“Don't let the surrounding area keep you away!” 4 of 5 stars

Motel 99
26442 North Highway 99, Tulare, CA 93274 (Formerly Togas Inn)   |
Ranked #8 of 13 Hotels in Tulare
Norther Central PA
“Don't let the surrounding area keep you away!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2013

Don't let the surrounding area keep you away! There were six in our party...3 adults and 3 children. We had one large room with 3 Q beds. With our senior discount we got a great price. The room was very clean, the beds were comfortable. The internet was slow..not an issue for us. There is a train somewhere close by but it none of us heard it when sleeping. It didn't bother us a bit. The breakfast area was small but clean. Breakfast consisted of coffee, tea, juice, 2 kinds of cereal, and 1 pastry per person only. The downside? You had to pay for ice. and...the building next door was dilapidated and covered in graffiti but at one time it must have been a grand place to stay. There are pictures of it in the motel showing it at it's peak period. It was very ritzy. The owners were very friendly and you could tell they cared about cleanliness. Overall, it was a great value, and I would stay here again.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Tann, Germany
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2013

I stayed there for a week because there was nothing else available in the Tulare area. First I thought I made a big mistake but it turned out to be not to bad. The only downside was the basic breakfast but the rest was good. I can recomend room 111

Room Tip: I can highly recomend Room 111 because there are pictures drawn on the wall about the story of the v...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
COLORADO SPRINGS
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2013

M99 is old but comfortable. I had fresh towels, shampoo and soap everyday also had housekeeping when I didn't really want or need it/comfortable bed and clean pillowcases. The girls at the front desk (3 in my 6-day visit) were clean, nice and polite but were totally useless in giving directions to anywhere!!!! The phone calling area is extremely limited and there was no public phone, (Of course no one knew where there might be one) . The parking lot is in sad need of repair. It is in a remote area but after all it is farm country , what else would you expect?????? If you lower your expectations you'll be fine. I personally didn't get close enough to any maintenance people or groundskeepers or drug dealers to know if they reeked of alcohol. i was just passing thru.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2012 via mobile

Please dont waste your money.... the owner lady Mrs.Darky is a rude ?????. The rooms are dirty,disgusting and smells. I wouldnt dare walk in the room without shoes on. The bedspread was filthy. The pillows???? Well lets just say they belong in the garbage. The help who lives in the back had prostitutes over and deals drugs. On top of consuming alcohol during business hours. Please do not stay here....

• Stayed June 2012
Redlands, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2012

To be honest, Motel 99 was fairly comfortable - our bed was good, the A/C worked, there was plenty of hot water for showers, and we had a fridge and microwave in our room. The two main problems are location and appearance of the property. This motel looks like it was salvaged from the wrecking ball - it is adjacent to a boarded up restaurant just next to Hwy. 99. The owners have endeavored to upgrade the property somewhat, but it still doesn't inspire confidence. Also, the motel is located near a dairy farm, and whenever we stepped out of our room, the smell was pretty overpowering. We stayed in this motel because it was advertised as being near Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Parks, but it was an hour or more drive over very winding mountain roads. Finally, their "complimentary breakfast" consisted of sugary cereals (2 choices), Danish pastries in little packages, and coffee and orange juice. I am not a big "sugar" person, so I thought the breakfast was pathetic. At the very least they should have advertised it as a "continental breakfast". We stayed at another motel a night later that advertisted a complimentary continental breakfast that included waffles, breads and bagels, fresh fruit and all kinds of things.

Bottom line, if you need a cheap place to stay, and you don't care about looks, this is a good place to stay. Otherwise, I wouldn't recommend it.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2011 via mobile

As soon as I walked in the office the little old lady was rude, unfriendly, and scolding me about the rules. I was over charged. The A/C leaked inside the room on my clothing and trying to inform the lady of the problem she denied it made me out to be a liar. My favorite part of the motel from hell experience was the lights were on a timer and had to shower in the dark or wave my hands around every minute to turn back on.

• Stayed August 2011
Boulder, Colorado
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2010

it's called Motel 99 now & we were told it was all newly renovated- NOT! We arrived late & exhausted & asked to see the room, which smelled stale/musty & when we asked if there was a penalty for not taking the room (we'd made reservations days earlier) we were told "it's up to the owners"- so rather than lose the $50/night (& they have a NERVE asking that for this place!!) we stayed-- the building was dirty, old, disgusting. There seemed to be people living there fulltime, and parked right next to the door of our room was an old rusted wheelchair & a pile of junk. It was by far the worst motel of our 2 wk vacation!

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Motel 99? Share your experiences!