“MOTEL 99 REVIEW” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #8 of 13 Hotels in Tulare
COLORADO SPRINGS
“MOTEL 99 REVIEW”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2013

M99 is old but comfortable. I had fresh towels, shampoo and soap everyday also had housekeeping when I didn't really want or need it/comfortable bed and clean pillowcases. The girls at the front desk (3 in my 6-day visit) were clean, nice and polite but were totally useless in giving directions to anywhere!!!! The phone calling area is extremely limited and there was no public phone, (Of course no one knew where there might be one) . The parking lot is in sad need of repair. It is in a remote area but after all it is farm country , what else would you expect?????? If you lower your expectations you'll be fine. I personally didn't get close enough to any maintenance people or groundskeepers or drug dealers to know if they reeked of alcohol. i was just passing thru.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2012 via mobile

Please dont waste your money.... the owner lady Mrs.Darky is a rude ?????. The rooms are dirty,disgusting and smells. I wouldnt dare walk in the room without shoes on. The bedspread was filthy. The pillows???? Well lets just say they belong in the garbage. The help who lives in the back had prostitutes over and deals drugs. On top of consuming alcohol during business hours. Please do not stay here....

• Stayed June 2012
Redlands, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2012

To be honest, Motel 99 was fairly comfortable - our bed was good, the A/C worked, there was plenty of hot water for showers, and we had a fridge and microwave in our room. The two main problems are location and appearance of the property. This motel looks like it was salvaged from the wrecking ball - it is adjacent to a boarded up restaurant just next to Hwy. 99. The owners have endeavored to upgrade the property somewhat, but it still doesn't inspire confidence. Also, the motel is located near a dairy farm, and whenever we stepped out of our room, the smell was pretty overpowering. We stayed in this motel because it was advertised as being near Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Parks, but it was an hour or more drive over very winding mountain roads. Finally, their "complimentary breakfast" consisted of sugary cereals (2 choices), Danish pastries in little packages, and coffee and orange juice. I am not a big "sugar" person, so I thought the breakfast was pathetic. At the very least they should have advertised it as a "continental breakfast". We stayed at another motel a night later that advertisted a complimentary continental breakfast that included waffles, breads and bagels, fresh fruit and all kinds of things.

Bottom line, if you need a cheap place to stay, and you don't care about looks, this is a good place to stay. Otherwise, I wouldn't recommend it.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2011 via mobile

As soon as I walked in the office the little old lady was rude, unfriendly, and scolding me about the rules. I was over charged. The A/C leaked inside the room on my clothing and trying to inform the lady of the problem she denied it made me out to be a liar. My favorite part of the motel from hell experience was the lights were on a timer and had to shower in the dark or wave my hands around every minute to turn back on.

• Stayed August 2011
Boulder, Colorado
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2010

it's called Motel 99 now & we were told it was all newly renovated- NOT! We arrived late & exhausted & asked to see the room, which smelled stale/musty & when we asked if there was a penalty for not taking the room (we'd made reservations days earlier) we were told "it's up to the owners"- so rather than lose the $50/night (& they have a NERVE asking that for this place!!) we stayed-- the building was dirty, old, disgusting. There seemed to be people living there fulltime, and parked right next to the door of our room was an old rusted wheelchair & a pile of junk. It was by far the worst motel of our 2 wk vacation!

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
Netherlands
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2010

I bumped into this motel after clipping out a coupon for a very low price. I was expecting the worst, but got a pretty nice motel, with pool, friendly people and standard but clean rooms. Don't expect the best, but for this price it's definitely as good as it gets.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled solo
A TripAdvisor Member
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2006

While not terrible, my week long stay at the Togas Inn in Tulare California left many things to be desired.

Firt of all, the room I stayed in was fairly clean, but the furniture was old and dirty. I had no desire at all to put my clean clothes in the dirty drawers.

My biggest problem was that though advertised, the wireless internet access was sporadic at best. I am a web designer and it's how I make my living. So during the day I was required to call the front desk constantly to ask the staff to 'reboot' the internet signal. I am also an early riser, and the staff is simply 'not available' prior to 7 or 8 am every morning. So every morning I was unable to do any online work until someone woke up and answered the front desk phone and then rebooted the internet signal.

Lastly, the location of the hotel is awful. No stores, no restaurants, nothing. There is a giant old abandoned niteclub boarded up next door, which frankly is very scary looking. The town of Tulare is only a couple of miles away, but if you need anything at all, you must drive there, nothing is available near the hotel.

• Stayed January 2006

Been to Motel 99? Share your experiences!