear. The AC kept the room nice and cool without any odor. The bed was firm, but the pillows lumpy. The bathroom was small with a shower (no bath) and a toilet, the dressing area (mirror & sink) was big. They had a complementary coffee maker and an iron w/full size ironing board. Some of the reviews said the hotel is older and needs to be renovated. I didn't thinks so, it's not a five star hotel...hello. The young woman at the front desk was nice. I didn't care for the hot tubs, they're good size hot tubs (4-2 seat like 4 people, 1seats like 12, and the 4th one was closed but looked like it'd seat maybe 6-8) now, we went in about 10ish & there were people in all the hot tubs, several kids, young kids under 10. One of the wonderful parents was allowing their daughter to run and jump into the hot tub splashing everyone & not at all concerned about her safety (she was about 5) so that sucked, maybe atleast one of the hot tubs should be adult only? Or maybe no children after 9...the best solution would be respectful parents that discipline their kids. Ok, so not the hotels fault on that one. The hot tubs have tile seats so they felt a bit on the slimy side, gross...we didn't stay long between the slimy seats & splashing kid we excused ourselves rather quickly. Over all it was a nice place. The free breakfast is okay. Jensens is the local diner though, good prices good food. Across the street is a Raleys, Dollar Tree and a Kragens. It's very nice to be close to the lake. The people are friendly...I would stay here again.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family

87 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2011

We checked in late at night after a very long drive, with two sleepy toddlers, and that was the only reason I didn't immediately tell them the room was unacceptable and run the risk of having to find somewhere else to stay. The room was filthy. Crud on the walls, gum on the chair, exposed wiring, a broken tub, exposed wiring on the wall, and an energetic earwig scuttling across the pillow when I turned down the bedcover. Next door, dogs barked all night, and there were screams and shouts that sounded loudly through the paperthin walls. It was truly frightening and I couldn't understand how they were charging the money they did for such a crackhouse. When we went down to breakfast, it was so crowded that there was no room to sit (they serve it in a tiny room off the tiny lobby, with nowhere near enough room for the large number of guests that the motel accommodates, and we had to go elsewhere for breakfast, adding quite a bit to the cost of the stay.

The next day I told them we needed a decent room, and it turned out that the online reservation I'd made had somehow marked us as a family with pets who needed a pet-friendly room - hence our assignment to what looked like a kennel! So after some back-and-forth, the confusion was eliminated, and we were transferred to a perfectly reasonable motel room that seemed clean enough and was comfortable and quiet. If that had been the only room we'd gotten, or if they'd comped the first one, I'd have given this place 3 or 4 stars.

Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Fort Bragg, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2011

we were there with a group of people and kids for a sporting event. we check in go to our rooms my room is still dirty,another moms room had people in it.my room did not lock , you didnt need a key to get in, we left the room to go to the kids game came back and our door was wide open, and i closed it.we had people next to us that lived there, and kept us up all night,and there was strange people walking all around th eplace it was creepy, we will never stay there again.and it was filthy,nasty dont go there

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
USA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2011

this place is a worn out 80s place... the rooms smell, the heaters dont work well, and I would never stay here again. It is worth about 35 a night max.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled on business
San Diego, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2010

Ukiah was the half way point on our road trip in Northern Ca.,we are very glad we stopped at the Discovery inn. Top of the line customer service, excellent restaraunt, activity suggestions.We had a great time using your spa room, and the olimpic size pool kept the kids busy for hours. Beautifully landscaped property, craved statues, running water ways. Absolutely wonderful, we will be back.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with family
Redding, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2010

I really wish I brought my bathing suit. They had an indoor hottub room.The room was clean and they accept AAA for a decent discount. I might also note, there is a pretty cool wood scultpture theme throughout the property.Kinda neet for $80.00.

Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple
Capistrano Beach, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2010

The room was very good for me and my dog, with a king sized bed and a mini fridge and a good air conditioner, which was an absolute must because it was at least 90 degrees outside when I woke up at 7AM. The hotel has a great breakfast, friendly staff and they have pretty competitive rates. They also have a very nice pool area judging by how many people were enjoying themselves out there. Could have been the 100+ degree weather though. The only thing I didn't like was that at first my room was very hot and musty and smelled like weed (non-smoking means nothing I guess) but I ran the AC for a half hour and was extremely comfortable after that. I wasn't too impressed with the town of Ukiah. I tried to go to a laundromat in town but decided against it because there were a bunch of people that looked like gang members hanging outside and several cop cars were driving back and forth down the main street like they were expecting something bad to happen. Also I think I mentioned that it's extremely hot in July which didn't really make me want to do too much exploring. But if you are passing through and need a place to stay, here's your hotel right off the 101.

• Stayed July 2010

Been to Discovery Inn? Share your experiences!