“Not too on top of things” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Red Roof Inn Tulare-Downtown/Fairgrounds

Save Saved
You added Red Roof Inn Tulare-Downtown/Fairgrounds to your Saves list
Red Roof Inn Tulare-Downtown/Fairgrounds
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1183 N. Blackstone Street, Tulare, CA 93274 (Formerly Tulare Days Inn)   |
Ranked #9 of 13 hotels in Tulare
cockeysville, md
“Not too on top of things”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2012

It was inexpensive, but not the least in the area. They said they had high-speed wireless in the room -- not. However, I was moved to a room above the lobby were I could get wireless. They seem nice and try to be accommodating, but don't really seem to know and understand the hospitality business. They were going to let me leave over fixing a relatively minor problem...

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Lori M, Internet Relations Manager at Red Roof Inn Tulare-Downtown/Fairgrounds, responded to this review, August 28, 2012
First I want to thank you for your business. I also want to thank you for your comments, as it is reviews like yours that keep us getting growing and learning.

I talked to the Guest Service Representative that I believe helped you, she remembered your situation, and asked her to make sure when helping a guest to make sure to go the extra mile, and to make sure they feel like we want the guests business. I also informed her manager to make sure she more customer service training and to make sure a situation like this does not happen again.

I apologize that they made you feel like we were willing to let you leave unhappy, that is not our goal. We want guests to leave satisfied and happy with their stay.

45 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Cathedral City, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2012

It appears that this older property is trying to get better. But, in the meantime, the room is decorated with old furniture that looks like it has been painted with a brush--all black. None of the furnishings remotely resemble the usual, standard Red Roof furnishings.
Here's what happened when I checked in with my wife and daughter, two rooms. 1) the key would not unlock the door 2) the desk clerk came and was unable to unlock the door, so she changed rooms 3) the other room in the reservation was not made up--no sheets on beds, a mess 4) the desk clerk changed the room. This was just at check in. When I moved the bath mat from the tub to the floor, a small roach was on the bath mat. I killed it and did not see any more.
The motel is old, beat-up, and out-dated. A real downer if you are expecting a Red Roof Inn experience.

Room Tip: There are better choices in the neighborhood.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Lori M, at Red Roof Inn Tulare-Downtown/Fairgrounds, responded to this review, August 28, 2012
Thank you for your criticism and I apologize that you had such a unsatisfactory experience.

I have talked with the desk clerk in question and she has been trained now to make sure that she chooses appropriate rooms. We have also worked with the Head of Housekeeping to make sure that rooms that are marked clean in our system are clean.

We are currently renovating and going through the rooms to update the furniture. The owners are in the process of buying the appropriate items for the brand, but unfortunately they take awhile to arrive, and to order since Red Roof Inn is a growing brand.

The property has a contract with a local exterminator, and when we called this about this they came and sprayed. Our last visit was yesterday August 27th 2012. We informed him of the bug issue that was found so that this will not happen again.

I want to apologize again for your bad experience, and I want to thank you for reviewing. It is comments like yours that help us learn and become a better property.

Sioux Falls, South Dakota
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2012

For a "motel" experience, with the door on the sidewalk, the room decor/upgrades were surprisingly nice. Toilet was wobbly, though. Located along a busy blvd with lots of fast food, if you like that sort of option. Thin walls and active neighbors. Not bad for $50 a night.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
First, I want to thank you for your business, and the comments that you left for us. I am glad you enjoyed our newer furnishings. We are currently renovating the property and plan on taking it from a good place to stay, to a great place to stay..

I apologize that you did not have a comfortable stay with your noisy neighbors, but should you stay with us again if you let us know, we could call them and ask them to quiet down for you, During our rounds around the property we don't always hear any noisy guests.

I informed our maintenance person to keep an eye out for the wobbly toilet that you mentioned so that it will not happen to anyone else. I apologize that it happened in the first place. While we go through our rooms renovating them, we check to make sure everything else is working great, and I am sorry that we missed that.

I want to thank you for your business, and I hope you would be willing to stay with us again.

San Luis Obispo, CA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2012

I booked 2 rooms for my husband and FIL for two nights during the Antique Farm Equipment show. My FIL had to cancel and when I called to cancel his room they'd lost the reservation. I rebooked for my husband for the two nights. When he arrived, they'd lost THAT reservation. They still had room (not surprising?) so he was able to book again. When the credit card statement arrived, they'd charged us for an extra night.

They were very nice to deal with, just not quite with the program!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled solo
I apologize for our issues with your reservations. We were still new to our computer system, and have had issues with some reservations. We switched over to a new system completely and unfortunately we had human error.

Since this review we have done more training and fixed the issues we have had. The desk clerks are more comfortable with the system, and I showed this review to the General Manager so that she is aware of the situation.

I am sorry for taking so long for this response, but I wanted to verify that the double charge on your credit card account was taken care of. If not, please contact the manager, Bernice. She works most mornings and can be reached at the hotel's main line which is (559) 686-0985. I mentioned this double charge to her as well, so if it has still not been taken care of, she is expecting your call.
Orange, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2012

We were on our way to Yosemite from SoCal. The day long drive is too much for our young grandkids, so our family booked 3 rooms at the Red Roof Inn in Tulare, about halfway to Yosemite. The girl who booked us was the same one who checked us in, and she was very nice and accommodating. She made sure we had rooms really close to each other.

The rate we paid was great, especially with the senior discount. The rooms were clean except for the panties left hanging on the shower rod by a previous guest. I guess the housekeeper didn't see them with the shower curtain pulled open. The hotel serves a free continental breakfast, but since it didn't sound like anything more than cinnamon rolls and coffee, we walked to the Denny's next door for a great breakfast. We ate there after checking in the day before, as well, and were happy with the food and service.

The pool looked clean but I'm not sure if it's heated. Free Wi-Fi and room-to-room phone calls. There is a coffee pot in the room but the vending machines on each floor were "sold out."

For the price we paid for our night's stay, we couldn't complain and wouldn't mind returning to the Red Roof Inn the next time we make the long drive to Yosemite with little ones.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
Lori M, Internet Relations Manager at Red Roof Inn Tulare-Downtown/Fairgrounds, responded to this review, June 2, 2012
Thank you for your positive review. I brought your issue to the attention of the maids so moving forward that should never happen again. I would also like to apologize as well for that room not being up to your standards as well.

I mentioned to the new manager to keep an eye on the vending machines as well so that issue should not happen either. They will start being checked regularly.

When you are traveling our way again I would like to invite you back so we can give you the best experience possible!

Lori Mann

Been to Red Roof Inn Tulare-Downtown/Fairgrounds? Share your experiences!