“NOT the best Hotel in Tulare!!! Website is misleading and rooms are smoky and dirty!!!” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Charter Inn & Suites

Priceline.com Orbitz.com
Charter Inn & Suites
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   1016 East Prosperity Avenue, Tulare, CA 93274   |
Ranked #4 of 13 hotels in Tulare
Tracy, California, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2013 via mobile

First off, I had extremely high expectations for this hotel, given all of the positive reviews and the website information about the property...all of which turned out to be misleading, or a flat out lie!!! When arrived at the hotel, that I booked in THE FIRST WEEK OF MARCH, I was told that they had "accidentally" overbooked the hotel, and that I would have to move the Best Western...uh, Okay? I was then told to "hold on, let me see what I can do" by the front desk clerk, as if she were doing me some sort of favor. After about 15 minutes or so, she came out to inform me that they had "found" a room for me...great, right? Not so fast ! I then inquired about the free "happy hour" advertised on their website, which boasted of "free beer, wine and snacks." I was told that the "free" beverages were actually $2.50 a pop, and that they have "...been trying to fix that on the website, but it just won't stay fixed"...what???!!! As we finally headed upstairs to our room, I knew we were in trouble, as the distinct smell of cigarette smoke began to invade my nostrils as soon as i stepped off of the elevator in this "non-smoking" establishment. Once inside the room, the smell of stale smoke was so intense that my daughter, who is slightly asthmatic began to cough. I headed back to the desk and asked if there were any non-smoking rooms available...of course there were none, since "all of our rooms are non-smoking, someone must have thought it was a smoking room, since we ran out of door signs"...(again, what???!!!). When I got back to the room, I immediately noticed stains on the walls and switches. There was also either dried splattered feces or blood on the back of the toilet that couldn't be seen with the lid up, as well as a puddle of liquid on the floor that seemed too far from any water source to be just water (?). Needless to say, I began to question all of the housekeeping standards of this location's staff. At this point, we had enough and just wanted out. I went down to tell them about all of our issues, and they were apologetic (albeit only slightly). I was then told that I "probably wouldn't be charged anything", but if I saw charges on my card, I could call the GM and "ask for a reversal" of the charges. Charges for a 10 minute stay...insult to injury is putting it mildly. Do yourself a favor, and stay at the Fairfield Inn And Suites around the corner, there's nothing to see here!

• Stayed April 2013

131 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Grass Valley, Ca
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

My hubby, 9 yo and I walked into the lobby, hot and tired after a long day's drive, hoping for a quiet swim, a soak in the hot tub, and a peaceful night's sleep. But. There were people everywhere. It was a noisy, festive atmosphere and, upon making inquiries, we were told there were multiple children's basketball teams staying there, along with parents and coaches.

I expressed some apprehension about getting a quiet night's sleep, and the lady behind the desk said, "Oh, it's going to be really loud." She then assigned us a room on the 3rd floor. Children were running up and down the halls, yelling and laughing. When we opened the room door, spirits already sagging, a thick cloud of smoke wafted around us. It was a smoking room and we were non-smokers.

We shlepped back down to the front desk and explained the problem to the non-sympathetic young lady. Suddenly the other person working there, Alex, jumped in, ascertained the problem, and escorted us upstairs to a non-smoking room. He promised to speak with the coaches about the noise, and said that he personally would monitor the situation, asking for acceptable volumes of noise. Later he called and offered us, unasked, a healthy discount for our inconvenience.

It wasn't long before we heard a coach bawling out the kids for their behavior in the hallways. Alex really made good: we had a peaceful night's sleep. This dedicated young man turned our experience around in a most pleasant way.

The hotel itself was clean and enjoyable. The hot tub was great. The pool was really cold, but that didn't stop the kids from jumping in and having fun. Breakfast was good, with a large selection of food.

I only hope that Charter looks a little more closely at the people it places behind the front desk: they can really make, or break, the experience.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Bradley
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

We stayed here before but don't remember it being so nice. Our room was super clean and the bed and pillows were very comfortable. We had our granddaughter with us and she slept on the sofa bed, which she said wasn't very comfortable at all. The seating area in the lobby is like somebody's living room. Very nice. The price was more than affordable and the staff were pleasant. We make 3 or 4 trips to Tulare each year and will be staying here again.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Wilsonville, Oregon, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2013

We have stayed in Tulare many times before but never at this facility. The Charter Inn and Suites was a very convenient location, next to a large mall and just off the interstate 5. Our room was booked on Hotels.com and the price was under $75 for a large room with sleeper couch. From first entering the hotel until we left, everything was very nice. The lobby was large with a fireplace and lounge area. Although we did not participate, there was a "happy hour" with complimentary wine and beer. The lounging area was very attractive. We were warmly greeted at registration and the staff was very friendly all the while we were there. It was very quiet in our third floor room. The breakfast was up to par with most other hotels of this kind. Although there was some delay with an elevator that was stuck on the 3rd floor, that was soom remidied and there was little inconvenience in checking out and getting out luggage down to the first floor. Also, the ice machine on the 3rd floor was not working.

Room Tip: I think most rooms were about the same, not sure there is anything special about any part of the bui...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Huntington Beach, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2013

We went up to Yosemite and back to Huntington Beach, CA. Feb. 2013. We stayed here both Fridays going up and back. The location for this place is just off the fwy on Prosperity. The rooms smell good from the cleaning and the beds are very comfortable. They have a nice breakfast with eggs, bacon and waffles you can make. Lots to eat and fruit to take away. It's quiet and close to a mall where you can catch a movie! We would not hesitate to stay there again...very reasonable price with a small pool (we didn't use as the weather was cool...but great for traveling in summer with kids.) Nice personnel as well. Thank you Charter!

Room Tip: My husband has difficulty walking so we stayed on first floor as per request.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2013

A very clean, friendly stay. Excellent location (shopping mall and cinema just behind). Excellent value and a good breakfast.

We made a last minute (inexpensive) booking on Expedia and, for some reason, although we got an immediate confirmation, it took about 15 minutes for the booking to come through to the hotel. They were happy for us to sit in the lounge and enjoy the complementary cheese and biscuits whilst waiting for the formal confirmation of the booking.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Monterey, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013 via mobile

This place was recommended to us when we went to Tulare on a business trip. It was centrally located, safer area in town with a free breakfast. The staff was very polite and professional. I took my whole family on this trip and even took our dog. They charge a very reasonable $10 fee for pets.

The room wad clean although the bed was to hard for me. The breakfast was decent and consisted of breads, cereals, scrambled eggs and sausage. They also had fresh waffles and a variety of drinks.

Overall this was an excellent value and we will stay here again if we ate in Tulare again.

• Stayed January 2013

Been to Charter Inn & Suites? Share your experiences!