“Great Whites!” 5 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #1 of 16 things to do in Ukiah
More attraction details
Owner description: One of the most beautiful family owned ranches in Mendocino County. Over 2000 acres with spectacular views of the vineyards, Bartlett pear orchards, Olive Trees, Redwood Grove, and 200 year old Oaks makes this one of the most desired stops for wine and nature enthusiasts. We invite you to visit our tasting room where you can experience the passion you will only find in a family owned boutique winery.
Los Angeles, California, United States
9 attraction reviews
“Great Whites!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2013

My husband and I spent a lovely afternoon sampling some good wine. The sparkling white and chardonnay were very good, and I am very picky about my champagne and don't usually like chardonnays. The ladies hosting the tasting room were very friendly. The grounds were beautiful. Well worth the stop.

Visited March 2013

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
12 attraction reviews
“Beautiful Family Owned Winery”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2012

Down a small road to the vineyard. Flowers and beautiful landscaping. Nice intimate tasting room. Nice offerings of wine served in great glasses. Charge of $5 pp but waived with purchase. We did by a cab that was very good. My husband also bought a hat with the vineyards logo. A very nice first stop on a trip to CA. The whole experice was warm, friendly and informative. No snobbery. You can tell the folks here love what they do and enjoy talking to visitors.

Visited October 2012
Willits, California
16 attraction reviews
“Nice Family Owned Winery”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

We are wine club members for the Nelson Family Vineyards. They are so friendly and their wines are delicious. Sitting outside in the redwood grove is just the best.

Visited September 2012
“Wonderful!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2012

Went up the dirt road to a really nice tasting room. Our pourer made the tasting a real pleasure. She was a delight and a lot of fun. The wine was excellent. Would recommend a stop here. Ended up with 2 bottles of wine to pair with the oysters we are on the way to buy. Will definitely stop here again!

California
29 attraction reviews
“Sights, sounds, breathtaking?”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2012

We turned off the highway onto a dirt road, past a little shack selling strawberries. I told my husband it was suppose to be a beautiful setting. If it didn't say Nelson Family Vineyards on the two bottles of wine and glasses we bought, I would say we were in the wrong place. We parked in the small parking area. The area looked run down and unkept. Maybe the pretty area was located elsewhere.

The tasting room was clean and small. The gal who helped us was welcoming and personable. The wine will run $25-$28 per bottle. Tasting fee is $5 per person and is waived if you buy wine.

Now with that said, the wine is very good. I only tried the Pinot Noir, Zinfandel, and the Barn Blend. My husband really liked the Zin---I was torn between the Pinot Noir and the Barn Blend. I ended up getting the Barn Blend, as it is smooth and easy to drink and would be pleasing to anyone you served it to. So, we were happy with our purchases and would stop by again. Next time we will ask where the area is that is reflected in the photos by other visitors.

Visited July 2012
Sherrilynn O, Manager at Nelson Family Vineyards, responded to this review, July 26, 2012
I appreciate you taking time to write a review about your experience visiting our family owned winery in Mendocino County. Nelson Family Vineyards is a boutique winery that has been in the family since 1951. The tasting room is located in the family home and we believe most visitors appreciate the fact that it is small, charming, and part of our family history. You have made a valid point regarding our gardens and entrance. We have been extremely busy in the vineyards and winery and have allowed our gardening to be put on the back burner, and to our displeasure, it shows. I am however happy to report that we have taken your comments to heart and have done a little makeover. I hope you are able to enjoy the improvements the next time you pass through the area.