“Best seafood in town!” 5 of 5 stars

Good for: Families with children
Santa Ana, CA USA
“Best seafood in town!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2011

If you like really good seafood prepared over an open grill, The Crab Cooker is the place to go! It's long been a favorite of mine through the years. The original restaurant is still in Newport Beach,CA, but I was thrilled when they opened a second place in Tustin. Be warned: It is very casual dining with food served on paper plates with plastic utensils.

• Visited September 2011
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Del Mar, California
“Very good grilled seafood”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2011

Have been coming here for years for grilled fish and have never been disappointed. The fish is cooker over a wood fired grill and it is very good. They also do a great job of smoking fish, which you can get as an appetizer. It's a limited menu depending on what's fresh or in season. I think the prices are bit high, but I guess you get what you pay for. We use to go to the Newport Beach location years ago, but too many tourist and long wait times there made us choose this location.

• Visited March 2011
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Orange, CA
“Great Seafood and good service”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2010

My wife and I love the Tustin location of the Crab Cooker. It is not so full of tourist like the Newport location. The fish is always fresh and the service is excellent. Casual atmosphere.

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Denton, TX
“Can't beat the crab legs, but.....”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2009

I went here with some co-workers on business, so money was not a factor in our determining where to eat. I have always wanted to have King Crab legs and let me tell you, they did not disappoint! We ordered some appetizers and the crab cakes were way overpriced and the quality was sub-par. Also, I had a taste of my co-workers sword fish and it was bland. If you are looking for crab legs, this is the place to go, but other than that, it is only just OK.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Dallas, Texas
“Good seafood without the pretense!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2008

We decided to eat at the Tustin location of this restaurant after reading about the casual atmosphere and good food. When we arrived, the place was busy but there was no waiting time to be seated. The restaurant has a fish market counter near the front door in addition to the dining area. The tables have large breadsticks in plastic containers in addition to the salt and pepper shakers.

We both had iced tea to drink. My dining companion had the manhattan-style crab chowder, while I started with the salad (lettuce, tomatoes, and avocados). The salad, while unoriginal, was enormous.

For our main course we each had the king crab plates ($29.95). With the crab, the dinner plates include two of the following sides: rice pilaf or cheesy mashed potatoes and fresh tomatoes or cole slaw. The crab was served with garlicky-melted butter and lots of lemons.

The food was served in paperware, the utensils and cups were plastic. The only thing that was reusable was the metal seafood cracker. There was so much food. The crab was yummy. The potatoes, tomatoes, and cole slaw were pretty good. After attempting to finish the plates (unsuccessfully), we decided to skip to cheesecake offered for dessert.

Our waitress was quite friendly, keeping my tea glass full (I'm a big tea drinker). If we lived around here, we would definitely come back to try the other seafood.